PDA

View Full Version : Building A Workbench

Sorehorse
17th March 2007, 02:55 PM
Seems like I'm dreaming, as I've just bought and moved into a property that has a very bare and empty 9.0 x 4.5 mtr shed, with power, well away from the house and am keen to get it organised with a work bench and some shelving.

Plan is, to start with a work bench, which I'd like to build myself, but problem is, as I've never really had a usable work bench in a dedicated workshop before, not sure of what type to build, or what the best materials are.

I've had a quick look at some of the old threads in the forums and can't seem to find any that have plans or pictures [other than some US or UK links that show fancy woodworking benches which sell for $2000! So, does anyone know of a site/link which may have an assortment of bench plans or photos.

I don't really need a dedicated bench for woodwork only, just a general purpose bench. It will only house a bench grinder, benchtop drill press and a small vice. Along one side of the workshop there is a window and light in the middle of 2 vertical steel columns and it is here I'd like to put [and secure] the bench. The gap between the 200mm columns is 2950mm, so I figure the bench should take up the total space. There is another space of around 2950mm each side of the bench where I may put my shelving.

My questions are:

- Does anyone have any photos or know of a site that has photos or plans of basic work benches?

- What would be the best frame material, either 100 x 100mm treated pine posts [legs] with perhaps 70 x 35mm beams, or maybe for sturdiness, a welded frame made out of 50 x 50 square steel tube?

- Is there a "recommended" working height for a bench for someone around 190cms? Other than the 2950mm length, I'm thinking of around 80cm for the depth, any thoughts on an ideal depth?

Hope someone might have a few ideas comments.

Thanks

Chris Parks
17th March 2007, 06:08 PM
35x70 or 50x100 RHS is a good frame size, depending if you want to land a helicopter on it or not. The height is calculated at the level of your hand when the palm is parallel to the ground with your arm at your side. It can be a bit higher of lower as required. Don't make it to high as it will be uncomfortable working at the vice. I made my bench a bit higher and put a raised platform in front of it so if I need it higher for some reason I can remove the platform, it also gets me off the concrete floor. There was thread here a while ago showing a steel framed bench which would be good to look at but I can't remember which thread it was in and I have just tried searching and that showed about a thousand threads:oo:

McFly
17th March 2007, 08:30 PM
Hi Sorehorse.

Try this site for downloadable plans. They don't cost too much and have very detailed plans. http://http://www.plansnow.com/shopfurn.html (http://http//www.plansnow.com/shopfurn.html)

With a name like yours perhaps you need some bute:;:D.

(BTW I am a vet so have treated the odd "sore horse":U)

ian
17th March 2007, 10:08 PM
Seems like I'm dreaming, as I've just bought and moved into a property that has a very bare and empty 9.0 x 4.5 mtr shed, with power, well away from the house and am keen to get it organised with a work bench and some shelving.

Plan is, to start with a work bench, which I'd like to build myself, but problem is, as I've never really had a usable work bench in a dedicated workshop before, not sure of what type to build, or what the best materials are.

I've had a quick look at some of the old threads in the forums and can't seem to find any that have plans or pictures [other than some US or UK links that show fancy woodworking benches which sell for $2000! So, does anyone know of a site/link which may have an assortment of bench plans or photos.

I don't really need a dedicated bench for woodwork only, just a general purpose bench. It will only house a bench grinder, benchtop drill press and a small vice. Along one side of the workshop there is a window and light in the middle of 2 vertical steel columns and it is here I'd like to put [and secure] the bench. The gap between the 200mm columns is 2950mm, so I figure the bench should take up the total space. There is another space of around 2950mm each side of the bench where I may put my shelving.

My questions are:

- Does anyone have any photos or know of a site that has photos or plans of basic work benches?

- What would be the best frame material, either 100 x 100mm treated pine posts [legs] with perhaps 70 x 35mm beams, or maybe for sturdiness, a welded frame made out of 50 x 50 square steel tube?

- Is there a "recommended" working height for a bench for someone around 190cms? Other than the 2950mm length, I'm thinking of around 80cm for the depth, any thoughts on an ideal depth?

Hope someone might have a few ideas comments.

Thanksthe easiest way forward is to go into bunnies, Mitre10 or possibly even K-Mart and buy some "hammer lock" shelving
my local bunnies has shelving kits starting at $20

one of the kits can be assembled into a bench with an MDF top 1800 long by 450 deep. This will be plenty big enough, strong enough and stiff enough for the grinder, drill press mitre saw, and general knock about working.
If you find the hammer lock shelving racks too much, stiffen it with a ply/MDF screwed to teh back and ends.

Then you can build your other bench.
Fine woodworking Issue #181 has plans for a plywood and MDF bench — you can get the plans (including the ply cut diagram) as a PDF from Finewoodworking.com
If you get your ply supplier to cut the sheets into the strips you'll need then you just need to be able to cut it to length (mitre saw) and glue & screw it together.

ian

dazzler
17th March 2007, 11:32 PM
Hi Sorehorse

This is the link to mine;

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=22029&highlight=bench

and it contains sizes.

Its not pretty but super sturdy. My view is one day I will make a traditional style bench with dovetails and all but for the time being this is fine for me.

cheers

dazzler

Cliff Rogers
18th March 2007, 12:02 PM
G'day.

I bought the plans to Les Miller's bench that he used at the WW shows.
They are $24 from Skills Publishing.
You'll find an eadvert for them in the Australian Wood Worker.
Simple & easy to build. :2tsup: