PDA

View Full Version : Stubby1000 or Vicmarc VL300

Caveman
18th March 2007, 05:07 PM
G'day all,
Query for ya - what would you go for if you could?
Stubby S1000 (or S750 for that matter) or the shortbed Vicmarc VL300 for turning bowls and platters of all sizes (obviously mostly big stuff).

I know each lathe would have it's pluses and minuses but overall what would you lean towards (and maybe why if you don't mind)?

Also are there any other lathes out there in the same range? (Wivamac DB6000? - probably not in the same class and not really known in Oz).

TIA for any feedback.

Tony Morton
18th March 2007, 08:22 PM
Hi Andy

My vote is for the stubby Ive got a 750 its a rolls royce of lathes the newer 1000s are much better you will have it for life .

Cheers Tony

Toolin Around
18th March 2007, 08:49 PM
I don't think too many would disagree. The vicmarc is a good lathe but the stubby takes is a whole lot further when it comes to premium lathes

Caveman
19th March 2007, 04:28 PM
I don't think too many would disagree. The vicmarc is a good lathe but the stubby takes is a whole lot further when it comes to premium lathes

Hi Andy
My vote is for the stubby Ive got a 750 its a rolls royce of lathes the newer 1000s are much better you will have it for life .
Cheers Tony

Thanks Guy's.:2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
19th March 2007, 04:40 PM
I have the VL300 Shortbed with an extension bed attached and am very happy with it.

Would love a Stubby S1000 but at the time money dictated what I could afford and in some cases I reckon that the VL300 would be a better choice for some of the stuff that I do

rsser
19th March 2007, 05:34 PM
Caveman, do a search of the forum on both. You'll find a good deal of discussion.

Only diff between the S1000 and 750 AFAIK is the swing.

I have a 1000 but will need a hoist over it to use the 1 metre diam that can be turned. And the rafters won't take the weight anyway.

I'd say the critical diff between the Stubby and the Vicmarc is the former's capacity to allow you to work on both sides of a bowl by means of the aux bed.

Caveman
19th March 2007, 05:44 PM
Thanks DJ and Ern.

Have done an extensive search on all forums I could find - including the Stubby Users group.

Pretty much know what I would like to go for, but just wondered if any one else out there could add any thoughts on comparison etc.

Once again, thanks for the comments.

rsser
19th March 2007, 05:55 PM
Goodo.

Not sure if the S1000 still comes with two banjos but that's a plus if it does. And if you're rarely going to do spindle turning it's worth mounting the lathe higher than standard esp. if you're tall or if you've got a dodgy back. Bending down for deep hollowing is a PITA.

If the back's a problem also consider the Vicmarc 175. (Ain't age wonderful; I'm still waiting for the wisdom bit to kick in ;-} )

Caveman
19th March 2007, 06:14 PM
Thanks for that Ern - apparantly it does still come with 2 banjo's.

What do you reckon would be the best material to increase the lathe height with?

rsser
19th March 2007, 06:23 PM
Well the 1000 sits on a flat plate. Some guys reckon you don't need to bolt it down but I did with mine since the floor wasn't level - using rubber waffle mat for the adjustment.

Prob any hardwood would cope with the compressive forces. I'd be inclined to start with 2" thick and take it from there. What's your floor made of?

Caveman
19th March 2007, 07:39 PM
Concrete floor - also not level - has a very slight slope (+-1%).

rsser
19th March 2007, 08:40 PM
Then ideally you'd want masonery anchors long enough to go through plate, packing and concrete.

Toolin Around
19th March 2007, 08:43 PM
Goodo.
if you're tall or if you've got a dodgy back. Bending down for deep hollowing is a PITA.

Literally :D :D :D

rona
19th March 2007, 09:30 PM
Hi Andy,
I purchased the Vicmarc VL300EVCM-long bed, approx four - five months ago from Carba-tec, an excellent lathe, would not swap for another brand. I cannot comment about the stubby, as I have notused one, only seen them in operation at the Woodwork shows, but they look to be excellent also.
I got an excellent deal,as usual, from Carba-tec, going by the price in the new Carba-tec catalogue that came out last week, they knocked off just on $2,000.
All the best,
Cheers, Ron.

Caveman
20th March 2007, 05:53 PM
Thanks all for the comments / input - much appreciated.

rsser
20th March 2007, 06:47 PM
Re shipping Andy you might want to PM Mikko who investigated getting a lathe to Scandinavia.

Caveman
20th March 2007, 08:42 PM
Thanks Ern - will do.
Have already got details from the same freight company that has shipped numerous lathes from Omega to South Africa.