nice difficult one

the bottom 3 treads are split lengthwise but are otherwise sound

both ends of the 3 treads are housed into strings

there is no access from below/underside of the stairs

how do i do it?

replacement of the stairs is not an option:U

Chris Parks
18th March 2007, 10:32 AM
If covering with carpet is feasible then the repair only needs to hold it all together eg epoxy. After that it gets hard!

dirtydeeds
18th March 2007, 11:43 AM
its the more difficult end of quite hard :no:

journeyman Mick
18th March 2007, 01:01 PM
dd,
if the treads are split lengthways then it's not too much of a structural problem, more a noise (squeaking) problem and possibly feeling a bit dodgy underfoot as the two pieces may move relative to each other. If you can get at the underside of the stairs I'd just screw some cleats to them to stop any movement. If that's not possible I'd use some dovetail butterflies in the top to tie the two halves together, in conjunction with plenty of epoxy squirted into the cracks (if any) with a syringe.

Mick

markharrison
18th March 2007, 02:08 PM
Another solution would be to drill holes across the grain for some substantial dowels. Say 19mm wide dowels. Make the dowels shorter than the hole depth than the holes you just drilled. Plug the hole with plugs from similar timber to disguise (they wont be completely hidden) the holes.

Sturdee
18th March 2007, 02:19 PM

Whilst replacement of the stairs is not an option you could replace the 3 treads without needing access from below.

Cut out threads, glue and screw blocks to the risers just below the existing treads and replace the threads by resting them on and securing them to these blocks.

Peter.

dirtydeeds
18th March 2007, 09:29 PM
thanks for the ideas guys

ive used cleats before but wasnt so happy because in doing so you tend to break or deliberatly cut the housing joints between tread and riser meaning more work to overcome this problem

ive had some practice drilling long augers in doors recently so thats a good option:U

journeyman, can you give me a link? to the dovetail butterflys, they sound like a wedgelock jointing system patented (i think by Hoffman)

Barry_White
18th March 2007, 09:47 PM
Whilst replacement of the stairs is not an option you could replace the 3 treads without needing access from below.

Cut out threads, glue and screw blocks to the risers just below the existing treads and replace the threads by resting them on and securing them to these blocks.

Peter.

Dirty Deeds

You could use Peters idea but make the treads longer by slightly less than half the depth of the two housings and slide the tread into one side housing all the way then move it back half way into the other side.

If the treads are one above the other you maybe able to repair two of them once you remove all three and then repair the third one with the above method.

journeyman Mick
18th March 2007, 10:49 PM
dd,
I was thinking just hand made ones (or made on a router table) and then cut the keyway in the tread with a chisel.

Mick

les88
19th March 2007, 08:05 AM
nice difficult one

the bottom 3 treads are split lengthwise but are otherwise sound

both ends of the 3 treads are housed into strings

there is no access from below/underside of the stairs

how do i do it?

you don't say if the stairs are internal or external. If internal and the stringers are ok, here is what I would do. Remove the treads see if they are held in place by wedges if they are and you can slip the new treads in from the rear and pull a new wedge in with a clamp. Otherwise extend the tread housing to the front of the stringer and slide the treads in from the front fit a stop in the back of the housing and shape a piece to fill in the front of the housing. If they are external and the stringers are rotted out you may be able to fit a piece of timber to make the bottom of the housing ok and fit the treads, I would use a threaded rod to pull the stringers tight.

dirtydeeds
21st March 2007, 07:41 AM
thanks everybody

hcbph
22nd March 2007, 04:04 AM
If you don't mind filling holes, here's an idea. check out: http://www.rockler.com/search_results.cfm?filter=kreg

Work some epoxy or yellow glue into the splits then use pocket screws to pull it together. You will have to plug the holes, but it is an option

Paul