PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a Bandsaw

jacko
2nd July 2003, 09:15 PM
There has been numerous posting on this subject, but there seems to be very little choice at the top end of saws. If you (any one of you) had a budget of up to $4,500 for a saw that
* was primarily to be used for resawing ( 300 mm throat),
* required good extension tables to support fitches up to 3.5 m long,
* hopefully not too tall as although 1.83 m tall I find exerting any feed pressure on a large peice of wood difficult when the table is so much highr than a good workbench height,
*need a good fence with an adjustable offset,
* should be able to cut veneers of uniform thickness in hard woods like jarrah, never smoke or stall,

What would you buy and from whom???

journeyman Mick
2nd July 2003, 10:24 PM
Hitachi make a bandsaw specifically for resawing that probably meets most of your criteria, it is lower than most bandsaws and equipped with stellite tipped blades. I know that Carba tec sell it but I'm sure others do as well.

Mick

kenmil
2nd July 2003, 10:31 PM
Go to the Carbatec site and search for "CB75F". Catalogue lists it @ $4,899. 2HP motor, 3Phase 415Volts.

jacko
4th July 2003, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the comments guys . I have looked at the Hitachi, but this is really a dedicated resaw machine. I was looking for the perfect amalgam of resaw performance and other bandsaw tasks. The hitachi only has a wide blade. It's table is not big (long) and there are no extensions available for it. Height is good if you build a support table for it. Can't remember about the fence (can it be offset?) but maybe it doesn't need it.
Jacko

journeyman Mick
4th July 2003, 11:01 PM
Don't know if any of the bandsaws have extension tables, but it wouldn't be too hard to whip up an infeed and ann outfeed table. I would suggest looking at a saw that has a seperate base/legs as you would need to lower the machine if you were doing a lot of ripping. I'd think about making a new base that's lower - the right height for ripping and then maybe setting up a block and tackle above the saw so you can lift it and slip another frame under the shortened legs for non-ripping use. Other than that look for the sturdiest guide roller assemblies, dust port, and plenty of HP.

Mick

DavidG
5th July 2003, 09:45 PM
Have a look at the Carba-tec SBW-5300CE
2 Hp 300mm depth of cut, good fence.
Takes up to a 1.25" blade.

Build in and out tables to suit,
add a box (raised deck) to stand on.

I have the smaller model (4300) and am quite happy.

journeyman Mick
5th July 2003, 10:09 PM
I tried working on a raised platform when ripping on my bandsaw but found that you cover a suprising amount of ground when your'e working. I had a few sheets of structafloor sitting on besser blocks but I found I was walking off the edge. If you don't fancy building (and storing) a couple of large decks complete with handrails then a dual height saw base might be more convenient. A block and tackle isn't strictly speaking neccesary but might make life easier. At my old place (dirt floor shed) I ended up digging a hole for the bandsaw to sit in. I think I will end up making a dual height base for my bandsaw as the new workshop has a concrete floor.

Mick

Wayne Davy
5th July 2003, 11:10 PM
Jacko,

I was in Carbatec Brisbane today (I know - a long way away) but I noticed they had a special on the big Delta 20" Bandsaw - $1000 OFF! Normal price is $3995 - on sale for $2995. Don't know if it is what you are after but thought I'd mention it.

Details here but still has the normal price.
http://svc010.bne011i.server-web.com/catalogue/carbatec2/cache/header-703public__0-0.html?cache=no

jacko
6th July 2003, 05:51 PM
Re Delta 20" Thanks for the tip I'll see if C'tek Sydney is offering the same deal. As to raised floor, see the problem, don't yet see a good solution. Perhaps i could wear stilts!
Jacko