PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw or Bandsaw

peter
1st July 2003, 01:58 PM
OK, I'm looking for opinions here and I know everyone will have a different one but here goes. I am going to make the next purchase for home workshop and I would like to know views on Table Saw or Bandsaw. Which do people get the most use out of and / or which one should I put on top of my list. I know they have different uses and each must have its pros and cons but I would really like some feedback. I can only buy one of them at this point and I am very undecided as I can see uses for both.
Any views would be appreciated.

Thanks again guys,

Peter.

kenmil
1st July 2003, 02:02 PM
It might help to know what you have now in terms of sawing options.

peter
1st July 2003, 02:31 PM
Hi Ken,

I currently have a 10" Makita SCM saw (which is my pride and joy)and access to a very old triton which I do use in table saw mode however I find quite limited in it's use (or maybe it's just the operator).

Peter.

kenmil
1st July 2003, 03:35 PM
Ok, I was in exactly the same position as you recently, and I opted for a table saw. Now the bandsaw folk will tell you that it is an extremely useful and versatile machine, and I don't doubt that at all, (and I will buy one soon), but I think a table saw should be the first choice. Just my opinion, by the way. Others may think differently.

DaveInOz
1st July 2003, 04:29 PM
If you have something that will do the job then spend your money on a tool for a job you can't do.

derekcohen
1st July 2003, 05:13 PM
Peter

The choice of a table saw vs a bandsaw depends on what you wish to cut.

If you plan to do more large work, such as ripping 8' x 4' panels, or believe that you will need to cross-cut boards longer than 12", perhaps do dado work - then the table saw is the better choice. The table saw can also joint boards. It can cut a variety of joints as well (such as tenons, fingers, etc) but these can be cut on the bandsaw (well, fingers cannot - you'd need a router table for that). The table saw is better at cutting large mitres. In essence, the table saw excells at cutting large work, and in cutting straight lines. The cut is limited by the height of the blade (ignore the power of the motor in this regard).

The bandsaw can also rip and cross cut. But it is better suited to smaller work. The bandsaw excells at re-cutting boards, and it is able to do so to not only a much greater tolerance than a table saw (since the bandsaw's blade kerf is much thinner), but it can do much thicker boards (e.g. a 14" bandsaw will cut 6". With a riser kit it will cut 12". The average tablesaw has a blade of 10", which may cut to a depth of 3"). The other advantage of the bandsaw over the tablesaw is in the cutting of curves (this one is, no doubt, obvious).

The tablesaw was one of my first major acquisitions. Like others I first bought a Triton. This lasted about three months as I got progressively more and more frustrated with its lack of setting reliability. About 8 years ago I purchased a 2 hp Carba-tec 12" tablesaw with sliding table. I spent time setting it up and this was time well spent. It has proved reliable and a great work horse.

I purchased a bandsaw a few months ago. A carba-tec (BS-1400, I think). Anyway, it 14" and 3/4 hp. I can't think how I got along without it all these years. I'm learning to resaw, but it is enormously helpful in cutting tenons and curves. Still, given a choice of tablesaw vs bandsaw, I'd go for the tablesaw every time. The reason is that I mainly build larger pieces of furniture (tables, sideboards, wall units). If, on the other hand, I mainly concentrated on turning or small work, the decision would be reversed.

I hope this helps.

Regards from Perth

Derek

John Saxton
1st July 2003, 09:16 PM
Hi Peter,a general concensus probably would be a table saw rather than a bandsaw for a primary purchase.
Look in all the multitude of Hardware shops around and you'll see tablesaws in the form of Triton's, rather than Bandsaws....reason most folk at home probably reckon first off they can achieve more with a table saw not knowing what a Bandsaw is capable of until they then get right into woodworking as Dereks generous post above has pointed out.
Light table saws are OK providing you're fully aware of the limitations but the pricing needs introspection in comparisons!
If you do intend getting serious about a tablesaw take note of Dereks post and his experience ....mine is similar as is countless others.

Bandsaws come in a varying degree of sizes starting from the small Ryobi bench types up to real large floor standing jobs that require a healthy budget and power source to match.
They have their place in the workshop and can achieve all the above post has pointed out but may require different blades to achieve that purpose from fine 1/8" to wide resaw blades 3" and costly dependent on the machine employed.

Summing up and dependent on your woodworking intention then if you're into woodturning I reckon the bandsaw would be the way to go but....if'n you're going to be building furniture then the tablesaw is an absolute necessity for your ripping, crosscutting,bevel cutting, dado cuts,rebating etc.

HTH
Good Luck in your choice.
Cheers:)