PDA

View Full Version : Table Rails

hsc07ww
11th March 2007, 01:59 PM
Hi,

Im using mortise & tenon joint to attach sides & back of table to legs.
The front of the table will have a drawer with a false front which stops against a top and bottom rail. I am trying to decide whether to use a mortise & tenon joint, buiscuit joint or something else to attach the rails to the leg for the drawer to stop against. I was wondering if I use a buiscuit joint is the rest of the table adequetly supported or is the front going to weaken the rest?

hope you understand.

Thanks

Tex B
11th March 2007, 02:27 PM
If you're using mortise and tenon for the rest, I'd suggest the same for the front rail. You can cut the front and back rails the same lengths, cut the tenons with the same setup, and it should be perfect. Introducing a different method gives more opportunities for mistakes. Don't ask me how I know this.

Tex

eddie the eagle
11th March 2007, 06:18 PM
Something else, HSC...

Google on top rail dovetail into leg

The bottom rail/drawer blade is usually stub tenoned into the leg.

CHeers,

eddie

tazchris
12th March 2007, 08:35 PM
Hi there,I would deffinately use the tennon joint,it is much stronger than a biscuit joint.Put a 5or6mm dowel through the joint (pinned)to add more strength if you want to.A corner block glued&screwed on is great too.If you can't corner block the front rails,I'd dowel them on before doing a biscuit joint.The front rail won't weaken the table if you screw the top down onto the rails.