PDA

View Full Version : Buggar Daylight Savings Time

Honorary Bloke
14th March 2007, 08:24 AM
For reasons known only to the founts of wisdom in Washington, we have gone on DST already. :~ I hate it. They say it saves electric but I don't see it. What lights I don't turn on at night I burn in the morning. :? Always leaving for work in the dark. Buggar it! :rantoff:

When does OZ go on DST and is it unversally popular?

Gra
14th March 2007, 08:30 AM
that extra hour of sunlight also fades the curtains, and confuses the cows, they dont know when to get milked...:D:D:D

Honorary Bloke
14th March 2007, 08:35 AM
that extra hour of sunlight also fades the curtains, and confuses the cows, they dont know when to get milked...:D:D:D

Well, mate, it also throws the chooks into a spin, don't it? :rolleyes: :D

echnidna
14th March 2007, 08:35 AM
Its popular in the south but up north they don't like it. :)

Amongst reasons the Queenslander anti DST gives is that it fades their curtains. :o :o

Tex B
14th March 2007, 09:10 AM
This year the 25th of March is my favorite day of the year - the 25 hour day.

Bliss. I wish every day was a 25 hour day.

Tex

MurrayD99
14th March 2007, 09:12 AM
Hi Bob - I think NZ changes to DST this coming Sunday - but they are talking of extending it by a few weeks - and/or shifting the clocks one hour permanently. It doesn't worry me what they do - but life would be a whole lot simpler if we all made the change the same weekend. Trying to explain "sometimes we are 19 hours ahead, then for a couple of weeks it is 20, then it goes to 21....." is too hard.

RufflyRustic
14th March 2007, 09:15 AM
I actually like the other Oz states being on DST, but only because my cable tv - Austar - also goes onto DST and I can watch a lot more programs that I'd normally miss, and if I miss the early ABC or SBS program, just wait an hour and I can get it on my normal TV channel, or watch it twice even if I'm so inclined :D

silentC
14th March 2007, 09:25 AM
Bob, this is one of those polarising debates that we have been having since I can remember.

Personally, I like it. It makes sense to me. You get that extra hour of daylight after work and you don't have the sun streaming in the bedroom window at 5:00 in the morning.

Yes, you could start work an hour early and knock off an hour early to the same affect, but for some reason, if you start an hour early, it never seems to pan out that you knock off an hour early. I used to start at 7:30 so I could knock off at 4:00. I always seemed to get a phone call or something right on 4:00 and I'd have to do something before I went. All I was doing was working an extra half an hour every day. So now I start at 8.

Mattsplatt
14th March 2007, 09:27 AM
Hi Bob,

I love it! Down here (Melbourne) - the DST means more daylight hours after my paying job to do things that I like to do (in daylight!).

I can fit in nine holes of golf after work, go to the beach, ride a bike, take photos etc that I would normally not get to do.

So for me - it's all thumbs up!

It's not still light at midnight like some places I have been to, but just a 'civilized' hour for sunset and a quiet ale or 4.:beer:

I would, however, feel sorry for the Queenslanders if they had daylight savings, the cost for replacing curtains every few years form that extra light woould be horrific :wink:

Honorary Bloke
14th March 2007, 09:48 AM
Many interesting replies to this thread. Different perspectives. I know this is an old topic, but . . . :D

On the other hand, if one more person says that it fades the bluddy curtains . . . :yuk: Well, what can you expect from Qlanders? :rolleyes:

echnidna
14th March 2007, 09:52 AM
Ya reckin they'd have made non fade curtains by now :D :D :D :D

Howdya do that
14th March 2007, 09:59 AM
Daylight saving's is a PITA for anyone working in the country. My family has to rise at 6am to get everyone showered, fed and to work or school on time and my wife walks the dog at this time because its cool, all in the bloody dark.
Add to that most of my clients work till dark and the mobile phone coverage is shyte house so they are ringing me between 8:30 and 10pm.
Makes it a bloody long day:(( .

Mattsplatt
14th March 2007, 10:20 AM
Many interesting replies to this thread. Different perspectives. I know this is an old topic, but . . . :D

On the other hand, if one more person says that it fades the bluddy curtains . . . :yuk: Well, what can you expect from Qlanders? :rolleyes:

Sorry Bob! We Mexicans take every opportunity to hang it on them there Northern Folk!

Often without reason, but who needs one?
Like who needs a reason for opening another beer or a good bottle of red?:)

Gra
14th March 2007, 10:29 AM
just remember HB, you have the deep south, we have the far north.... same mental state..;-)

silentC
14th March 2007, 10:39 AM
Something to do with proximity to the Tropics....

Bob38S
14th March 2007, 10:53 AM
Sorry Bob! We Mexicans take every opportunity to hang it on them there Northern Folk!

Often without reason, but who needs one?
Like who needs a reason for opening another beer or a good bottle of red?:)

Just watch it :no:

You know that you would only have gun barrel straight bananas if we didn't bend 'em for ya:;:;

Hon Bloke - its a North South thing.

BTW, when you had your N v's S thing - which side won :;

Bob

PS - I'm one of the few who likes it :U - but I enjoy hearing the others go off about it :U

silentC
14th March 2007, 10:59 AM
when you had your N v's S thing - which side won
The North did of course, but the situation is reversed here 'down under'. Like I said, it's something to do with proximity to the Tropics - Tropic of Cancer in their part of the world and Tropic of Capricorn down here. :wink:

Honorary Bloke
14th March 2007, 11:11 AM
I love all your replies, keep 'em comin'. But, as we're on DST, I have to go to bed. :(( :D :D :rolleyes:

Mattsplatt
14th March 2007, 12:18 PM
The North did of course, but the situation is reversed here 'down under'. Like I said, it's something to do with proximity to the Tropics - Tropic of Cancer in their part of the world and Tropic of Capricorn down here. :wink:

Good one SilentC!:D

David L
14th March 2007, 03:09 PM
In Queensland out of respect for the elderly we are waiting for all the old people to die off before we introduce it.

Clinton1
14th March 2007, 03:44 PM
I actually enjoy Southerners bringing up the 'fades the curtains' comment as it highlights their ignorance about the reasons that country Qld doesn't want DST.

Never met a southerner that could work out why that lady from the CWA made the comment re curtain fading..... and I'm not going to give it away! :D

silentC
14th March 2007, 03:55 PM
Ahh, so it's meant to be a brain teaser is it?

Not one of those Joh-isms, is it? Like feeding the chooks or getting your feet stuck on the fly paper?

Clinton1
14th March 2007, 04:15 PM
no, not a Joh-ism....gawd bless his cotton hats

silentC
14th March 2007, 04:25 PM
It must be a closely guarded secret because the only reference I can find to it is in jest (as in "daylight savings? yeah, it's bad because it fades the curtains, didn't you know!!"). Even got a mention in a parliamentary discussion when they were looking to start it early because of the Commonwealth Games.

Gumby
14th March 2007, 04:39 PM
Bliss. I wish every day was a 25 hour day.

Tex

Me too. I could get an extra hour of work from my employees. :D

Landseka
14th March 2007, 05:36 PM
Queensland's original reason for not going to DST was that Joh thought the sun shone out of his bum & he wasn't getting up an hour earlier for anyone! :cool:

Not sure what the current reason is, maybe not wanting to use up all the sun leaving none for the kids. :D

Iain
14th March 2007, 07:24 PM
Queensland's original reason for not going to DST was that Joh thought the sun shone out of his bum & he wasn't getting up an hour earlier for anyone! :cool:

Not sure what the current reason is, maybe not wanting to use up all the sun leaving none for the kids. :D

I thought it was because you can't reset a sundial:rolleyes:

joe greiner
14th March 2007, 10:55 PM
It's all a self-imposed fraud anyway. When I become dictator-for-life, the whole world will be on GMT, and we can forget about time conversions and all that. We'll still have local "noon" but it won't be at 12:00 except at zero longitude.

I guess Oz sundials have to run anti-clockwise. Or you could get one of these:
http://www.sciplus.com/singleItem.cfm?terms=12618&cartLogFrom=Search

Sorry, they don't export. Something to do with certificates of origin, or something like that. It's a surplus outfit.

Joe

MurrayD99
15th March 2007, 07:48 AM
It's all a self-imposed fraud anyway. When I become dictator-for-life, the whole world will be on GMT, and we can forget about time conversions and all that. We'll still have local "noon" but it won't be at 12:00 except at zero longitude.

I guess Oz sundials have to run anti-clockwise. Or you could get one of these:
http://www.sciplus.com/singleItem.cfm?terms=12618&cartLogFrom=Search

Sorry, they don't export. Something to do with certificates of origin, or something like that. It's a surplus outfit.

Joe

Funny thing is, yesterday I was about to start a thread here with the words 'When I seize power..." but thought better of it. OK - you can be Lord of the Flies... Will you be looking for a Chief of Police? Are you planning to move the Meridian (nah, its a hotel, too big, forget it). :D

rrich
20th March 2007, 10:22 AM
OK, we went to Las Vegas to see the NASCAR race. The time change on Saturday night was not a big deal because we always get up early to go to the track. Monday morning was not a big deal, just get up when you get up, check out and go home.

Monday afternoon when we got home, I dumped the litter bag in the truck into the shop trash can. Gee, the shop trash is full I guess that it needs to go out. Humm... Might as well as empty the trash from the house and put that out too. LOML pitches in and gets the trash from the shredder and other cans in the house. Off to set the clocks.

True to our digital world, not one of the digital clocks in the house display the same time.

I hate this DST. Doesn't the extra hour of daylight fade the house paint quicker?

Tuesday, the dog, who can't read a clock, lets us sleep in an hour later. LOML had to really rush to get to the bowling alley on time. I spent the day in the shop. The sun is telling me that it's time to quit for the day. Oh, it's an hour later. I have to rush now or I'll be late.

Hummmmm, it is late afternoon and the trash hasn't been picked up yet.

Over dinner, LOML is saying she hates eating so late. I'm thinking that it's Tuesday and NOVA should be on tonight. Then the skys open up, a bright light shines down and a voice says, "Rich, you dummy, today is TUESDAY." I look at LOML and say, "Today is Tuesday, right?" She nods in agreement. Then I ask, "If the garbage is collected on Wednesday, why did we put out the trash on Monday?"

I hate Daylight Stupid Time.

Daddles
20th March 2007, 10:46 AM
You're a pack of old grumps.

Actually, someone with more grant money than useful objectives did a study on the 'fades the curtains' argument ... and found that daylight saving DOES fade the curtains more quickly. The reasonning was that with daylight saving, many houses (probably those with kids) were closing the curtains earlier in the day, thus giving the curtains more time in the sun, thus fading them more quickly than in normal time.

Yes, your stunned expression is similar to what mine was :cool:

Richard

silentC
20th March 2007, 10:51 AM
thus giving the curtains more time in the sun
That would depend upon which way your windows face, because if it wasn't for daylight savings, the curtains on the east would get an hour more sun exposure in the morning.

Maybe the answer is to swap the curtains from the east side to the west side, and flip the ones on the north and south?

Or replace them with venetian blinds...

rod1949
21st March 2007, 03:05 PM
Here in West Australia our first trial period comes to an end this weekend... thank goodness!