PDA

View Full Version : Zigzag chair project published by Woodcraft Magazine

Rocker
18th March 2007, 04:57 PM
Woodcraft Magazine in the US will be publishing an article on my zigzag chair (see picture below, and this thread for the WIP: http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=37789&page=2&highlight=zigzag ) in April. The project article, complete with a viewer for a 3D model of the chair, will be able to be downloaded free from the Projects section of the WoodcraftMagazine.com website. Meanwhile, members outside North America who would like a .pdf version of the article can PM me giving their e-mail address to get a copy. There are a few editorial glitches, which I hope will be cleaned up in the published article, but none of these is really significant. The file is large, over 3 Mb, so those on dial-up probably shouldn't bother.

This is a very easy project for owners of a Domino, and the chair could also be quite easily made by non-Domino owners, if they have built the Rocker morticing jig. The actual woodwork, apart from glue-up and finishing can easily be completed in a day. OK; so you need to build the 22.5° mitre jig first, but that is pretty simple.

Rocker

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th March 2007, 05:05 PM
I don't s'pose they'll include any of the destruct testing? :p

Good show! I'm surprised it took 'em so long to pick up on it though... :innocent:

Rocker
18th March 2007, 05:38 PM
I don't s'pose they'll include any of the destruct testing? :p

Actually, they do include the picture of the testing; Tom, Ivan_in_Oz, and Krunchy have their 15 minutes of fame:)

Rocker

RufflyRustic
18th March 2007, 08:34 PM
Congrats Rocker :)

cheers
Wendy

zenwood
18th March 2007, 09:49 PM
Yes congrats, Rocker.

Honorary Bloke
18th March 2007, 10:33 PM
Greenie on the way, of course! Good show. :)

Wongo
19th March 2007, 09:31 AM
:clap: Well done Rocky.

jmk89
19th March 2007, 09:35 AM
Read the article, Rocker. A very good piece which should get the Americans very interested in what can be done with the Domino (altho' those of us on tight budgets will just have to use drills and chisels to make mortises and create loose tenons using a plane or a router, if we ever want to emulate your work!!)

Thanks for allowing us to get advance copies.

Cheers

Jeremy

Rocker
19th March 2007, 10:57 AM
Read the article, Rocker. A very good piece which should get the Americans very interested in what can be done with the Domino (altho' those of us on tight budgets will just have to use drills and chisels to make mortises and create loose tenons using a plane or a router, if we ever want to emulate your work!!)

Cheers

Jeremy

Jeremy,

I would not recommend anyone to attempt to build this chair by using a chisel, or even a drill, to cut the mortices. There are 40 mortices to be cut, and they need to be done accurately if the chair is to withstand the stresses that its structure imposes. If you don't own a Domino, you can rout accurate mortices with a suitable jig.

Rocker

ciscokid
19th March 2007, 09:25 PM
Very nice chair, Rocker. I am a subscriber to that periodical so I will be reading that article with particular interest. I've looked at those Domino setups, but can't bring myself to justify the cost. Seems pretty high for what it is. Or am I missing something?

Rocker
19th March 2007, 10:52 PM
Cisco,

I have to admit that the Domino is a bit of a luxury, if you are just a hobbyist, and if you only make the occasional piece of furniture. With a good morticing jig, you can rout mortices pretty accurately, so a Domino is by no means essential. But it does enable you to get the job done very quickly and efficiently; so, if you want to undertake ambitious projects, and you want to maximize your output, you may well be able to justify it. If you are a professional furniture maker, it is a no-brainer - you must buy a Domino.

Rocker

Rocker
20th March 2007, 09:35 PM
I should have pointed out that, unless you subscribe to Woodcraft magazine, the only way that you can download one of their projects is to login with a code number that is printed in the current issue of the magazine. Thus members without access to the magazine will have to contact someone who does have access before they can download a project. I will ask Ciscokid, who is a subscriber, to post the access number for the issue in which my article appears.

Rocker

ciscokid
27th March 2007, 09:29 PM
No problems, Rocker. I will keep my eyes skinned for the next issue and post the appropriate number when it arrives.

The least I can do for everything I've learned from this forum.

Rocker
29th May 2007, 01:42 PM
My Woodcraft Magazine article on the Domino version of my zigzag chair is now online on the Festool-USA website: http://www.festoolusa.com/Web_files/Domino_WCM_zigzag.pdf . An article on the bridle-joint version of the chair, which can be made without a Festool Domino, is downloadable from my blog. See below.

Rocker

Cliff Rogers
29th May 2007, 02:15 PM
:2tsup:

Harry72
29th May 2007, 09:19 PM
Well done Rockster, its a credit too your skills.

zenwood
30th May 2007, 10:19 AM
Very impressive article: well written, and clearly and beautifully presented.

Who are the three dudes doing the stress test on the last page? I don't recognize them from the Queensland test...

Rocker
30th May 2007, 11:37 AM
Zenwood,

It is the same photo that was taken at the testing done at the GTG at my place last November. The three blokes are Tom, Ivan-in-Oz, and Krunchy.

Rocker

zenwood
30th May 2007, 04:30 PM
Ah yes. I was thinking of the single bridle joint joint test. That wouldn't do for the Festool website I suppose.;)

Krunchy
30th May 2007, 09:34 PM
Yikes, me mug is everywhere :B Not everyday you can say that there is a photo of you on the Festool site! :roll:

Belated congrats on getting the article published Rocker - I picked up a copy of the mag at Borders the other day.

Cheers,
Krunchy.