PDA

View Full Version : Colour fill on curved edge

Harry72
18th March 2007, 12:51 AM
Be playin around with SU thought I'd design something simple like a spice rack, turned out all right but cant seem to get a solid surface/colour fill on a radial?
Its the front edges of the side pieces.

And when you make a component how do you place it? I made up a row of 8 spice jars I can place them on the 1st level only when I tried for the 2nd and 3rd level on the rack they just wont go?(they end up miles away???)

martrix
18th March 2007, 10:44 AM
Gday Harry, I just used the follow me tool to fill in one edge on your rack. Cant help more right now....off to race day at the F1..

read through this thread (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=46110). Filling a curved surface had us all stumped.

ozwinner
18th March 2007, 07:38 PM
Although the "colour in" feature looks good on screen or paper, I cant see any advantage to the actual plans.

If you are happy with the plans as you have drawn them, then go and make it. :2tsup:

PS Harry, your curves are hollow, so they wont colour anyway.

Al :cool:

ozwinner
18th March 2007, 08:11 PM
Here is an update version.
I had to make the sides solid by extruding them with the "push/pull" tool, you will see that the back of the sides are still hollow, this is due to you deleting some lines along the way that shouldnt have been deleted.

Al :)

Harry72
18th March 2007, 08:28 PM
Just tried using Ivan's method works well.

Still stuck on the component placement tho.

Abug
18th March 2007, 09:00 PM
You could try using the TAPE MEASURE to mark a point on the shelf where you want the edge of the component to start.

When you add the component, use the MOVE/COPY tool to move it closer to the spice rack.

Still with thte component highlighted and using the MOVE tool. Click on the corner or edge of the component and try to line it up with the construction point you made with the TAPE MEASURE.

If all else fails. Post the component and someone will bound to place it into your spice rack.

martrix
18th March 2007, 09:04 PM
Just tried using Ivan's method works well.

Still stuck on the component placement tho.

Do you mean you're still stuck on using and making components in general?
If so, I know what you mean as it took me a while to figure they were and how to you use them.

Think of it like this. Draw everything as if you were making it in real life. Draw up 1 curved panel that is 18mm thick and make it a component. Then you just make a copy from that (ctrl-click-drag). Draw up a length of dowel, make it a component. Draw a panel for the shelf etc, etc. Once you have all the pieces, you can just join them all together, or join them as you go. If you want to go the whole hack, you can also draw the mortice & tenons etc.

Hope that helps a bit.

zenwood
18th March 2007, 09:10 PM
Harry, If you're placement ends up miles away, your probably shifting in the wrong dimension: y instead of z, or some such. Try doing a move, and waving the component around a bit slowly, the move line will highlight to one the main axes. If you hold shift down, it will lock the move in this direction. Then just put the placement point aligned with where you want it and release.

martrix
18th March 2007, 09:16 PM
Harry, have a play with this one. I have made the white curved end panel as a component.
Try detaching. Try re-attaching and try making a copy of it and delete the hollow one and try attaching the new one.

Also, you have managed to draw the spice rack on a 45°..always keep them at 90° to the axes....

ozwinner
18th March 2007, 09:21 PM
Harry, have a play with this one. I have made the white curved end panel as a component.
Try detaching. Try re-attaching and try making a copy of it and delete the hollow one and try attaching the new one.

Theres a problem...

See that diagonal line on the bottom?
It will stop you from doing stuff.
I Have no idea what, but it wont let you do things properly.

Al :(

martrix
18th March 2007, 09:31 PM
Theres a problem...

See that diagonal line on the bottom?
It will stop you from doing stuff.
I Have no idea what, but it wont let you do things properly.

Al :(
You mean on the bottom of the new one I just drew?

yeah I just saw that too.:doh: That bottom line on the rack isn't at 90°:C and that probably happened because it was drawn off-axis and its hard to tell if you drawing square lines.

Abug
18th March 2007, 10:00 PM
If you want to get this drawing back on the an axis, do this.

Even though it is not a component, if you use the arrow and draw a box that goes around the complete drawing (this will highlight it all), you can move it around as it it was a component.

Once highlighted, select the ROTATE tool. Put the protractor on the corner of the drawing. Make sure the protractor colour is blue.
- Click once when on the corner. Move the line so it is parallel to the drawing and click the mouse again. Now you should be able to roatate it around.
- Rotate the object 43 degrees to get it back onto one of the axis's.

martrix
18th March 2007, 10:14 PM
Abug, legend. You just taught me something.:2tsup:

Here it is now back on axis......over to you Haz:wink: :D

Abug
18th March 2007, 10:22 PM
Anytime.

I'm one of those "LURKERS". I read to get tips on all different things but never really post as in forums there is usually someone who likes nitpicking things people say.

But if I can offer help or advice, i'll post.

And yes I Love Sketchup.

Harry72
19th March 2007, 10:31 PM
On axis... so the blue line should always point upwards?

Is this on axis properly?

martrix
19th March 2007, 10:41 PM
On axis... so the blue line should always point upwards?

Is this on axis properly?
Nup, its off axis. You can rotate the whole thing to get it back on axis.

When you start the drawing, make sure your lines turn either blue, red or green before you lay them down. Also when you draw lines off those they should also show the appropriate colour and when you join lines that are square to other lines, a little coloured square should also show up.
Also look for a blue square or line which means the midpoint.

Someone else might be able to explain it better.