PDA

View Full Version : kitchen benches revamp

LETS HAVE AGO
5th July 2003, 12:44 AM
As a new member I offer a sincere hello too all members and administrators.----------------------------------------------------------- I am replacing the surrounds of the kitchen sink and 1 side of an existing "U"shaped kitchen bench "t/g JARRAH" >approximately 14 yrs old because of water damage and wear n tear. I dont know what the previous finish was so i am going to fully sand the old back too bare timber too match the new. I am considering refinishing with "Estapol" but with such a huge surface( 4mtrs x .9) and prolonged drying time i am worried about airborne particles and the marks left by overlap. "Polyurathane" is my alternative I suppose. Any tips as too the best option and which GLUE is best suited in wet areas also?----TY for any tips offered.

q9
5th July 2003, 01:08 AM
I am a nut for 7008 for that sort of thing. We refinished our Box t&g kitchen bench last year after 14 years of abuse. Yes, we used Estapol 7008 back then too. A bit of effort, but it will last. If you are worried about dust, then use some strategically placed builders plastic taped against walls etc. Lift back while you work and drape it back down like a hood when you leave it to cure.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, to be honest. Just make sure you use good brushes and keep them clean.

journeyman Mick
5th July 2003, 10:47 PM
While I love working with solid timber (bit of a rarity in kitchens nowadays) I don't recommend it in wet areas. I've replaced quite a few solid timber benchtops due to rot around the sink. Having said that however, I agree with q9 as to wattyl 7008. It's the hardest wearing finish that I know of and has been around for ages (at least 30 years that I know of) so it's tried and proven. Make sure you apply it to the sink cutout as well the back edges that sit against the wall and the underside. Water has a knack of working its way everywhere.

Mick