PDA

View Full Version : "Normal" tools in Novice Workshop

Ivan in Oz
6th July 2003, 11:43 PM
What are the accepted "normal" tools one would find in
the Workshop of a Novice?

There are a couple of items I'm looking at, but am unsure what would be best value for $.

I've got a couple of ELU Mitre/docking saws [old ones]
235mm hand-saw, 1/2' Router, drills and screw gun
planer and 2x sanders

Plus the regular garage tools, I'm an Electrician by trade and do my own Mechanical [Car and Bike] maintenance.

CounT4

derekcohen
7th July 2003, 04:05 AM
CounT4

The accepted "normal" tools one might find in the workshop of a novice are ... wait for it ... a couple of ELU Mitre/docking saws [old ones], 235mm hand-saw, 1/2' Router, drills and screw gun planer and 2x sanders. Plus the regular garage tools...

Sorry. Couldn't resist that!

Perhaps you should say what items you are looking at. There are a vaste array of tools available. High-end verses low-end, hand tools verses stationary tools, power ("tailed") verses unpowered ("untailed") tools.

Any particular projects you have in mind?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Ivan in Oz
7th July 2003, 07:31 AM
Doorstop, Derek,
Thanks,
I guess I was asking for that, with such an open question.

I've been looking at a 'Pocket Hole Jig'
For the life of me, I could not understand how they worked as I had assumed that they used DOWELS for the fixing.
YES, I now understand that they use screws.

The other item I'd like to get my hands on is a DOVETAIL JIG,
one which is easy to use:)
Methinks a bit better than the sub $100 ones.
Something, like say; at the very bottom end of High end,
for small workshop.

Ivan in Oz

Iain
7th July 2003, 08:58 AM
Don't bag the cheap dovetails, they have their place and are great for half blinds on draws.
Once set up they are fine but do not have the versatility of a Leigh or PC.
Horses for courses, I use my 'cheapy' without complaint, as well as the Gifkin for more ornamental work.
This is not a shot at you but some tools are worthwhile, even if the use is limited (exception, the cheap and nasty Ozito belt sander I bought affter some b#@*%^d pinched my Makita).