PDA

View Full Version : ruger gauges?

smidsy
14th March 2007, 10:57 PM
Hei Guys,
I've heard mention of something called a "ruger" gauge which is apparently a plate with different lathe & mill finishes - you can compare your work to the ruger gauge (essentially a sample plate) to determine what quality your work is.

I've tried google in as many variations of spelling I can think of but found nothing, can anyone give me more info.
Cheers
Paul

simso
14th March 2007, 11:50 PM
Nah not ruger, your talking about roughness charts and plates. Ruger may be a brand name but Ive never heard of it. Basically its a plate with a specific roughness. You can get them in all stages of finish as a comparitor unit. Example you can purchase a plate with an n5 surface finish which means it has an average roughness of centreline through the peaks and crevices of 0.40um,
example a file can give a surface finish of between an n5 and n11
lapping something in with fine honing paste gives an n2 to n4 finish
a sand casted item is usually an n11 finish

Schtoo
15th March 2007, 02:40 AM

You obviously have not seen my sand casting... :roll:

Ruger it is not, rugged is prolly the right word. :D

Woodlee
21st March 2007, 08:51 PM
Nah not ruger, your talking about roughness charts and plates. Ruger may be a brand name but Ive never heard of it. Basically its a plate with a specific roughness. You can get them in all stages of finish as a comparitor unit. Example you can purchase a plate with an n5 surface finish which means it has an average roughness of centreline through the peaks and crevices of 0.40um,
example a file can give a surface finish of between an n5 and n11
lapping something in with fine honing paste gives an n2 to n4 finish

They were known as Ruger gauges at the technical college where I did my traininng 32 years ago.
The only place I've ever seen them though.
I'd forgotten they existed until this post.

marker
21st March 2007, 09:15 PM
It not Rubert gauge is it ?

Mark

simso
21st March 2007, 09:52 PM
Actually Im glad someone mentioned that, probably talking about rugotest gauges, which are roughness plates of variuos sizes used as a comparitor, havent heard of that name for a long time. Elcometer are the industry standard for these and have superseeded most of the older style units with there new fan dangled ones. I have some elcometer units here at home but none of them say anything on the plates anymore. There just engraved with a roughness number n1-n11
Steve

scooter
22nd March 2007, 05:44 PM
Ruger are a gun manufacturer.

Stringy
23rd March 2007, 04:09 PM

a picture tells a thousand words!

Dunno where you would buy one though!

Andy Mac
23rd March 2007, 04:28 PM
I didn't know such things existed, but made one up myself recently as a sample thing to show clients!:rolleyes:
I just punched Rugotest into Google and got the following link, looks like they can be bought:
http://www.elcometer.com/international%20index%20pages/international/product%20pages%20-%20English/product%20pages/main%20pages/129.htm

Cheers

Woodlee
26th March 2007, 12:09 AM
Actually Im glad someone mentioned that, probably talking about rugotest gauges, which are roughness plates of variuos sizes used as a comparitor, havent heard of that name for a long time. Elcometer are the industry standard for these and have superseeded most of the older style units with there new fan dangled ones. I have some elcometer units here at home but none of them say anything on the plates anymore. There just engraved with a roughness number n1-n11
Steve

Yeah Rugotest ,thats the one.
Ruger is a gun manufacturer ,have a couple of their pieces.