PDA

View Full Version : Marquetry & Tarsia

Frank&Earnest
12th March 2007, 06:53 PM
Hello everybody. Happy to stand corrected if I'm wrong, but after looking at half a dozen dictionaries and woodworking books I'm convinced that intarsia and marquetry are two names for the same technique, just borrowed at different times from French and Italian by the English language. For the sake of clarity, and to give a bit more dignity to the subject (the number of threads is pitifully small :( ), I suggest that the two topics should be merged.

By all means, keep both in the title if you do not want to get into a fight over which one is the best to use. Although not really supported by any source, nor by the present content of the threads, I like to think that marquetry could be used when the technique is applied to furniture etc, intarsia (or better, tarsia) could be used when the technique produces a "painting in wood" without a functional purpose.

As an example, here are pictures of the "marquetry" on a replica Maggiolini cupboard and of what I would call a "tarsia", both made in the 50's by an artisan in Brianza (an area between Milan and Switzerland).

Looking forward to your comments.

oges
12th March 2007, 07:15 PM
Well the technique for marquetry and intarsia are the same, but the thickness of the timber used is different. Marquetry basically uses bits of veneer to make the 'design' whilst Intarsia uses thicker timber that is shaped to make the design a more 3d effect.
Then there is Segmentation which is like Intarsia but the timber comes from one piece and the segments are stained to the appropriate colour.
I have just joined a local club here and the members do Intarsia and Marquetry so im hoping to get my first piece done soon

Frank&Earnest
12th March 2007, 07:25 PM
Oges, according to the sources I have looked at, the distinction you make is not correct. Marquetry or intarsia is the use of veneer on a flat surface, the use of thicker material for a 3d effect is inlay. Could you quote the source for your interpretation? Thanks.

oges
13th March 2007, 04:41 PM
That was just my interpretation on what I thought it was.
This may explain more than i can
Marquetry Org (http://www.marquetry.org/what_is_it.htm)

echnidna
13th March 2007, 04:49 PM
Sounds like myth busters are needed here :oo: :oo: :oo: :oo:

chrisb691
13th March 2007, 07:34 PM
As a Marquetarian, I would define Marquetry as being a picture, or shape, that is made from thin veneers, and which is surface mounted on a base material. The keys to the definition, are, that it is thin veneer, and that it is a surface mount.

Now, Intarsia is usually mounted onto some sort of substrate, but it is made from thick materials. So I don't believe the definition fits, which makes it a different. Also, it is 3 dimensional, which marquetry isn't.

Mind you, and just to confuse the issue. Some of the early French inlay work, is also referred to as marquetry. So I guess the definition is fluid, and changes over time.

Having said that, I don't have a problem with the forums being meged.

Frank&Earnest
13th March 2007, 10:08 PM
. So I guess the definition is fluid, and changes over time.

Having said that, I don't have a problem with the forums being merged.

My sentiments entirely. What's the point of a distinction if nobody is sure of what it really is?

It is reasonably clear that there is no argument about what marquetry is. It is also well documented what the historic intarsia of 1300-1500 Italy was. The problem seems to be with the variety of interpretations of what intarsia as made today is (certainly not the historic one).

I do not have a barrow to push, an ax to grind or any other cliche' prejudice :D. All I am trying to do is a bit of myth busting (thanks Echidna!:2tsup:).

For the sake of the credibility of the forum, the options could be:

- merge the topics, call it "marquetry and similar" and let everybody be happy (the easy one);

- take a referendum of what everybody would like the definition of intarsia to be, call it "Australian standard intarsia" :rolleyes: and try to stick to it;

- keep the word "intarsia' to refer to the real thing and call the others "multicoloured wood jigsaw puzzle" if flat or "multicoloured wood shallow relief" if not :p.

Of course, option 2 and 3 require monitors to stricly enforce consistency...:oo:

And also of course, there is always the good old Aussie option: "who gives a **** anyway?"

Where do we go from there: take a poll?

Cheers
Frank

WoodGirl
14th March 2007, 10:43 AM
And also of course, there is always the good old Aussie option: "who gives a **** anyway?"

Sounds good to me! :)

mongrell
14th March 2007, 04:24 PM
thats excactly it wood girl

Buzza
14th March 2007, 10:04 PM
My two bob's worth if I may. :D

Scrollsawing and Intarsia would go hand in hand as the thicker material for Intarsia needs a scroll saw to cut it I think. Marquetry on the other hand would have a scalpel like tool to cut the thin veneers out.

To confuse it all even more, isn't there a fooring made up of thick little blocks of wood called Marquetry flooring? Therefore, Marquetry can be thick or thin I would think. :?

Intarsia sounds Romanesque or Italian, whilst Marquetry sounds French to me, thereby maybe providing a clue.

Intaglio is the recessed pattern, in direct oppostion to Cameo, a raised relief pattern. :?

Barry_White
14th March 2007, 10:13 PM

To confuse it all even more, isn't there a fooring made up of thick little blocks of wood called Marquetry flooring? Therefore, Marquetry can be thick or thin I would think. :?

:?

Buzza

I think you would find that is called parquetry.

chrisb691
15th March 2007, 07:44 AM
Buzza

I think you would find that is called parquetry.

Quite correct. Mind you, if you make geometric shapes in Marquetry, it's called parquetry. :D

Marquetry on the other hand would have a scalpel like tool to cut the thin veneers out.

:?

The cutting method is irrelevant to marquetry. Knife, scrollsaw, and laser, can all be used, and it's still marquetry.

Frank&Earnest
15th March 2007, 01:24 PM
Well, let's get rid of a couple of red herrings.
The only true difference, historically, between intarsia and marquetry is that intarsia uses other materials besides wood (bone, ivory, mother of pearl, metal). Carving a hole or rising the border is not relevant, given that the outcome looks the same. Thickness is also a red herring: in the 1300s it was up to 8mm, progressively getting thinner with the improvement of veneering technology. It makes sense: if all you want to see is a flat surface, no point in wasting precious material. By 1500 the thickness had settled at 1-2 mm. The use of other materials lost favour, so virtually only marquetry in a strict sense was left. By the time the technique reached the barbarians:D the distinction was lost: the English word, borrowed from the French, seems to include all materials.

This said, the point is still what we want to do about it.
So far, 2 votes for the "she'll be right, mate" option, 2 for the merger, 0 for the others.

chrisb691
15th March 2007, 07:13 PM
This said, the point is still what we want to do about it.
So far, 2 votes for the "she'll be right, mate" option, 2 for the merger, 0 for the others.

Why do we need to do anything? The mods, and probably our host, would have noted the thread, and, if they feel it has merit and will benefit the forum, will take appropriate action. Whatever that might be.

From your posts, it is obvious that you have been researching the subject. However, looking at you posts since your January join date, I can't find any other post in either of the 2 forums in question. Generally, your main interest appears to be woodturning, and sculpture. So I'm a little puzzed as to what the driving force is on this, as you seem so determined to generate a change.

No I'm not having a go at you....just interested in your reasons. :)

Frank&Earnest
15th March 2007, 10:11 PM
Hi Chris, thanks for caring.

Why do we need to do anything? The mods, and probably our host, would have noted the thread, and, if they feel it has merit and will benefit the forum, will take appropriate action. Whatever that might be.

That was my intention, not a peep from them yet, though. Some people have faith, others look for reason... we'll soon see whether your unwavering faith is justified! :2tsup:

From your posts, it is obvious that you have been researching the subject. However, looking at you posts since your January join date, I can't find any other post in either of the 2 forums in question. Generally, your main interest appears to be woodturning, and sculpture.

You would also have found that in this very short time I have also gingerly approached physics, tree lopping, art and education, collector's tools and building a mill... you can call me a Renaissance man if you wish...:U

So I'm a little puzzed as to what the driving force is on this, as you seem so determined to generate a change.

No I'm not having a go at you....just interested in your reasons. :)

See above... attention seeking?:;

Cheers
Frank

WoodGirl
15th March 2007, 10:58 PM
That was my intention, not a peep from them yet, though. Some people have faith, others look for reason... we'll soon see whether your unwavering faith is justified! :2tsup:

Our host is also a woodwork judge ... I'm sure he has based the forums on modern day woodwork, not that from 200BC :rolleyes:

Frank&Earnest
16th March 2007, 08:46 PM
Our host is also a woodwork judge ... I'm sure he has based the forums on modern day woodwork, not that from 200BC :rolleyes:

Your Honour, the defendant, Ms WoodGirl, having previously pleaded guilty to the crime of ignorapathy so commonly found in Your jurisdiction, is now appealing to Your clemency. She is showing remorse and has publicly stated that she, like all good woodwork forumites, will abide by your definition of Modern Intarsia in all her future contributions to the forum.

I rest my case :2tsup: .

WoodGirl
17th March 2007, 11:31 AM
I STILL don't give a rat's what it's called :) I was merely pointing out that the boss who owns this forum obviously sees a distinction between intarsia and marquetry, thus the separate forums. No-one is holding a gun to YOUR head though if you wish to post your "modern" Intarsia under that category if you called it marquetry in a previous life and still believe it should be called that. I look forward to seeing your work in the Marquetry forum :)

Frank&Earnest
18th March 2007, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the :) :) , WoodGirl, I take them to mean that you took my little attempt at humour for what it was meant to be. Everything you say is fine with me:

the boss who owns this forum obviously sees a distinction between intarsia and marquetry
...if you wish to post your "modern" Intarsia under that category if you called it marquetry in a previous life and still believe it should be called that I look forward to seeing your work in the Marquetry forum.which implies that you are going to read both topics anyway so it does not matter what you find there: exactly my point for suggesting a merger.

If, however, the 'boss' thinks that a distinction is worth keeping, I believe that he has an obligation of explicitly stating what the distinction is, so we all know where to post and where to find what we want to talk about: isn't this a reasonable expectation of a well organised forum?

Call me pedantic if you wish, but I am a firm believer that we all have an obligation to contribute to the best of our abilities... and I am much better at problem solving than at marquetry :). I also think I am better at humour, but I might be deluded...:D

Cheers
Frank

journeyman Mick
18th March 2007, 01:23 PM
..................If, however, the 'boss' thinks that a distinction is worth keeping, I believe that he has an obligation of explicitly stating what the distinction is,..................

Frank,
actually I think you'll find "the boss" has nothing of the sort. If certain aspects seem quirky to you or there's aspects you don't like, well, there's a few things you can do:

a) ignore them
b) go elsewhere
c) hang around, post pictures of your marquetry or intarsia in whatever section you see fit. If practitioners of above arts/crafts see the need for change then I'm sure you can all reach a consesus and ask Neil nicely if such a change can be made (rather than demend that he makes any distinction explicit)

We're all guests here, which reminds me of a good saying:

"It's the host's responsiility to ensure that his guests feel at home and the guest's responsibility to remember that he's not" :;

Mick

chrisb691
18th March 2007, 02:10 PM
........... I believe that he has an obligation of explicitly stating what the distinction is........

WE are the guests!!!! Neil is NOT obligated to us, rather it is the other way round.
:closed:

WoodGirl
18th March 2007, 03:52 PM
which implies that you are going to read both topics anyway so it does not matter what you find there: exactly my point for suggesting a merger.

No, I will call in on the Marquetry forum occasionally to see if you've posted any of your work.

Frank&Earnest
18th March 2007, 04:27 PM
My sincere apology. I totally agree with you, Chris and Mick, my choice of words could have been better.

This said, though, you question my expression, not my concept. In other words, you are shooting the messenger. My previous posts should have made clear that I was trying to do just what Mick suggests at point c):

"If practitioners of above arts/crafts see the need for change then I'm sure you can all reach a consesus and ask Neil nicely if such a change can be made"

I am open to any suggestions on how else (appropriateness of expression beside) I could have asked the other members (not "guests" if you want to be precise) of the forum for such consensus. At this point the only apparent consensus is apathy, not for lack of trying on my part. If I had not sought this consensus, the easy (and in retrospect possibly better) way would have been to PM the administrator and leave it to him.

If my wording of the suggestion that making the distinction explicit was good management made it look like an inappropriate demand of the host, again I apologise. While I appreciate your intention, however, I would argue that you push the administrator/host similarity too far. No members, no forum. What worries me is that what started as a rather innocuous and light hearted suggestion seems to have turned into a trial for treason.

Sorry, no smilies for this one.
Cheers
Frank

bentley
20th March 2007, 10:20 AM
i have allways known marquetry as glueing a patern
or picture made from veneers of timber, to a wooden base so that it forms a flat panel and that intarsia is,
made from thicker blocks of timber either all the same
thickness or of different thickness glued to a flat panel
to make a three dimensional patern or picture.the diference is quite significant and i dont think the names should be tamperd with

Frank&Earnest
20th March 2007, 11:41 AM
Welcome MB, and thanks for your positive contribution! I am really chuffed that you decided to join the forum and made this your first post.

You clearly expressed your opinion and explained the reason on which it was based. The best any poster in any forum can do, whatever the level of their wisdom and knowledge. Right or wrong does not matter, the debate will develop new and better ideas for everybody. Congratulations! :2tsup:

SPIRIT
20th March 2007, 11:52 AM
debate will develop . Congratulations! :2tsup:
where S/c he likes a good debate your not just fishing again for a bite:D
ps :U

Frank&Earnest
20th March 2007, 12:11 PM
Arty, you smart ***!:U Seriously though, isn't this what a forum is about?:doh: Incidentally, I have seen in other threads awesome relief carvings passed as Intarsia because of the joining of different timbers. You are an excellent carver, what is your take on those?

bentley
20th March 2007, 02:04 PM
i would like to throw another name into the equation
because the correct name for wooden blockwork flooring
is parquetry

Barry_White
20th March 2007, 02:11 PM
i would like to throw another name into the equation
because the correct name for wooden blockwork flooring
is parquetry

That was mentioned earlier in the thread you mustn't have read the whole thread.

SPIRIT
20th March 2007, 02:23 PM
its a bit (please corect me if this is the wrong use of the word l know the spelling is wrong) PERDANTIC :?
l used to be in a organic gardening club there would be people giveing advice that didn't have a garden we called them couch gardeners :~

l have seen one of yours so this is not you franky (like to see some more )

so the answer to your question ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,who cares

dazzler
22nd March 2007, 11:33 AM
Dont stop. Please.:(

This is really, really exciting stuff :D

DPerry
22nd March 2007, 12:28 PM
??????:? :? :? :? :rolleyes: :doh: :D http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=30093

Dennis

KevM
22nd March 2007, 12:52 PM
Frank,
Can't see how you can call this type of work marquetry.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=42209&d=1174132447

Frank&Earnest
22nd March 2007, 01:39 PM
Indeed. Or intarsia.

- keep the word "intarsia' to refer to the real thing and call the others "multicoloured wood jigsaw puzzle" if flat or "multicoloured wood shallow relief" if not :p.

ETA Kev, if you have already read this and it sounded blunt, sorry. It was meant to be funny, but I had to leave in a hurry and did not check it out. Don't get me wrong, your work is very beautiful whatever its name, and if the consensus is that this is what "modern intarsia" is, I could not be any happier for this to be the definition. There would still be the problem of deciding which way a flat panel that looks like marquetry made with thick timber will fall (I would suggest with marquetry, for the reason already explained).

Once the consensus has been reached, we can all humbly petition the Macquarie, Oxford and Webster's dictionaries to update their entries for "intarsia" and "tarsia". Language evolves!

A piece of trivia: the Webster's 1989 edition has the correct etymology for the anglicised intarsia (from Arabic) and a silly one for tarsia (from Greek!).

Cheers
Frank

Frank&Earnest
22nd March 2007, 01:42 PM
Dont stop. Please.:(

This is really, really exciting stuff :D

Well, I was going to give up, but if you insist...:D

Frank&Earnest
22nd March 2007, 04:50 PM
??????:? :? :? :? :rolleyes: :doh: :D http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=30093

Dennis

Yes Dennis, that is awesome marquetry, no doubt about it!:)

SPIRIT
22nd March 2007, 10:02 PM
:fish: so if there is a diffrents between them when dose a thin strip of wood become a block of wood

bentley
23rd March 2007, 02:21 PM
yes you are correct i am old,blind and partly illiterate

thanks for pointing out my failings i dont know if you

score points for such trivial matters but mark down

100 to your taly:roll:

Wild Dingo
27th March 2007, 03:22 AM
Well yous mob Im gonna stick me beak in about ere and mutter something absofrigginlutley brilliant :2tsup: ... as usual :;

To me the two are different... and although "interested" in intarsia Ive no desire as yet to do any... blame the shytey scroll saw :doh: ...while I am gaining a huge passion for marquetry :2tsup: I can see the beauty and workmanship that goes into intarsia as shown in the eagle above but its simply not the same as marquetry... as we know it!

That being the point I think of the two distinct forum areas for what is known nowadays as two distinct art forms using two distinctly different forms of the same medium... that being timber in small sizes to create art... in that is the sole similarity shown... in its thickness of materials used the method and execution of creation and the end result is the difference that creates the very differences that make the need for the two distinct forum areas necessary

If Neil chooses to combine so be it... I suppose we could post with say an M or an I added at the end of the title to distinguish between the two? but it would or should not stop any from posting their works... I do see where Frank is coming from in that the forums dont AS YET have many contributions in the two areas... but that may well be only a reflection on the numbers of those forum members actually doing either rather than a reflection on possible future forum needs to make a distinction between the two art forms? Neil has been known to be ahead of his time from time to time :;

I like it the way it is...

Comparing Marquetry and Intarsia are like comparing a painters work with that of a sketcher... imagine both squaring up to the canvas sitting on the easel a vase of flowers the object de art... both are creating art resulting from the artist using something to create a picture on a canvas... but using different media to get their different results of the same object de art... both are artists but only one is a painter while only one is the sketcher and both results of the same object de art are distinctly different

Same for Marquetry and Intarsia :2tsup:

Oh and does it make Marquetry Intarsia if one adds another medium to gain another dimension to the effect desired in the finished picture? No.. the use of different media {gems wire silver thicker timber paint etc} for highlights is as old as the artform itself... Ive often used gems opals citrine amithist ruby etc in my marquetry and in one Ive recently begun will be using a semi circle of huon pine 1/8th thick for the setting sun.. it will still be marquetry and notr intarsia... as we know it

Another thought what is it called when one uses bark leaves or other 3d forms from nature to create a picture? I recall years ago on our honeymoon we were in the Tea Tree Gully {SA} shopping centre where a bloke had a stall with framed pictures of scenes created using bits of wood bark stones leaves and such what took my attention was the attention to detail in the scenes he had created the one on the back of the lounge was enormous and stunning... but what would one call that form of artwork?

Cheers

See? :q I tol yer it was gonna be flamin brilliant!! :U

Frank&Earnest
27th March 2007, 04:50 PM
Wild Dingo, are you sitting down? Good, prepare for the shock. Your post was indeed brilliant. (Can't be otherwise, I agree with all of it!:D )

So, let's summarise:

* there are two distinct art forms, each worth of its own forum, that apply similar techniques and combine diverse materials, mainly but not necessarily kinds of wood, to create:
1 - a design on a flat surface
2 - a relief carving

The first one is definitely marquetry. Let's for the moment set aside the issue about the thickness of the material. As Arty quite rightly put it, " when does a thin strip of wood become a block of wood"?

The second one appears to be generally known in the English speaking world (there is still a little bit of other world out there, you know?:D ) as "intarsia".

* The main British, American and Australian dictionaries have not yet caught up with this evolution of the language. They still indicate with this name the ancient technique.

* The woodworking community should, in my opinion, express its consensus on the modern acceptance of the word. If nobody cares, so be it, but wouldn't you agree that this the "professional" way to go?

The ball is in your (plural) court.

Cheers
Frank

journeyman Mick
27th March 2007, 11:41 PM
..............The ball is in your (plural) court......

I think "youse's" is the word you're after. :D :oo:

Mick

Frank&Earnest
28th March 2007, 12:26 AM
I think "youse's" is the word you're after. :D :oo:

Mick
Don't get me started on the ambiguity of the English language....:D :C :?

Wild Dingo
28th March 2007, 01:00 AM
Wild Dingo, are you sitting down? Good, prepare for the shock. Your post was indeed brilliant. (Can't be otherwise, I agree with all of it!:D )

:U :U See?? I tol yous mob I could do it!! hard as buggary but by gawd I did done did it eh! :U :U gawd Im flamin good :2tsup: :;

* The woodworking community should, in my opinion, express its consensus on the modern acceptance of the word. If nobody cares, so be it, but wouldn't you agree that this the "professional" way to go?

Professional??? Stop yer damned swearin fella theres sheilas here!! :~ Professional? here?? :U :U :U :U :U oooh gawd yer crack me up Frank... here?? :U :U ahem sorry got a tad carrie :U :U away... oooh gawd that was good cheers mate :2tsup:

The ball is in your (plural) court.

Cheers
Frank

Now yer gettin flamin personal :o ... strewth weather the ball is in my court or not is none of yer business!! :~ do I tell you where your ball is? no I flamin well dont!! :~ geeez mate get it right :roll: :q

But Marquetry is marquetry an intarsia is intarsia an never the twain shall meet :2tsup: ... There is a reason for the two different fori here :; dont you worry mate young Neil the forum wonderman is watchin this progression here and prepare ye for a gentle rattatattat on the noggin... hes like that is our fearless bearded leader :;

Frank&Earnest
28th March 2007, 12:11 PM
Professional??? Stop yer damned swearin fella theres sheilas here!! :~ Professional? here?? :U :U :U :U :U oooh gawd yer crack me up Frank... here?? :U :U ahem sorry got a tad carrie :U :U away... oooh gawd that was good cheers mate :2tsup:

OK, OK, you win. I know when I am beaten. I will go into voluntary exile in "professional" land (i.e. some other thread until I am kicked out of there too) :D. Will send you some "wish you were here" postcards every now and then. Farewell dear friends...:C

chrisb691
28th March 2007, 01:17 PM
:clap:

Wild Dingo
28th March 2007, 09:25 PM
OK, OK, you win. I know when I am beaten. I will go into voluntary exile in "professional" land (i.e. some other thread until I am kicked out of there too) :D. Will send you some "wish you were here" postcards every now and then. Farewell dear friends...:C

I WIN??? wahoooo!! whadid I win eh? eh? comeon!!! whahooooeee damn now thats a flamin first!! :2tsup:

See Neil??? I can win!!! :q

no prize of course :C but still :; ... I winnded I did!! :2tsup:

Mind you I had no idea I was in a competition but there yer go! :U :U

Now come on Frank you know you cant have it both ways right? you say

I will go into voluntary exile and then blame us by saying
until I am kicked out of there too So have you voluntarily left the room or were you kicked out by someone? :o mmm maybe you voluntarily kicked your own bum out of the room? :q

Well done... aaah yes poor Frank I knew him well :U put up a valiant fight yer did :2tsup: ...but well... after the blood an gore has settled an all was said an done...

You loose! :doh: :U :U

Buzza
28th March 2007, 10:32 PM
Bazza, you have caught me out there with parquetry flooring. How right you are? :)

Frank&Earnest
29th March 2007, 08:21 AM
I WIN??? wahoooo!! whadid I win eh? eh? comeon!!! whahooooeee damn now thats a flamin first!! :2tsup:

See Neil??? I can win!!! :q

Well, Mick, you (singular) were right. I should have used youse :rolleyes: . Notch this down as another obnoxious result of the ambiguity of the English language.

You loose! :doh: :U :U
Yes. Patience. Very quickly.

Bob H
9th April 2007, 07:59 AM
For gawd's sake go look at Wikipedia for definitions.
And stop the foolishness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intarsia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marquetry.

I have done both. Intarsia and Marquetry.
'nuff said.

Frank&Earnest
10th April 2007, 01:32 AM
Well, Bob H, the "foolishness" had already stopped two weeks ago, which makes me think that either you respond extremely slowly, or you spent this time editing the Wikipedia entry, which you certainly know accepts any cr*p from anybody until edited by somebody else with a different opinion that might be even more cr*p. :U

This said, I sincerely thank you for the suggestion. Given that the writer of that entry appears not to have a sufficient historical and linguistic background to make a decent job of it, I might take up the challenge of editing that entry myself quoting more solid sources. If monolingual anglophones were just not so damn arrogant, there would be no need for presumptuous people like me, would it?:D

Whatever anybody might think reading this, I am not the crusader type. I positively dislike zealots of any description. This all started as a light hearted suggestion in what appeared to be a friendly and appropriate forum for the discussion. It is now evident that this forum is generally friendly but not appropriate for this type of discussion: you have to concede that when I realised that insisting was "foolish", to use your words, I tried to bow out gracefully.:wink:

Anyway, fear not: by the end of next week I should finally have the shed electrified and filled with machinery, so I will get my hands dirty and not waste your time and mine with theoretical issues anymore!:U

Cheers (and no hard feelings!)
Frank

journeyman Mick
10th April 2007, 01:49 AM
...........Anyway, fear not: by the end of next week I should finally have the shed electrified and filled with machinery,.........

Frank,
it's better and certainly safer not to actually electrify the shed.:o Best bet is to train the stuff to stay in the cables and conduits unless it's actually running around in the workings of those machines.:doh:

Mick

Frank&Earnest
10th April 2007, 09:46 AM
Frank,
it's better and certainly safer not to actually electrify the shed.:o Best bet is to train the stuff to stay in the cables and conduits unless it's actually running around in the workings of those machines.:doh:

Mick

:U

Wild Dingo
11th April 2007, 01:21 AM
If monolingual anglophones were just not so damn arrogant, there would be no need for presumptuous people like me, would it?

Oi sport I resemble that remark!! :~

Whatever anybody might think reading this, I am not the crusader type. I positively dislike zealots of any description. This all started as a light hearted suggestion in what appeared to be a friendly and appropriate forum for the discussion. It is now evident that this forum is generally friendly but not appropriate for this type of discussion: you have to concede that when I realised that insisting was "foolish", to use your words, I tried to bow out gracefully:

BUT!! you couldnt could you? noooooo we wouldnt let you!! :woot:

Anyway, fear not: by the end of next week I should finally have the shed electrified and filled with machinery, so I will get my hands dirty and not waste your time and mine with theoretical issues anymore!

Cheers (and no hard feelings!)
Frank

No taken ol chap none taken! and of course remember ol chap :rule:

But as has been said old boy dont electrify the shed its okay you dont have to go to extremes and zap yerself on this account man its only a thread eh? relax chill have a beer :cheers2: and mate for what its worth? I like these types of threads!! good value in my book...

grouchy ol Canuks not withstandin of course :tongueroll:

yeah yeah so I like cuttin close to the edge of drivel... but then I dont do drivel I do dribble a lot safer and Neil proof!! me > :slap2: < Neil oooh yeah!!

Whaaaaaaa??? :fisch:

Frank&Earnest
11th April 2007, 01:41 AM
Oi sport I resemble that remark!! :~

Dingo, you are super! I have to admit I was concerned that somebody could resent my sarcasm, but you have brilliantly defused it with great Aussie dry humour. Excellent!:)
Cheers
Frank

Wild Dingo
11th April 2007, 03:14 AM
Dingo, you are super! I have to admit I was concerned that somebody could resent my sarcasm, but you have brilliantly defused it with great Aussie dry humour. Excellent!
Cheers
Frank

oooh yes indeed us Aussies over here in the west have a brilliant wit and ever ready quip to use on yous :ohyou: foreigners from the east

Mate personally I think way too many people take themselves way too seriously :shrug: ...and well "sarcasm..." as me ol now sainted mum would say "...is the lowest form of wit"... which she always followed with "... so if you see or hear it or a polly on election day or any other day me boy give it shyte!" and bein the good lad I am I do :boxing5: ... every chance I have

Most people are cognisant of me stunnin wit brilliant quips and staggerin turn of phrase mate :eheheh: and well most realize when one is joking and therefore takin the phiss while others... well others... well lets say annully retentive comes to mind!!! :disgust1:

Im glad whoever it was showed me where all these little flamin smilie thingys were hidden... what a treasure trove!! :laughing1: this one in particular I enjoy... oooooh Neil?? have anothery just like the othery ol mate! :slap2: oooooooh am I on a roll tonight!!!

DAMN!! bloody mongrel 7 smilie rule!! Whos mongrel flamin idiotic idea was that??? eh? someone get a grip!! I mean its common knowledge that some of us NEED those smilies to keep the fights to a minimum without them its just words on a screen no personality no emotion just words AND YOU KNOW what happens when its just words!! fights misconceptions mis interpretations all that gumph... oooh woe Im outta smilies just when I need anothery to soothe the beast Im stirrin!... oh okay revert to ROFLMAO eh? no worries then ROFLAMO... makes a whole lot of difference didnt it? sigh

flippinchippin
18th April 2007, 06:38 PM
There are now so many posts on this thread that the argument over it's relevance many necessitate it's existence........ irony?:rolleyes:

Wild Dingo
24th April 2007, 06:28 PM
There are now so many posts on this thread that the argument over it's relevance many necessitate it's existence........ irony?:rolleyes:

irony?? what irony? its all clear rational informed discourse mate... even my own intellectually stimulating nonscence has some rather rational if not informed and clear as mud relevence... at times :roll:

Thing that disturbs me most is the high level of near drivel on this thread... not drivel per se but near drivel I mean some of these gits sure can waffle on cant they? :; Just wish theyd learn to stick to the ol KISS method meself... you know keep it straight an stupid? blitherin idiots! I mean to say different as chalk and cheese is this tarsia an marquetry different as Wendy an me eh? but no they gotta rabbit on about this an than twistin an turnin the topic so people start to think about ironing an such :roll: me I thought that was the sheilas thing... you know ironin... but well whatever floats yer boat is cool with me :doh:

Now did we sort it out yet Frank?... you want some more help an eludicashun on this matter ol son? I mean surely we havent finished yet? We were only just arcin up the barbie here!! :2tsup:

flippinchippin
24th April 2007, 11:16 PM
Steady, Steady, Dingo, I am a West Aussie at heart myself, don't mean to start no trouble....... what was that said about letting sleeping dogs lie?

Wild Dingo
25th April 2007, 12:58 AM
Steady, Steady, Dingo, I am a West Aussie at heart myself, don't mean to start no trouble....... what was that said about letting sleeping dogs lie?

me??? you talkin to me? I mean... me??? :o Im cool Im good Im fine heck Im flamin easy as anything mate... just pullin ye chain me ol china plate just pullin yer chain :; :U

flippinchippin
25th April 2007, 06:14 PM
Of course, it's all good for a laugh though. :rotfl: