PDA

View Full Version : Figure 8 fasteners?

Waldo
10th March 2007, 04:55 PM
G'day,

Just been watching a video at Woodwhisperer.com and the bloke was using Figure 8 Fasteners to fix a table top to the rails.

It impressed me because it was easy to fix each piece and allows for seasonal movement.

My question is, has anyone seen them and wheredoyagetem?

Chesand
10th March 2007, 05:06 PM
Waldo
I have seen them at some Mitre10, Bunnings etc but probably much cheaper at Bradley & Wilson Bell St Preston or other similar supplier

Waldo
10th March 2007, 05:29 PM
G'day Chesand,

Thanks for that info.

I've never heard of them before, but then I haven't heard of a lot of things, so thanks for answering what might have been general knowledge. :2tsup:

bsrlee
10th March 2007, 09:08 PM
Just don't use them (or the 'Z' clips) in a design where people are going to pick it up by the top. My first big project was a 2100x900 Tassie Oak trestle dining table & used metal clips to fasten the top. It took about 2 months for the diminutive cleaning lady to pull the top off by straightening the 'z' clips out - these were subsequently replaced with hardwood blocks with a tongue to go in the existing groove, and are still going fine 5+ years later.

Shedhand
10th March 2007, 09:21 PM
I've been using figure 8's for years - probably 25 years come to think of it. Zenith brand in blister packs of 12 I think. I usually have 4 or 5 packs on hand. Very handy. Not expensive and a lot stronger than Z clips.

RufflyRustic
11th March 2007, 09:42 AM
Hi Waldo,

Get a copy of your latest Australian Woodsmith, look for the part where they are giving away samples of figure 8s and z clips.

Offer closes before 31 March 2007.

Cheers
Wendy

Waldo
11th March 2007, 03:03 PM
G'day Ruffly,

:cool: :2tsup: