PDA

View Full Version : Quick Quizz

oldbob13
19th March 2007, 09:44 PM
Saw a lathe recently with a fold down bed for bowl turning but didn't get the name.
Can anyone offer a suggestion as to what brand it my be.
It also had a built in dust extractor at the rear.
Thanks
BobT

Salty
19th March 2007, 09:53 PM
Saw a lathe recently with a fold down bed for bowl turning but didn't get the name.
Thanks
BobT

Old Bob, could it be one of the early Leady lathes?? I know we have one at our Club which has a fold down bed so you can stand facing the headstock.:U

hughie
20th March 2007, 06:42 PM
[QUOTE]
[Saw a lathe recently with a fold down bed for bowl turning but didn't get the name.
Thanks
[/QUOTE

BobT.

It is most likely an early Leady. Bruce developed one for the use in secondary schools.

oldbob13
20th March 2007, 11:21 PM
Salty and Hughie
Thanks for your replies.
You wouldn't have a picture of one?
The only results I get are for the new ones.
Also what is the general opinion of this lathe?
Thanks again
BobT

Cliff Rogers
21st March 2007, 09:44 AM
Sounds like a Leady, I saw one in a power toll shop in Cairns about 10 years ago.
That shop is now gone. :(

Salty
21st March 2007, 03:58 PM
Old Bob, the one we have at the Club is a very good lathe:2tsup:
I also have one of the recent Leady's and I am very pleased with it, but what I would suggest is that you give Bruce a ring and have a chat to him as he is very obliging and of course knowledgeable on his lathes.
His contact details are all on http://members.ozemail.com.au/~kjeeves/leady/lathe/lathe.html

Cheers
Salty:pirate2:

hughie
21st March 2007, 06:07 PM
You wouldn't have a picture of one?
The only results I get are for the new ones.
Also what is the general opinion of this lathe?

Nah, I only saw it at his workshop. It would be twice the size of his current design and really heavy. Built like brick whatsis name :U Being designed for secondary schools it would be close to bullet proof.
Size: around 1m for bed length and would swing a diameter around 350mm may be more. The bed was folded down for space requirements.