PDA

View Full Version : CRIKEY MATE .have ya seen NZ

John Saxton
12th March 2007, 10:46 PM
Ok, headin' over to NZ for another look see soon to explore some of the not so popular spots for tourists.

For those that have tried and tested., what do ya reckon on the outta the way recommendations ..mebbe offa the beaten track.

Be keen to hear of your views!

Cheers:)

oldbob13
12th March 2007, 11:17 PM
John
What are your interests and which island? or both
BobT

Spaski
12th March 2007, 11:43 PM
Check out Invercargil down South for something different. Also Southern end of lake Taupo if you like a bit of trout fishing or feeding depending on your success.

Enjoy !

fred.n
13th March 2007, 07:22 AM
Waiouru military museum is also worth a look, it's just down from lake Taupo

Gumby
13th March 2007, 08:02 AM
If you are in the South Island, head up to Picton.

Then across to Nelson, and make sure you spend a night here...
http://wheelhouse.nelson.co.nz/wheelhouse.html

From there, the Able Tasman National Park is worth a look.

If you haven't done the train trip from Greymouth to Christchurch, then that's a beauty as well.

We also spent a few days at Akoroa. Very relaxing. :)

Ianab
13th March 2007, 09:37 AM
Plenty of 'off the beaten path' places around NZ.

What do you want to do, how are you travelling and where abouts are you going to be based?

I've explored a lot of the country and can probably steer you to some nice spots if I know what you are looking for.

Cheers

Ian

floobyduster
13th March 2007, 11:30 AM
If you're north of Auckland and you want to drool over some REAL timber don't miss the Kauri Museum. :2tsup:

Check it out at http://www.kauri-museum.com/

RufflyRustic
13th March 2007, 12:27 PM
The Southward Car Museum - there's a river-side park further down this road that's a great place for a picnic too.
The Coremandel Coast area - pm me if you'd like a good, out of the way place to stay up there.

cheers
Wendy

underfoot
13th March 2007, 02:40 PM
If you are around the nth island mid april, the collaboratioNZ 07 is on near Whangerai. about 40 "odd" artists and craftists from all over the world get together and spend 10 days making stuff,turners furniture makers,carvers ,sculptors ,blacksmiths etc etc, serious fun,worth checking out.
cheers underfoot

John Saxton
16th March 2007, 10:14 PM
Thanks to all you good folk for your input and some interesting replies.

oldbob13 John
What are your interests and which island? or both
BobT
Interests of course WW & Turning,fishing,photography,hiking.like to get off the beaten track sometimes and away from the usual tourist places.

rufflyrustic The Southward Car Museum - there's a river-side park further down this road that's a great place for a picnic too.
The Coremandel Coast area - pm me if you'd like a good, out of the way place to stay up there.

cheers
Wendy
13th Mar 2007 09:30 AM
Thanks Wendy will PM you.

floobyduster If you're north of Auckland and you want to drool over some REAL timber don't miss the Kauri Museum.

Check it out at http://www.kauri-museum.com/
13th Mar 2007 07:37 AM
That is also helpful thanks for that.

Gumby If you are in the South Island, head up to Picton.

Then across to Nelson, and make sure you spend a night here...
http://wheelhouse.nelson.co.nz/wheelhouse.html

From there, the Able Tasman National Park is worth a look.

If you haven't done the train trip from Greymouth to Christchurch, then that's a beauty as well.

We also spent a few days at Akoroa. Very relaxing.

Thanks also Gumby for the heads up on around the S.I.

fred.n Waiouru military museum is also worth a look, it's just down from lake Taupo
I reckon this might also be interesting.

underfoot If you are around the nth island mid april, the collaboratioNZ 07 is on near Whangerai. about 40 "odd" artists and craftists from all over the world get together and spend 10 days making stuff,turners furniture makers,carvers ,sculptors ,blacksmiths etc etc, serious fun,worth checking out.
cheers underfoot

Hopefully we'll get time to check this out also providing it can be managed in the time frame.

Cheers:)

Ianab
16th March 2007, 10:59 PM
If you land in Auckland head up North then. Lots of nice scenic stuff, and make sure you accidently end up at the Ancient Kauri shop. And accidently have a few $$ in your pocket to buy some 40,000 year old turning blanks :U

The Kauri museum is on your way there, just take a bib to control your drooling there :;

Lots of beaches, forests, fishing and photo spots on the way north too.

Of course there is the other 90% of NZ to see, but there is allways next time

Cheers

Ian