PDA

View Full Version : So it's official now then????

Cliff Rogers
16th March 2007, 07:40 PM
Fridays have been cancelled as a waste of time & space. :cool:

Never mind.... there are plenty of other days & threads to drivel on/in. :D

Christopha
16th March 2007, 07:48 PM
Where the hell did THAT thread go?? Bloody hell!! I come back for 24 hours and even a day of the week has been banned..... this is getting toooo silly!

Wood Butcher
16th March 2007, 07:53 PM
The Friday threads haven't been banned at all. There are some people that thought that it was a waste of space to keep them after they have been finished with.

Christopha
16th March 2007, 08:34 PM
What waste of space made that decision??? Strewth it's still Friday for some of us even if it is 1953.....

SPIRIT
16th March 2007, 09:58 PM
now why would anybody wont to read it that is just sad yep flick it off just leave the the bargirl of the day thanks :D

Cliff Rogers
17th March 2007, 12:13 AM
As I said.... there are plenty of other days & threads to drivel on/in. :2tsup: :p

masoth
17th March 2007, 09:05 AM
Question for Cliff - how can it be "now then" at the same time? Hmmm, that sounds like a Friday thought.

soth:cool:

bennylaird
17th March 2007, 09:35 AM
Bugr, I finally got a bit of time to read what the Friday drivel was and it's gone? At least if it's available for the day it does provide a great way to have some mindlessfun which is sorely needed these days. Can I request that it at least stays till the end of Friday so I can read it when I finish with work? No problems deleting it but at least let those who would like to have a read do so within a reasonable time.

No time for me to join in as my day is fully booked from 6.30 am till 6.30 pm until I get all my stuff sorted. I have so much gear to sort out and lessons and practical work to organise my siliva gland has stopped producing drivel. 2 weeks to holidays? Guess who will be at work sorting etc during the hols.

Those who would like to be a teacher for the holidays and short days are drivelling on more than the friday thread ever could.

Cliff Rogers
17th March 2007, 11:31 AM
Question for Cliff - how can it be "now then" at the same time? Hmmm, that sounds like a Friday thought.

soth:cool:

Figure of speech... there are some silly ones & you hear them all the time.

'Now then.'
Usually means 'now' we will address something that has happened 'then'

'Yes no.'
Usually means reserved agreement or yes & no.
'Yeah no' is another form but that is a new term for umm & err.

'Believe you me.'
Really means I want 'you' to 'believe' 'me'.

Now then, where were we? :D

SPIRIT
17th March 2007, 01:29 PM
As I said.... there are plenty of other days & threads to drivel on/in. :2tsup: :pare you just proving your point by driveling on cliff:D

Wongo
17th March 2007, 11:24 PM
Great, I can celebrate my 4000th post again.

:fireworks:

RETIRED
18th March 2007, 07:58 AM
The Friday thread will stay open until Saturday morning to allow the other half of Australia and the rest of the world to post. It will be closed then.

It will remain on the board and deleted when the next one starts.

BUT any other posts containing mindless drivel will be deleted by the moderators. No discussion will be entered into.

Gumby
18th March 2007, 09:20 AM
I think it should be closed a day earlier :D

outback
18th March 2007, 11:33 AM
Looks like I won't be saying much from now on then.

Poor old Brendan won't even keep the dust off his keyboard. :q

Cliff Rogers
18th March 2007, 11:50 AM
...any other posts containing mindless drivel will be deleted by the moderators.

But but but..... sometimes I have to think really really hard to come up with the drivel so it isn't really mindless. :D

Lignum
18th March 2007, 11:53 AM
So are we to have out very own Drivel Moderator who can decide the fine line between trivia and drivel:rolleyes: And i bet the SCM Mods would be chuffed to see the Downunder Forum is now copying their way of running a nice clean PC forum :)

[Edit.... so i get an infraction for this post:( ... say no more]

Groggy
18th March 2007, 02:18 PM
Drivel and political correctness are unrelated, is talking about drivel only, that being meaningless, off-topic banter that adds nothing of real value to the Woodwork Forums other than a bit of lighthearted chat. Neil has provided Open Slather and also allowed the Friday thread to cater specifically for this but it is spilling into the main forums.

When moderators have attempted to clean it up a little they have been challenged and asked to justify why the drivel has been removed as it is "not offensive". While this is true, the drivel is also off topic and detracts from the information in the threads. To argue to have the drivel remain really begs the question of "why should it?". If at best it adds nothing to the thread (usually started by someone else) and at worse hijacks it, then what is the argument for it to remain? Note that hijacking a thread is a reason for deletion by itself.

As for comparing these forums to SCM or any other woodworking forum, each adds something of value to the woodworking communities. Woodworking Australia's Woodwork Forums do not compare themselves with any other forums and run pretty much to the wishes of their owner and administrator. If anyone thinks the mods and admins decide the tone and level of conversation on the forums, think again. We get some very firm direction from the owner and at times feel his boot.

I suggest any comparisons you wish to draw you take up with him, as we can only continue to try to do as he wishes.

outback
18th March 2007, 03:22 PM
Drivel and political correctness are unrelated, ........snip.....

We may have to agree to disagree on that.

A couple of resurected threads of late have highlighted how the fora have changed, or evolved over the last year or so. One thread in particular showed how a couple of members came as close to physical blows as can be managed over the internet. Verbal threats, abuse, and name calling were rife. Eventually the thread was closed. Nowadays the thread wouldn't see the light of day, all parties would receive an infraction, and most of us wouldn't have received the laugh we did.

I'm not convinced the change is for the better. Certainly the fora has grown exponentially, so Neil has a big job just keeping up with what the median sees as the best format to take. I guess I'm a dinosaur, but I like light hearted rivel, as well as a fair dinkum stoush between blokes, these days a wholly respectable, but vigorous difference of opinions comes in for wrist smacking.

DavidG
18th March 2007, 03:50 PM
All we need now is someone to put up the time and money required to support a drivel site.

How much are you prepared to pay to be allowed to drivel.

Any takers ??????? :roll:

HappyHammer
18th March 2007, 03:51 PM
Drivels free here why pay for it somewhere else...

HH.

HappyHammer
18th March 2007, 03:53 PM
..snip..... these days a wholly respectable, but vigorous difference of opinions comes in for wrist smacking.

Smack me:o ...Am I drivelling.....no it's just the normal dribble I'll have to mop that up later..:U

HH.

Groggy
18th March 2007, 04:02 PM
We may have to agree to disagree on that...

Outback, what you are bringing into the discussion is not what is being discussed here. is talking about drivel, Friday thread type drivel, not debate or PC discussion.

If you insist on connecting them, that infers that mindless drivel AND non-PC discussion AND argumentative/antagonistic debate will be deleted. That is clearly NOT what said, this is about drivel, and only drivel.

HappyHammer
18th March 2007, 04:06 PM
If I dribble or indeed drivel in this thread will it get deleted?:;

HH.

HappyHammer
18th March 2007, 04:09 PM
BUT any other posts containing mindless drivel will be deleted by the moderators. No discussion will be entered into.

...oopss just saw this bring down the axe sorry everyone but your deep and heartfelt thoughts and discussion on drivel may be lost as a result of my drivelling....:B :U

HH.

HappyHammer
18th March 2007, 04:11 PM
Wow I did a search and found 101 threads that contain "drivel" Robbos gonna need to sharpen his blade....:o :U

HH.

HappyHammer
18th March 2007, 04:17 PM
Re-did search for "mindless drivel and only two showed up, your blade is safe for a while :;

HH.

RETIRED
18th March 2007, 04:27 PM
Don't know what you've been smoking or drinking HH:oo: but that is the sort of stuff we are talking about. It is being left here as an example.

HappyHammer
18th March 2007, 04:31 PM
:B Thanks I like to lead by example....:U

HH.

Lignum
18th March 2007, 04:58 PM
I now see the point about the drivel, and thinking long and hard about it i now agree and will come into line and stop posting such rubbish:) But easly the biggest lot of mindless drivel on this forum is the "Not a joke. Just a bit of fun MK.V thread" That is 100% mindless drivel and maybe its original creator should just delete the lot to set a good example for the rest of us.

RETIRED
18th March 2007, 05:08 PM
We may have to agree to disagree on that.

A couple of resurected threads of late have highlighted how the fora have changed, or evolved over the last year or so. One thread in particular showed how a couple of members came as close to physical blows as can be managed over the internet. Verbal threats, abuse, and name calling were rife. Eventually the thread was closed. Nowadays the thread wouldn't see the light of day, all parties would receive an infraction, and most of us wouldn't have received the laugh we did.

I'm not convinced the change is for the better. Certainly the fora has grown exponentially, so Neil has a big job just keeping up with what the median sees as the best format to take. I guess I'm a dinosaur, but I like light hearted rivel, as well as a fair dinkum stoush between blokes, these days a wholly respectable, but vigorous difference of opinions comes in for wrist smacking.Outback. Yes the forums have changed a little for a number of reasons:

1; We have more moderators now with differing perspectives on things. When there were only 3-4 Mods Neil and I were spending up to (a combined total) 11-16 hours a day keeping the board running. It was easier to keep a level style of moderating because I was the one doing most of the deletions and corrections. Some of you didn't agree with my style but you are still here and some are still whinging.:D

2; The forums have grown at an amazing rate and there are far more overseas posters. This has to be taken into account as you or any of the mods do not know who we are dealing with. Something non offensive here could be taken as insult elsewhere.

3; Regular posters are meeting face to face more via get togethers and meeting at shows etc thereby can gauge what they can say to each other. This is good but it does lead to other problems. Changing someones message in a quote and in jokes amongst themselves can and often is taken the wrong way.

4; Some regular posters also treat the board as their own and are becoming too blase about their conduct here. They sometimes by their conduct frighten off newcomers, e.g. A newcomer asks a question and the poor person suddenly has "do a search" rammed down his throat. A lot of our patrons here are computer illiterate and don't know the ins and outs of the board or the way it operates. Far better to explain to them how to do a search.

As far as personal attacks go, they have never been allowed. Attack the idea, not the man or woman.

ozwinner
18th March 2007, 05:24 PM
I now see the point about the drivel, and thinking long and hard about it i now agree and will come into line and stop posting such rubbish:) But easly the biggest lot of mindless drivel on this forum is the "Not a joke. Just a bit of fun MK.V thread" That is 100% mindless drivel and maybe its original creator should just delete the lot to set a good example for the rest of us.

Let it go Lignum.
Those people who cant let it go usually get banned for life.

The choice is yours, and you have 24 hours to think about it.

ozwinner - Administrator
Woodworking Australia's
WOODWORK FORUMS

cub3
18th March 2007, 05:43 PM
The Friday thread will stay open until Saturday morning to allow the other half of Australia and the rest of the world to post. It will be closed then.

It will remain on the board and deleted when the next one starts.

Can we call this a ssssshhhhnnneck in time:D

Den.

outback
18th March 2007, 06:35 PM
In answer to , ( check his post)

1. I agree entirely
2. Probably follows on from above, maybe the overseas posters come here because of our relaxed ways, not in spite of them. I certainly get that feeling from the regular ones here now.
3. Dunno, I can get to the meet and greet things, they are always too far away :no: , but I see your point.
4. I see your point, but wonder if that coin doesn't have two sides. i.e. The friendly banter and wandering off topic makes this board more like a real conversation, and not a clinical, clean cut question and answer session.

In answer to Groggy, it is my own personal opinion that the thing you refer to as drivel and I call realistic conversation is frowned upon because it is seen as the right thing to do by a moderator. That's what I call PC, my opinion mate, ya can't say I'm wrong.

Remember mate, there's some cranky old pharts out there, they whinge to the moderators via email and Pm, I do it out in the open and accept all criticism of my views.

P.S. I ain't goin' quietly. :q

ernknot
18th March 2007, 09:02 PM
Can we start the Friday drivel on Thursday so we don't have overwork that lone brain cell? Geeez, Big Brother is becoming reality.

ozwinner
18th March 2007, 09:11 PM
Can we start the Friday drivel on Thursday so we don't have overwork that lone brain cell? Geeez, Big Brother is becoming reality.

You can start whenever you want, there will be one thread, and one only per week, with total mind numbing drivel, it will be active for 1 day, then locked.

Then deleted after 1 week.........Wmhahahahahaha:U

Al :2tsup:

Groggy
18th March 2007, 09:33 PM
In answer to Groggy, it is my own personal opinion that the thing you refer to as drivel and I call realistic conversation is frowned upon because it is seen as the right thing to do by a moderator. That's what I call PC, my opinion mate, ya can't say I'm wrong.Well, I can only say that what I am (personally) referring to as drivel would not normally be called conversation. The Friday threads contain a lot of it and it is creeping into a lot of other threads as well. If it is realistic (read meaningful) conversation, then that is not what is referred to here. I still think we are not talking about the same stuff. Maybe a wait and see is required.

Remember mate, there's some cranky old pharts out there, they whinge to the moderators via email and Pm, I do it out in the open and accept all criticism of my views.It's not just old pharts, and there is nothing "wrong" with raising issues with the moderators, that is what the rules require and usually there are good reasons for the posts being brought to our attention. If they are just whinges we usually ignore them or tell the member we think it is not valid.

P.S. I ain't goin' quietly. :qNot sure what that is about? No-one asked you to leave, quietly or otherwise.

Cliff Rogers
18th March 2007, 11:32 PM
Geeze this week is dragging. :rolleyes: :p

Howdya do that
19th March 2007, 09:08 AM
I honestly cannot see the problem.
A bunch of guys with similar interests met on an internet forum site and every Friday they indulge in a bit of banter. I personally find it stress relieving and have met some damn nice people that I would love to meet in person. The facts are:-

Neil provides a "nothing to do with woodwork" section and we dont discuss woodwork.
As far as I am aware posts in the Friday thread do not reduce the number posts that can be made else where.
There are two other threads that remain constantly open that are no less frivilous than the friday Thread.
The only that people that have a justifiable grievance are the moderators because they have to moderate it. We dont pay them so we have no right to make demands.
If you dont like it YOU DONT HAVE TO READ ITI have no idea how much it costs to run a website like this but the knowledge and enjoyment I have gained from it are invaluable and I would be quite happy to allocate a portion of the money I spend on tools to ensure it remains viable.

And , PM me your address and I'll have a carton delivered, then Felder will next month, Waldo the next month, Terry, Benny, Cliff, Happy Hammer, Spirit. etc, etc.

Life is to short, people! If it's not harming you GET OVER IT!

Wongo
19th March 2007, 09:25 AM
Wait a minute. Shouldn’t we vote first before make such an important decision? I didn't have my say.:(( OR we should at least get an explanation from the owner of the forums.:D :D :D

Don’t chop it please. Friday drivel is fun. , have you tried? Oz have you? In fact we should do it everyday.:2tsup:

Waste of bandwidth. What bandwidth? 15 pages a week is a drop in the ocean if you ask me.:cool:

Where is my 4000th post? :fireworks:

MurrayD99
19th March 2007, 10:38 AM
Mmmmmm.... I try and catch up on the Friday thread Monday morning to see if anything dramatic occurred after about 2.00 AET when I disappear from the scene.

OK re the locking and OK re the deleting after a week but did I miss something - seems to have gone gone...

Just for the record, I look forward to the to & fro... funny & bitter... virtual beers...

RETIRED
19th March 2007, 10:45 AM
I honestly cannot see the problem.
A bunch of guys with similar interests met on an internet forum site and every Friday they indulge in a bit of banter. The drivel is spilling over into other forums I personally find it stress relieving and have met some damn nice people that I would love to meet in person. So have I The facts are:-

Neil provides a "nothing to do with woodwork" section and we dont discuss woodwork.
As far as I am aware posts in the Friday thread do not reduce the number posts that can be made else where. No they don' but generally the number of posts is a guide to how much that person has contributed to the forum.
There are two other threads that remain constantly open that are no less frivilous than the friday Thread. You are right, that is why we are telling you to leave the rest of the forum alone.
The only that people that have a justifiable grievance are the moderators because they have to moderate it. We dont pay them so we have no right to make demands. Right on!!!
If you dont like it YOU DONT HAVE TO READ IT We have to read it because it oversteps the mark at times. I have no idea how much it costs to run a website like this but the knowledge and enjoyment I have gained from it are invaluable and I would be quite happy to allocate a portion of the money I spend on tools to ensure it remains viable.

And , PM me your address and I'll have a carton delivered, then Felder will next month, Waldo the next month, Terry, Benny, Cliff, Happy Hammer, Spirit. etc, etc.

Life is to short, people! If it's not harming you GET OVER ITThat is what we are trying to do to make it easier for those who come here to seek information and not wade through reems of twaddle.!

Wait a minute. Shouldn’t we vote first before make such an important decision? I didn't have my say.:(( OR we should at least get an explanation from the owner of the forums.:D :D :D If you don't know the reason: Do a search.

Don’t chop it please. I think being up for a week is long enough. People doing a search get the Friday drivel page up because someone may have mentioned something they are looking for. Would you want to wade through 100+posts to find that it is an obscure reference? Friday drivel is fun. Not for everybody. , have you tried? Oz have you? In fact we should do it everyday.:2tsup: Some of us have to work.

Waste of bandwidth. What bandwidth? 15 pages a week is a drop in the ocean if you ask me.:cool: Nobody said anything about bandwidth.

Where is my 4000th post? In cyberspace.:fireworks:

Wongo
19th March 2007, 10:47 AM
, please delete the entire pen turning forum. Do it for me. :D

Howdya do that
19th March 2007, 11:06 AM
A suggestion, if I may be so bold:rolleyes:

If a moderator opened the Friday thread and made the first post saying something like.......
If you are looking for serious woodworking information and discussion you will not find it here.

Anyone that stumbles across the Friday thread will not need to read anymore than that.:2tsup:

Wongo
19th March 2007, 11:34 AM
Make the whole Friday thread private. It is only available for registered members. To become a member, you must be invited by another drivel member and approved by ME.

If you started the thread, you stay the whole time.

Friday drivel is a privilege not a right.

MurrayD99
19th March 2007, 11:42 AM
Make the whole Friday thread private. It is only available for registered members. To become a member, you must be invited by another drivel member and approved by ME.

Not bad Wongo.... but think of all the unregistered people that are going to miss the foolishness. Wouldn't it eventually die out?

Wongo
19th March 2007, 11:46 AM
What foolishness? And Friday drivel will never die. Trust me.:cool:

Howdya do that
19th March 2007, 12:01 PM
Not bad Wongo.... but think of all the unregistered people that are going to miss the foolishness. Wouldn't it eventually die out?

We should make them submit written applications to join. We could then assess the application as part of the Friday thread and let them in on the following Friday.

It would be interesting to see how many people applied:D

jmk89
19th March 2007, 12:25 PM
Perhaps the search function should be amended so that it defaults to not including the Nothing at all.. forums (but you can change the settings to include them if you want).

journeyman Mick
19th March 2007, 12:57 PM

And the problem with that is.............?:?

Mick:p :p

Stuart
22nd March 2007, 04:40 AM
If you dont like it YOU DONT HAVE TO READ ITWe do :(

It started off pretty interesting - people submitting pics of their workplace etc, but the more recent direction where it is post after post of..... well, it is fascinating stuff. I normally watch and read the forum via iSpy, or at least the "New Posts" button, but recently, I tend to stay away from the whole forum on a Friday simply because of this thread.:no: