PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw fence

craigb
4th July 2003, 04:06 PM
G'day,

Does anybody have the bandsaw fence that Carba-tec sell for 14" bandsaws for around 80 bucks? (don't have my catalogue at the moment so can't quote the number).
If so, is it any good? Or will I do just as well with a piece of timber clamped to the table?

Thanks in advance
Craig

derekcohen
4th July 2003, 04:59 PM
Craig

I have it. I think it is the one called "Professional Bandsaw Fence", or something like that.

It is well made and very easy to install. It will adjust to the blade angle (it has offset capability). It has a built-in magnifier and reads in both inches and mm, and it looks nice. This the good news.

It is not as easy to set as I would have liked, but this is because it is different to the fence on my table saw. Probably the closest parallel I can think of is that it is more like a T-based fence (like a Biesemeyer). These attach and lock on the front runner. By comparison, my Carba-tec tablesaw has a fence that locks on both sides at the same time. The basic fence that comes with most bandsaws is like this, only the tablesaw uses one lever to clamp and the basic fence uses two levers. I found the two levers a pain to use, which is why I bought the Professional model. This is much easier to set up, but lacks the solid, rigid feel I am used to with my tablesaw fence. It is not as easy to move it in fractions of an inch (by tapping) as the tablesaw fence. There is a trick to using it, which may be old news to other users. Simply pull the fence back as you move it, since this holds it tightly and squarely against the front rail.

Bottom line - would I buy it again. Yes - because it is still miles better than the basic fence. Is is perfect - No. I'm sure that I will modify it in the future, but I am happy with it for now.

I am also sure that my comments above reflect my inexperience with bandsaw fences (I have had mine several months only). Others here will point to their experience and say that a bandsaw fence is really unnecessary, that a lump of wood would do And they are probably right. Perhaps I will also become that skilled one of these days. But for now I need all the help I can get.

I hope this helps.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Dan
4th July 2003, 09:54 PM
I have the SW-1401 CARBA-TEC bandsaw and I also bought the Professional rip fence a few weeks back and found that it doesn't fit. If you have the latest Carba-tec catalogue look at the table on the SW-1401 (p39). Notice the two fence mounting holes? Ok. Now look at the table on the SBW-3502D1 (p41). Notice there are two extra holes lower down on the table? If you try and mount the Pro fence to the SW-1401 (and possibly some others) the main rail of the fence will be above the table by about 10mm:mad: . I am in the middle of making a plate to adapt my saw (not enough meat in the table to drill/tap two more mounting holes) so the fence can be fitted. The fence itself looks good though and if you have the right saw, will be quite handy straight out of the box.

Dan

Mick4412
5th July 2003, 11:14 AM
I have just gone thro' exactly the same exercise as Dan mentions. Altho' told this would be a simple task, it was a pain in the butt. However,, the end result was worthwhile.
mick

derekcohen
5th July 2003, 12:25 PM
Craig

In the light of Dan and Mick's difficulties in installing this fence I should point out that I have a Carba-tec BS1400 bandsaw. This is a new model (the exact same as the Ridgid BS1400, as it is badged in the USA). The connecting holes lined up perfectly, and installation could not have been simpler.

Regards from Perth

Derek

craigb
7th July 2003, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the feedback.

Well it sounds like it's worthwhile, although I have a Jet bandsaw so maybe I'll have a problem fitting it. I guess I'll have to see what carba-tec says. It appears that Jet don't have a similar fence for their saws :(

Cheers
Craig

Dan
7th July 2003, 10:17 PM
Craig,

I don't think you'll have any worries with a Jet. Just about all the cheaper saws are copies of the Jet/Delta saws, only with the real cheap ones it looks like the manufacturer decided to save a few extra grams of cast iron and make the table a bit thinner (to be expected I guess). Let us know how it goes.

Dan

craigb
14th July 2003, 03:04 PM
well I did the deed and bought the carba-tec fence. No problems in fitting it as the holes lined up o.k. Only thing is that the Jet table must be a little wider than the carba-tec saws as the fence is about 20mm too short to ride on the far rail.
I don't see this being a huge problem though as I can just use the bush on the bottom of the fence without the spacer nut.

The fence then rides a little high on the outfeed side which will only be a problem if sawing thin stock, in which case, I can just remove the bush.

I haven't had much of a play with it yet but I was getting accurate results on the test cuts I made with it and a 1/8" blade.

Cheers
Craig