PDA

View Full Version : Can't work out intersect

luv_speedin
16th March 2007, 10:10 PM
Hiya, I could do with some help on this one. I want to have arched cutouts for the side panels of this play table. I have tried to intersect an arch and the side panel but cant get it to actually intersect and cut it out. Any clues on how I do this?

Cheers !!!

ivanavitch
16th March 2007, 11:27 PM
Select the "Arrow" tool.
Right click the selected arch.
From the popup menu select "Intersect" . "Intersect with model"

regards

John Scott

luv_speedin
17th March 2007, 08:44 AM
Thanks Ivanavitch, but I have tried this and it hasn't worked. I thnk I am doing sonething wrong from the start.

The panel was created first just a regular rectangular prisim. The I have used the arc tool to draw an arch between the two legs. Then I used the pencil tool to draw aline in as the base of the arch. Then I group eveything and made it a component. The I used the pulling tool to give it some volume so I could intersect it with the panel.

Then I place it on the panel and try as I may, using the Intersect with Model tool, all that happens is that the arch prisim can be deleted and it just leaves an arch line on the panel, but it doesn't actually allow me to cut out the arch section from the rectangular panel.

Any ideas anyone?

ozwinner
17th March 2007, 04:45 PM
Arches are easy.
Draw your rectangle>raise it up with the push/pull tool.
Draw an arch with the arch tool.
Use the push/pull tool to extrude it, you can extrude it out or in, if you take it in you will get "on face" dialogue coming up, when it does, let go of the mouse button and the arch will be formed.

Easy.

Al :2tsup:

Abug
17th March 2007, 04:48 PM
Ok, from what I can see of your model, you have made the arch section a component.

- Select your arrow pointer
- Double click on your rectangle section. ( Not the arch). Everything else should go a lighter colour.
- Now in the rectangle, RIGHT CLICK and select INTERSECT WITH MODEL.
- Click anywhere off the model. Right Click on your arch and ERASE.
- Double click on your rectangle again and select the PUSH/PULL tool.
- Click on the arc section you wish to get rid off and push it to it's offset and click your mouse button.
ALL GONE

Hope thats what you wanted to accomplish.

luv_speedin
17th March 2007, 05:43 PM
:2tsup: :2tsup: :2tsup: Thanks guys, Oz what a piece of cake, I think where I went wrong was that I created my panels by drawing all 12 edges (believe it of not!!!! :doh: yes Ima newbie!!). followed your method and its a piece of cake!!!

Abug from the gong, very clever, it took me a few attempts to get it right but the offset works a treat when you follow your method.

So has anybody tried doing more complex cutouts, free hand designs or similar???

ozwinner
17th March 2007, 05:46 PM
If you think logic, as in, what is the easiest way to do this, this software is soooo easy to use.

Al :U

Sir Stinkalot
17th March 2007, 08:10 PM
Cant Google Sketchup export files in anything except .skp?

luv_speedin
17th March 2007, 08:45 PM
yeah I think it can do bmp, jpeg and tif.

ozwinner
17th March 2007, 09:49 PM
Cant Google Sketchup export files in anything except .skp?

Here is a full list of what is available.

Sketchup pro costs about US$600.

Al :doh: