PDA

View Full Version : Metal workbench

Unit_01
15th March 2007, 02:56 PM
hello all, i want to know how i would postion sliders on my workbench. I will upload file which is google sketchup. Could someone show me where i would mount if i had 2 drawers beneath the bench top.
cheers

martrix
15th March 2007, 03:00 PM
hello all, i want to know how i would postion sliders on my workbench. I will upload file which is google sketchup. Could someone show me where i would mount if i had 2 drawers beneath the bench top.
cheers

Gday Unit, do you mean 2 drawers side by side, or one on top of the other? And when you say sliders, do you mean like metal drawer tracks?

Unit_01
15th March 2007, 03:40 PM
yes mate, exactly what u said. 2 drawers side by side with metal drawer tracks. SOmethin like this:

DJ’s Timber
15th March 2007, 04:44 PM
When you make your bench you need to locate some cross rails where the drawers are and weld some tags on the edge of the rail which you can drill and tap for the slders to fix to.

I have added some tags on one end of your sketch to give you a idea.

If you need more info or a picture I can take a picture of my bench to show you.

martrix
15th March 2007, 04:49 PM
yep, DJ beat me to it. Add some tags like he has or also some rails like I have. You might find it easier to add some 16mm MDF panels as the internal boxes to screw the drawer runners on. Just makes it easier. You need to work out how big you want your drawers, and what you're going to make them from.

There is a million ways to do it.

Unit_01
15th March 2007, 06:31 PM
When you make your bench you need to locate some cross rails where the drawers are and weld some tags on the edge of the rail which you can drill and tap for the slders to fix to.

I have added some tags on one end of your sketch to give you a idea.

If you need more info or a picture I can take a picture of my bench to show you.

mate that'll be awesome if u could take some pics of your bench and show me if ya dont mind. Yeah that'll be great, itll give me a better view of what u mean. Cheers:2tsup:

Unit_01
15th March 2007, 06:33 PM
yep, DJ beat me to it. Add some tags like he has or also some rails like I have. You might find it easier to add some 16mm MDF panels as the internal boxes to screw the drawer runners on. Just makes it easier. You need to work out how big you want your drawers, and what you're going to make them from.

There is a million ways to do it.

Thanks for reply mate, the drawers are goin to be made out of steel sheetin about 5mm thick, which will make em heavy duty and then i will need heavy duty tracks for em. So itll basically be a box that slides in and out of the bench. Thanks for your help guys.
Cheers,

DJ’s Timber
15th March 2007, 06:49 PM
Will take some pics in the morning for you.

5mm thick is way oversize for drawers, do you really need them this thick?

Mine are 2.5mm and they are even too heavy. 1.6mm or 2mm should be the thickest you need to go.

Unit_01
15th March 2007, 07:05 PM
Will take some pics in the morning for you.

5mm thick is way oversize for drawers, do you really need them this thick?

Mine are 2.5mm and they are even too heavy. 1.6mm or 2mm should be the thickest you need to go.

nah mate, i dont really need em that thick at all. ill prob get 2.5mm then. and thanks for gettin pics mate, much appreciated

Unit_01
15th March 2007, 07:24 PM
And how would u guys go about welding this thing up. WHat would u weld first? Would u weld up 2 rectangular frames, and then weld legs on (back legs are full length 1.8m and front are 1m) and then weld on the braces plus the tracks. i not too sure where to begin guys, could u point me in the right direction please.
cheers

ozwinner
15th March 2007, 07:29 PM
Tack, tack, tack...

Tack weld everything first, then you have to make sure everything is straight and square before you start to weld things up.

Work in a sequence so the welds dont pull and distort the work piece.

Do a search on google for the information.

Al :2tsup:

Unit_01
15th March 2007, 07:51 PM
any other ideas guys?

DJ’s Timber
15th March 2007, 07:52 PM
You want to make up a front and a back frame and then join the 2 together.

So basically you have 1 frame @1.8mx length of bench
another@ 1mx length of bench
and then join the 2 together with rails the width of bench minus whatever the thickness of front and back frames.

And what Al says

BobL
16th March 2007, 12:51 AM
Find a flat level surface to work on.
Check the flatness and levelness of the surface across its diaginals with a long straight edge to make sure that your not going to weld up twisted frames.
Use clamps and magnetic right-angle brackets to form as much of the frame as you can.
Check for squareness, and as the other say tack on one side only of each join.
Check for squareness and then tack the other sides.
Check for squareness and only then start the longer runs.
If you have time, work across the piece - do a long run here the do one on the diagonally opposite side of the frame.
This will minimize distortion of the frame.

BTW for the drawer I would use galv 1.6 mm thick with a light frame. 2.5mm will weigh a ton.

Cheers

Unit_01
16th March 2007, 09:19 AM
thanks for your help guys, yeah i guess 2.5mm is way too heavy, ill probably use 1.6mm. and by frame, do u want me to build a frame for it or can i just weld the plates together and make a box? Yeah, DJ. ill do wat u said to do, it seems the easiest. So when i finsh do up those 2 frames, and put side rails on, after that i put weld the tracks on.
cheers

BobL
16th March 2007, 09:33 AM
thanks for your help guys, yeah i guess 2.5mm is way too heavy, ill probably use 1.6mm. and by frame, do u want me to build a frame for it or can i just weld the plates together and make a box? Yeah, DJ. ill do wat u said to do, it seems the easiest. So when i finsh do up those 2 frames, and put side rails on, after that i put weld the tracks on.
cheers

Welding 1.6 mm for the drawer is going to be very tricky and also means you will have to paint it even if you use galv steel. If you have access to a bending machine I would bend up each drawer out of 1.6 mm and just pop-rivet it together at the sides. If you allow for a 12 mm wide fold at the top this provides a safety edge and extra strength. I would then check if this if strong enough for what you need. If not, weld up a 12.5 x 2.5 mm angle iron frame for the drawers to sit in/on and either bolt or pop-rivet the box into the frame.

Small tip: make the drawer deep enough to line the bottom of with a bit of old carpet. That way tools don't sit on bare metal and get beat up.

Unit_01
16th March 2007, 04:56 PM
k mate ill give that a go, thanks for ya help

DJ’s Timber
21st March 2007, 08:58 AM
Here you go buddy.

1. shows drawer in closed position taken from side
2. is drawer half open taken from front & side on
3. shows unbrako cup head drilled and tapped in side of drawer
4 & 5. taken from back & side on showing mounting points with one drawer open & one shut

any ? just fire away

Unit_01
21st March 2007, 05:39 PM
neat man, was learnin to weld usin mig at school today pretty sweet ???? man, yeah i get some ideas off ur drawer. cheers