PDA

View Full Version : Image Resizer

onthebeachalone
19th March 2007, 07:24 PM
I have seen a few posts suggesting that some folks have difficulty re-sizing images to suit this forum. Some time ago there was a post on this forum for the FREE Mihov Image Resizer.

I downloaded it, it works a treat, and saves a lot of the messing about involved in more comprehensive image editing software.

Here's the link http://www.imageresizer.com/

Stringy
19th March 2007, 07:43 PM
I have tried a few programes to reduce the size of images and have just resorted to sendeng them to email, click reduce size of image and then cut and paste back from outlook:) , this has been a bit of stuffing around:C, so will give IR a go, especially since I installed some new programes last week and now I can't send photos to outlook:doh:.

Thanks,

JW

watson
19th March 2007, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the heads up!!
My wife's camera is always set to take a photo that takes hours to scroll across.
Tried to download you're recommended file, but no go.....I run a Mac computer......but I had a giggle and found a similar Mac program.....so thanks.
Regards,
Noel

Wild Dingo
11th April 2007, 01:55 PM
Okay I think J was just a tad short with that :q ... so in the interests of the forum and cause Im bored... I shall explain the process using the program listed above... which Ive been using for about a year or two or three now

To use Mihov Image Resizer

Step 1) First download and install the program

Step 2) Open the program and a box will appear that is separated into several sections with tabs...

2 a) On the left appears two boxes... the top one should say "C:" this shows what drives you have on your computer the one under it should say something like "C:/" and under it "Program files" and under that "Mihov Image Resizer"

2 b) On the right the box contains a row of tabs "jpeg" "gif" "jepg > gif" etc what you will do first is change that tab... the one that shows will be "about Mihov Image resizer" change that to "JPEG" next look down that new page to where the pixel numbers are change those from 660 to 460 dont worry about the level of quality... I have never touched it and all my photos have come out exactly the same as far as quality goes so dont worry about it.

Step 3)Now to the boxes on the left hand side double click C: in the BOTTOM box leave the top box alone... this will open up an extention showing whats in C scroll till you find "documents and settings" double click that another list will appear scroll down till you find "owner" double click that then another list will appear look for "my documents" double click find "My pictures" double click... your picture folders should appear

(Side note) unless your like my mob and stick them in both my pictures and my music some go in one some go in the other :roll:

Step 4) So once you find the folder you want double click it and the list of pictures will appear in name form (if youve named them if not then probably a combo of letters and numbers or just numbers will appear) scroll down to the pic you want and click it

Step 5) A box should pop up with the picture... if its the one you want to resize move your mousey back to the large box where you changed the numbers and click resize there will be a short second and a blue line will zip across the bottom of that box once done the list will do a small jump so run down the list and you will find a new pic listed saying "mini-****.jpg" this is your resized picture which you an happily upload to this forum with a few more clicks of your mouse.

side note) You can do multiples by holding down the "ctrl" button while clicking your mouse over the different pics you want to resize highlighting them in blue just click the resize button and each will be resized

IMPORTANT NOTE!! While you will resize the original picture your ORIGINAL picture remains intact... you will simply have a small copy of the original AS WELL AS the original... so no loss or reduction in your original picture will occur.

Hope that helps? If I knew how to do screen shots Id have done so... its actually a lot easier than it may sound... Ive also tried "easy thumbnails" by www.fookes.com but find Mihovs easier simpler and well does the job very well but others will have other methods of shrinking their pics... this is just the one I use and apparently J uses and its actually to my mind the best

As for apple mac :q

Good luck!!:2tsup:

joe greiner
11th April 2007, 04:44 PM
Screen Shots:

Press "Print Screen" button. This saves the screen image to the clipboard. (This is my workaround because my w2K OS is partially hosed. There may be more direct ways.) Open MSPaint. Under "Edit" menu, select "Paste." It may complain the image is too big; click "Yes" to increase working space. Save the image as a bmp file. This will most likely be huge, too big for WWF 100Kb limit. Then, from Windows Explorer or such, right click the bmp file name, select Open With, and select Imaging. From there, save as a JPG file, which will be much smaller. MSPaint is supposed to be able to save directly as JPG, but mine refuses.

Joe

manoftalent
14th April 2007, 05:37 PM
This is a fairly basic screen capture program, and easy to use...and best of all, its Free ....

http://www.wisdom-soft.com/products/screenhunter_free.htm

K_S
14th April 2007, 06:17 PM
Another good free program is IrfanView

KS

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th April 2007, 06:34 PM
I'll 2nd Irfanview! :2tsup: Small, free, simple to use, free and will display a surprising variety of gfx formats. (Even .PSD's! :oo: ) Oh... and it's free, too.

Resizing's as easy as loading your pic, pressing Ctrl-R (or mousing to 'Image'/'Resize'), selecting 800x600 pixels and ticking maintain aspect ratio. Job's done. Then by using 'Save As,' making sure you're in JPG format, set the compression to 50% and I'll guarantee the pic will only be 20-40Kb(ish) in size and still be more than adequate quality for these forums.

It'll also do batch processing (of several directories) if you want to get that involved, including TWAIN acquisition.

Oh... and did I mention that it's free? :p