PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Help finishing camphor bowl-Canberra

Bloss
16th March 2007, 07:29 PM
My son has an unfinished camphor laurel bowl he started in high school woodwork long ago and ran out of time to finish.

He is hoping to find a helpful person in the Canberra region that has a lathe and experience that would be willing to complete the bowl to a better standard. Here are some photos of the current state:

Thank you
:2tsup:

Twinnie
16th March 2007, 08:19 PM
there will be some one out there, a few of the guild members are on here and they posess some mighty skills.

Matt

DavidG
16th March 2007, 09:02 PM
The ACT Woodcraft Guild (http://www.woodcraftguild.org.au/)has many members who will help.
Your son and your self would be most welcome to come and join the guild and we have a shed full of gear for you to use.
There are regular sessions with people there to help.

Please contact the guild for more info.

Dave..
Guild member.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th March 2007, 10:16 PM
Too far for me, alas, but I hope whoever takes it on leaves the rim as wide as it is now.

Undercut the rim both inside and out to profile/thin the walls and create more "internal space," sure... but that's some lovely grain in the top view, got some visual impact, and I reckon it'd be a crying shame to turn most of it away...

Twinnie
17th March 2007, 08:33 AM
Too far for me, alas, but I hope whoever takes it on leaves the rim as wide as it is now.

Undercut the rim both inside and out to profile/thin the walls and create more "internal space," sure... but that's some lovely grain in the top view, got some visual impact, and I reckon it'd be a crying shame to turn most of it away...

thats exactly what i was thinking when i saw it

Matt

Tornatus
17th March 2007, 05:11 PM
As a turner member of the ACT Woodcraft Guild, I join with Dave & Matt in inviting you and your son to pay us a visit - bring your bowl, no obligation to join, just check us out and I'm confident we can help you.

Our next turning session is on Saturday 24 March, from 1330 to 1630, at "The Shed", which is on the Lions Youth Haven farm on Kambah Pool Road - the entrance is on the right just past the entrance to the Gleneagles golf course. Our Shed is around the back of the Youth Haven complex - just bear left on the farm track and follow it around until you see a green shed with piles of wood outside.

Look forward to seeing you! :let:

Bloss
17th March 2007, 06:09 PM
Thanks all, especially the guild members.

Not sure if we are able to take up the offer to come to the next meeting, but it is just over the hill from us.

We greatly appreciate the offer and will take it up as soon as we can. And happy to join so such a friendly group gets supported.

And will take on board the suggestions for finishing too.

Bloss

DavidG
17th March 2007, 07:48 PM
Bloss
We are always here.
Call in when you are ready.
All the times and date are on the web site and I am down south in Conder.
Dave..