PDA

View Full Version : rock feature wall ***pics inside***

laynlo
20th March 2007, 06:51 PM
hey all well we done something a little different the last two days.
we have been working at this new born winery down here in south west vic, and we have pieced together a rock chimney out of this flint rock they dug up when digging the mains over to the building. the wall as you can see has sections in it, the architect wanted every 600mm to be level to give that line effect. the rock will continue inside as well, but thats next week when the builders are out of the way. very different building with alot of work gone into it.
that box in the wall is a stainless steel wood box.....

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a351/lowhsv12/100_2013.jpg

ozwinner
20th March 2007, 07:01 PM
The "sections" to me make it look like fake stuck on rock.

Sorry. :-

Al :no:

Shedhand
20th March 2007, 07:07 PM
Sorry Al, gotta disagree with yer mate. I like it. :2tsup: Probably 'cos I'm an old rock hound.:wink: Much better than something artificial anyway.
Cheers

watson
20th March 2007, 07:20 PM
Wonder where the architect got his qualifications???
Ikea??
Regards,
Noel

Spelunx
20th March 2007, 11:19 PM
Jeeze you guys are a bit harsh.

If you don't like it, don't post. :(( :((

I would give my left nut for a natural stone wall at my place, lines or no lines.

Unfortunately, my stone-work skill pretty much goes as far as plonking a bit of granite in the corner, running a hose over it, and calling it a 'water feature'.

I like the wall, BTW.

Cheers

Jayson.

martrix
20th March 2007, 11:51 PM
I'm sure it looks pretty cool in real life. Bet it looks even better when everything is finished and in context. Make sure you post some pics when its finished.

Clinton1
21st March 2007, 12:02 AM
looking good.
I'd like to see a pic of the inside and when the house is completed... if you get the chance.
:2tsup:

laynlo
21st March 2007, 06:19 AM
yeah photo quality isnt the best i did choose the worse one to upload actually..... my bad i guess.
i will post pics of when its finished in the next few weeks if intrest is there...

Honorary Bloke
21st March 2007, 06:34 AM
To me, the sections make it look like it was built elsewhere and taken to the site to erect. I find it a very interesting effect and wonder if you might carry the same effect into the rock work inside. :2tsup:

Particularly the top piece, where it meets the roofline. Looks like a big rock saw just made a taper cut and bingo!

On a side note, seems like OZ will soon have more wineries than dropbears. You can't walk through a store here in the States anymore without tripping over some Aussie wine or other. I assume we're getting all the stuff you lot won't drink. :D

masoth
21st March 2007, 08:48 AM
Observations, or comments are reasons to post work on the BB. They are not aimed at the individual, nor are they personal.
Bob "........ the top piece, where it meets the roofline." I agree with you - actually, how the chimney is cut has the effect of suggesting the chimney does not pass through the eaves. I also agree with the "prefab" thought.

soth

Bleedin Thumb
21st March 2007, 10:09 AM
I can see what the architect is doing. They want to keep the emphasise of the linear nature of the house by the subtle introduction of a horizontal element in the stonework.

If it wasn't done this way the random bond of the stone could have overpowered the lines of the building.:rolleyes:

It may look to some that it now resembles cladding but I'm sure that is the effect from the photo and if you saw it in situ there would be no mistaking it as real stone.

I can appreciate that it would have been a PITA to build - having to "break your bond" every couple of feet.

Nice job regardless of whether the architectural element works or not.:2tsup:

Andy Mac
21st March 2007, 10:45 AM
I like the stone wall, and given the random nature of the rocks those lines help it in fitting with the house. Great job!:2tsup:

Wonder where the architect got his qualifications??? IKEA?

I dunno about that, has a whole lot more style than the average suburban brick venereal with the roller door out front!:rolleyes:

Cheers,

dazzler
21st March 2007, 12:32 PM
I like it :2tsup:

rod1949
21st March 2007, 02:40 PM
Apart from the joint lines its pretty mickey mouse:2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st March 2007, 05:24 PM
I think the joint lines add a flow of continuity, that suits the architectural style well.

Personally, it's not to my taste (and I detest "cornered" windows like that) but I don't see anything "Ikea" about it 'cept for the fact that it's modernistic.

From what I can see, it should finish up looking good!

Barry_White
21st March 2007, 06:24 PM
The "sections" to me make it look like fake stuck on rock.

Sorry. :-

Al :no:

Al

Does a brick wall look like stuck on bricks every 75mm. I think it looks great.

ozwinner
21st March 2007, 06:45 PM
Al

Does a brick wall look like stuck on bricks every 75mm. I think it looks great.

86mm Baz. :roll:

And no it doesnt because it still doesnt have that break in it.

There was a fake brick cladding that did the rounds back in the 80's that had the break at 600mm and it looked, well fake. :doh:

Al :q :U

watson
21st March 2007, 09:53 PM
G'day,
It was probably me...having a bad hair day...that said the dreaded words "Ikea Architect" that upset a few........sorry.
I should have said .....Wonderful use of local resources .IMHO I think your architect has made a "nanna design decision" that is basically a WOFTAM.
Around my area, there are thousands of chimneys from the 1850's that survive after their attached house has rotted/burnt/dissolved.
These chimneys have been made from
Bricks....no cement..just sand and lime mortar
Mud...either cobbed or bricked...joined with mud
Stone.....(local) some drywalled, some jointed with lime and sand.
They all still stand........but not one of them was architect designed, and none of them have those joins.
There lies my practical objection.....couple with my asthetic objection.....didn't like it.
Sorry, but that's my opinion.

There's another point, apart from the poor bloke who paid the architect to use this wonderful local resource in this manner, some other bloke (spelnux) took umbrage at what had been posted and replied........

"Jeeze you guys are a bit harsh.

If you don't like it, don't post. :(( :(( "

Well, sorry mate, have a look up the definition of "FORUM", and I believe it says things like "a place of meeting for public discussion" ..and also "giving opportunity for debate"
The debate is happening........and I will post, even if I "don't like it".

Second "bad hair day".

Regards,
Noel

Spelunx
21st March 2007, 11:38 PM
There's another point, apart from the poor bloke who paid the architect to use this wonderful local resource in this manner, some other bloke (spelnux) took umbrage at what had been posted and replied........

"Jeeze you guys are a bit harsh.

If you don't like it, don't post. :(( :(( "

Well, sorry mate, have a look up the definition of "FORUM", and I believe it says things like "a place of meeting for public discussion" ..and also "giving opportunity for debate"
The debate is happening........and I will post, even if I "don't like it".

Second "bad hair day".

Regards,
Noel

Fair enough....

<O:p
Perhaps saying "don't post" was a bit harsh, but I just felt sorry for the bloke. He is proud enough of his work to go to the effort of posting a picture here, and two out of the three opening comments were pretty disparaging.
<O:p</O:p
<O:p
If you were a little more constructive in your criticism the first time, rather than making a one liner comment about Ikea, I could have understood where you were coming from.
I guess I was just reflecting on my recent experiences here, as I am planning to build a deck. Everyone has been fantastic in offering advice from personal and professional experience. To go part-way to reciprocating their support I am hoping to post a few pictures here of the construction sequence, however I would like to think that after all my blood sweat and tears have gone into building the deck, the people here would have something positive to say, even if it wasn't something they would like to have at their place. I would expect that people with far more experience than I would be able to offer ways of improving the deck, or their advice on better or more efficient ways of doing things, and from my perspective, any input is valuable, but it needs to be constructive criticism.

Anyway, I really didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.

Cheers

Jayson

watson
22nd March 2007, 07:32 AM
Pax Vobiscum

Regards,
Noel

Spelunx
22nd March 2007, 09:54 AM
Pax Vobiscum

Regards,
Noel