PDA

View Full Version : How'd he do this???

Designsync
21st March 2007, 04:23 PM
Any idea how Mr Weissflog carved this?

Rookie
21st March 2007, 04:56 PM
Carefully????

I dunno. I'm still learning what a spindle is. :?

Jim Carroll
21st March 2007, 05:22 PM
He turns it with a lot of off centre turning and jigs to hold in place.

And also carefully.

DJ’s Timber
21st March 2007, 05:41 PM
and with a lot of patience too I would say

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st March 2007, 05:46 PM
Do you know how to make/use jam chucks?

I've tried my hand at similar before... and you don't want to see the results. Trust me. :D

Hambone
21st March 2007, 06:14 PM
Hi,
At a quick guess I think the wood is Cocobollo and the engraving has been done with a Nova Ornamental Turner or similar. Not often I am right so I am probably wrong again.

Ron

Designsync
21st March 2007, 08:04 PM
Ah.....Nova OT and Jam Chuck!!!???? Skew, I've used Jam chuck for finishing bowl bottoms but how would you safely secure a half sphere, or a bowl side, in a jam chuck.

Salty
21st March 2007, 09:37 PM
Should be HANDLED with care to!!:o . We had Mike Lee from Hawaii come and talk to our Club and he very kindly bought along the piece shown below. Disaster struck when a member of the audience (no names - no pack drill ) literally pulled the thing apart:disgust1:
Cost the Club over $4000.00 to reimburse Mike as thay were going to give the proceeds of it's sale to the victims of the New Orleans Hurricane.
As to how they are turned - It's a mystery to me. Especially with this one as it would have been very out of balance with a bug chunk off to the side that Mike later carved and textured. Brilliant piece:specool:

rsser
21st March 2007, 09:41 PM
How'd he do it? Simple ... turned a whole one and cut it in half.

Tony Morton
21st March 2007, 09:58 PM
Hi All

I seen him do a box lid simler patern at turnfest last year for that he turned off centre . I Believe this one is one of two made the same size and held in jam chuck or chuch similat to what David Springott uses for his chinese balls.

Cheers Tony

Cliff Rogers
21st March 2007, 10:37 PM
What Ern says... but, he makes the 2 halves first & then puts it together to turn the ornamental bit & then takes it apart again.

Ken Wraight makes eggs like that that come apart.
I have some photos but they aren't on this computer.

Here is some of his work.
http://www.theaustralianwoodturningexhibition.com/2006/AWTEX_2_files/frame.htm
His eggs aren't in this slide show but click on 5 & 7 for similar stuff.

Here's a pic of him holding his spider.
http://www.theaustralianwoodturningexhibition.com/

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st March 2007, 10:42 PM
Skew, I've used Jam chuck for finishing bowl bottoms but how would you safely secure a half sphere, or a bowl side, in a jam chuck.

You'll notice the outside rings are done off-centre, the inside ones are centred?

Turn a sphere, with stub tenons or whatever for future mounting at both poles. Use an ordinary jam-chuck to turn the rings in the sides of the sphere, you can add loops over the tenons for a bit more holding power. Part or saw in half at the equator, mount each half using polar stubs, hollow and turn inner rings.

Simple. (Until you try it. :D)

My attempts weren't a bowl like that, it was the lid to a bowl. Had to make a jam-chuck to fit the lid that was both angled to the bed (as the lid was domed) and off-centre by about 3" Turn a set of rings, unchuck the lid and rotate it x degrees (a bit like indexing), turn the next set of rings, unchuck... and then finally use another "more normal" jam chuck to hollow & turn the centred rings in the underside. I got half-way through the last step when I went an RCH too deep. :(

Ken Wraight makes eggs like that that come apart.

Eggs? :oo: Now there's a challenge! [shudder]

Toolin Around
21st March 2007, 10:53 PM
Possible method...

Mount in chuck and turning a perfect sphere.

Secured in chuck that has a locking ring to hold it in place, turn chuck stub off.

Turn the outside ring patterns to a precise depth, sanding each pattern to finish grit.

Unlock move to next pattern centre and repeat till desired over all pattern is achieved.

Glue to fitted scraficial block that is then mounted in a chuck or screwed to a face plate.

Remove half the sphere and turn the inside ring pattern to the point that it just breaks through, sand to finish grit.

Remove, secure rim gently to face plate, prefereably with a fitted wood mounting block, with a bit of hot melt glue. Hold in place with tail stock and turn sacraficial block off, sand to finish grit. Or maybe something a bit different.

Gently cut away from mounting plate, tidy up and add the desired finish.

joe greiner
21st March 2007, 11:03 PM
Spielman's "The Art of the Lathe" says he uses a "simple lathe." The example in the book is 2" diameter, nested spheres of African blackwood and boxwood, so nesting the spheres would likely be the first order of business. Aside from that, key to weird stuff like this is as much timing of the separate operations as the turning itself. For example, leaving mounting tenons until the last necessary cut-away.

Everything is easy for the man who doesn't have to do it himself.:D

Joe

Designsync
22nd March 2007, 08:43 AM
Cheers everyone. I'll try the full sphere and jam chuck method, similar to Skews/TA's description.

Might be time to dust off the motorcycle helmet and chest guard.:p

Flaco
23rd March 2007, 12:52 AM
here is a web site of Harvey Fein, american turner , were you can see the jigs he uses to do that kind of work on his turnings

http://www.harveyfein.net/

Guy