PDA

View Full Version : Have a check-up

Rocker
20th March 2007, 06:40 PM
Other threads have pointed out the dangers of failing to monitor the health of your prostate. I would suggest that it is also important to monitor the state of your colon, since colon cancer is fairly common, and can be lethal if not caught at an early stage, when it can easily be prevented.

My mum had colon cancer, so, soon after her death 8 years ago, I had a colonoscopy. Nothing untoward was found on that occasion. However, as a result of the prostate warnings given in this forum recently, I thought it was time to have another general check-up. My doctor sent me for a range of blood tests, all of which came up with good results; he didn't suggest a colonoscopy, until I mentioned that my mother had had colon cancer. But he then sent me for a colonoscopy which was performed today. I had shown no symptoms, so was expecting to get the all-clear again. But in fact the surgeon found, and removed, four polyps (which are often the precursors to colon cancer).

So, I would suggest that middle-aged members, or those of more advanced years, get a colonoscopy done, even if you have exhibited no symptoms, and especially if a close relative has had colon cancer. If you catch it early, this cancer can be prevented, and you can be saved from a painful and untimely death.

Rocker

silentC
20th March 2007, 08:05 PM
A mate of ours in his late 50's was advised by his doctor to get a colonoscopy after his sister was diagnosed with colon cancer. He had absolutely no reason to believe there was any problem. They found a tumor, which was removed, and apparently his prognosis is very good.

AlexS
20th March 2007, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the update Rocker.
(sorry, couldn't resist a gratuitous pun)

Good advice though.

Gumby
20th March 2007, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the update Rocker.

:D tha's funny.

I've had 2 colonoscopies. It's something I'm told I should do every few years.
No big deal, except the night before isn't the most pleasant experience I've ever had. :rolleyes:

I'll upload the video if you like :oo:
:D

Metal Head
20th March 2007, 09:46 PM
Other threads have pointed out the dangers of failing to monitor the health of your prostate. I would suggest that it is also important to monitor the state of your colon, since colon cancer is fairly common, and can be lethal if not caught at an early stage, when it can easily be prevented.

My mum had colon cancer, so, soon after her death 8 years ago, I had a colonoscopy. Nothing untoward was found on that occasion. However, as a result of the prostate warnings given in this forum recently, I thought it was time to have another general check-up. My doctor sent me for a range of blood tests, all of which came up with good results; he didn't suggest a colonoscopy, until I mentioned that my mother had had colon cancer. But he then sent me for a colonoscopy which was performed today. I had shown no symptoms, so was expecting to get the all-clear again. But in fact the surgeon found, and removed, four polyps (which are often the precursors to colon cancer).

So, I would suggest that middle-aged members, or those of more advanced years, get a colonoscopy done, even if you have exhibited no symptoms, and especially if a close relative has had colon cancer. If you catch it early, this cancer can be prevented, and you can be saved from a painful and untimely death.

Rocker

Excellent suggestion Rocker.

My sister was diagnosed with colon cancer at the age of 28 and died at 29 as it had spread to the liver, leaving her husband with two very young children to bring up. Since then I have had a colonoscopy done every 2 years. As Gumby said the drinking of the "go lightly" fluids the day before the procedure isn't very pleasant but it is a very small price to pay to know your health is OK:wink:. Like with most cancers, if caught in it's early stages it gives you a better chance of recovery and a longer lifespan.

My wife was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in late 2005 and was told that she was classed as a level 3/4 patient - not very good. Within 3 days of having had the surgery to remove the tumour she had caught a "super bug" that could have been deadly had she not responded to the anti-biotics given to her. The odds of still being alive within 12 months of this type of cancer is only 40/50% and survival after 5 years is only 10/15%. Fortunately she was given a clean bill of health last year and we take each day as it comes.

Bob38S
21st March 2007, 10:56 AM
Have had a number of colonoscopies over the last few years.

Some "observations"

1 It is absolutely necessary

2 It doesn't hurt

3 Day surgery only

4 The stuff to cleanse you is called FLEET, and yes, you had better be once it starts to work.

5 Johnny Cash's song "Burning Ring of Fire" Takes on a whole new meaning

6 The peace of mind is a wonderful thing.

7 This procedure should be a must and I suggest it to all,

Talk to you medico and do yourself a favour.

Regards,
Bob

graemet
21st March 2007, 08:56 PM
Have had a number of colonoscopies over the last few years.

Some "observations"

1 It is absolutely necessary

2 It doesn't hurt

3 Day surgery only

4 The stuff to cleanse you is called FLEET, and yes, you had better be once it starts to work.

5 Johnny Cash's song "Burning Ring of Fire" Takes on a whole new meaning

6 The peace of mind is a wonderful thing.

7 This procedure should be a must and I suggest it to all,

Talk to you medico and do yourself a favour.

Regards,
Bob
All OK except #5. I've had several colonoscopies and NEVER had a ring of fire.
Afterwards, it's a good idea to get a few bottles of Yakult or similar to put back the flora in your gut, or you'll spend a few days as not the most popular bloke at work to be next to.
Cheers
Graeme

scooter
22nd March 2007, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the good advice, Rocker, & hope the future is all clear :2tsup:

Cheers.................Sean

coastie
22nd March 2007, 10:16 PM
My daughter in Perth works at Murdoch Uni. with a bunch of proctologists,usual remark when they leave to do their rounds at hospital "I am just going to look up a few old mates" :o

Metal Head
22nd March 2007, 10:18 PM
Afterwards, it's a good idea to get a few bottles of Yakult or similar to put back the flora in your gut, or you'll spend a few days as not the most popular bloke at work to be next to.

Cheers
Graeme

I presume you are referring to the wind aspect:wink:. I usually take advantage of using a couple of sick days up so I can get on with my woodwork projects:wink: :D.

journeyman Mick
22nd March 2007, 11:28 PM
My daughter in Perth works at Murdoch Uni. with a bunch of proctologists,usual remark when they leave to do their rounds at hospital "I am just going to look up a few old mates" :o

I think you'll find that's dates:o

Mick