PDA

View Full Version : Powered Dust Mask

Wayne Davy
3rd July 2003, 11:49 PM
I just noticed Carbatec have a cheap(ish) powered dust mask for $149. This uses standard AA batteries and you could use rechargables to lower running costs. The details are in their monthly PDF at http://www.carbatec.com.au/images/PDFs/AWJulyAugust2003.pdf

I know everyone has been waiting for the Triton Mask to be released and this would not be a patch on it but it might be helpful for someone a budget.

GeoffS
4th July 2003, 09:25 AM
Looks a bit simplistic. Doubt that the fan could beat your air demand when you breath in so that you would still run the risk of pulling unfiltered air in around the edge. I have a beard which makes any simple mask useless.
Still - its cheap and probably better than nothing which is what too many use.

I did promise to describe my home made one some time ago - must do so, it would cost about the same.

Simple
17th July 2003, 09:51 AM
Is there anyone who has purchased this product and are able to give it a review/rating?

I am thinking about purchasing it myself as I like the price.

Simon M.

Phil Mazey
5th October 2003, 11:00 PM
can't compare this to other powered masks - have no experience of them. However, this works a lot better than the el cheapo white masks that cost abot $5 for 5 at Bunnings. And should, given the price difference. Gives the feeling of light fresh draught around your mouth/nose. Also the power pack is nothing to carry and is unobtrusive. On the basis of what I've experienced with it so far, it's OK.

Phil

Sprog
5th October 2003, 11:44 PM
If you want a cheap dust mask check out
Cheap Dust Mask (http://www.gekkotimbers.com.au/free_downloads_woodworking_patterns/free_downloads.htm#cheap_homemade_dust_mask)

Phil Mazey
6th October 2003, 04:24 PM
inventive approach. Looks effective. Id like to have a go at something along those lines when the little battery powered one I'm using folds. Can't abide the thought of $400 plus for one.

Phil

Sprog
6th October 2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Phil Mazey
Can't abide the thought of $400 plus for one.

Phil

I bought the Triton powered respirator for $235, works well and does the job.

Phil Mazey
6th October 2003, 06:56 PM
Sprog

Oh, ta. Would have expected more, but would still settle for less, if it's effective.

Phil

gatiep
6th October 2003, 09:17 PM
<b> Another way is similar to the 'fixed system' mentioned in the article but use an extractor fan instead of a hair dryer.

Mount the extractor fan in the open end of a 20 l plastic container so that it blows into the container. Cut a hole in the bottom of the container, large enough to take a 3"or 4" storm water pvc pipe glued into the bottom. Mount the bucket outside your shed , in a protected free from dust area. The 3" or 4" pvc pipe runs to above your work place, where you take a 1" pond water hose, very light plastic from Bunnies, to your face shield ala the article. You can have a few face shieds mounted at strategic places or use one to plug into the pond piping suspended from the pvc pipe. Plug the outlets not used. If you use 4" pvc pipe as the main feed, you can have a real long feed and the intake will be far away from the dust source. You don't need to bother with filters then as they surely make the system less efficient in the airsupply volume. Also don't need a very fancy cloth shroud, just a simple shroud is sufficient. The pond pump to outlet pvc pipe is about $2 per meter and either a hose through a hole in the shield or an oversize conduit to wall box fitting makes for a good connection.

For a few bucks you have fresh air blowing into your face shield, no noisy hairdrier. It works and the price is right!

Have fun..........keep turnin <b>

soundman
28th October 2003, 10:56 PM
saw a wild article a few years ago where a bloke drilled a hole in the top of a full face motor bike helmet I hooked it up to the blow side of a hoover hed hung in the rafters above his lathe.

?????

GeoffS
29th October 2003, 08:32 AM
I built my version of the Australian Woodworker one a few years ago. It worked OK. If you had to buy all the bits it wouldn't cost much less than the Triton one - I mainly used items I had in the junk box - except for the filter.
I would probably buy a Triton now.
Cheers