PDA

View Full Version : don't know much about boats but ....

fletty
21st March 2007, 09:13 PM
In the mid 1990's I lived in an underdeveloped part of China and was able to do quite a bit of travel in very non-tourist areas. On a nearby huge inland lake called Chao Hu I 'discovered' the village of Zhongmiao and it's protected harbour which, in those days, was full of two masted sailing boats which ventured into the main lake to fish. I also noted some fascinationg little boats which were constructed like the end of barrels.
I returned yesterday from a visit to China and managed to get back to the lake to photograph the boats and harbour one more time. Unfortunately the 2-masters are all derelict, sunk, concrete filled ... or all 3!
However some of the little boats still survived even though I think I photographed the last of the VERY old builders in 1995.
In case anyone is interested I'll attach a few pics.
Fletty

Daddles
21st March 2007, 10:33 PM
What an interesting way to build boats.:2tsup:

Pity they're losing their heritage, but it happens to all of us. You didn't think of having a yarn to one of the old timers about how they were built did you? You do realise we expect you to make one now :D

Thanks for the pics.

Richard

fletty
21st March 2007, 10:45 PM
ooops!
Richard, I have to tell you that you are talking to a man who has to look away when he pulls the plug out of the handbasin or he gets sea sick!
I tried to talk to him a few years ago but my Chinese wasn't good enough and his shyness meant that he didn't want to talk nor work while I photographed.
I fear the art is lost.
Fletty

Daddles
21st March 2007, 10:52 PM
Bugga.

As for the sea sick bit, you do realise that the relationship between building boats and actually using them is purely accidental.

Pity about the knowledge though. You're experience is pretty common, even when you speak the right language. I read a book by a bloke who took up an apprenticeship in Maine one building season - the measuring sticks were literally that, ancient sticks with ancient notches in them and only useful if you knew how to interpret them.

Then there's my Dad. As a lad, he worked in the Packing Shed at Renmark on the Murray. One of his jobs, when he unloaded the train, was to sift through the piles of floorboards looking for boards suitable for the local boat builder. Those boats were built with one temporary frame and donkey's years of experience ... by a bloke who was old in them days.

Richard

onthebeachalone
22nd March 2007, 06:03 AM
Thanks for the pics Fletty. Fascinating.

Just shows how tough life was in the days before plywood and epoxy!

Talk about multi-skilling. Shipwright, Cooper, and possibly Wheelwright all rolled into one.

Daddles
22nd March 2007, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the pics Fletty. Fascinating.

Just shows how tough life was in the days before plywood and epoxy!

Talk about multi-skilling. Shipwright, Cooper, and possibly Wheelwright all rolled into one.

Tough? What a fascinating collection of skills. But yeah, I know what you mean. Popping out tupperware boats doesn't seem as challenging.

Richard

Aberdeen
22nd March 2007, 11:11 PM
Hey Daddles, didn't realise your lot came from up the river!
Or were you unfortunate enough to be born down here?

Talking about tubs, the old style Coracle's were rather unique I reckon and have apparently become the 'in thing' again over in Wales etc.

http://www.coracle-fishing.net/corac-pix4/con-racex.jpg

You could even make out you were a tortoise !
http://www.coracle-fishing.net/corac-pix3/con-sepiax.jpg

Traditionally coracle building was practised by those who used the craft for its intended purpose - fishing and it was not until the 1980's that others with an interest in coracles started to make them for recreational use and were later described as the "new wave" builders.

Seems with the Made in China syndrome they are even getting into the act.........http://www.pref.niigata.jp/sangyorodo/kankoshinko/en/contents/area/sado/leisure/img/0004.jpg

I concur with your thoughts on the relationship between building and using :2tsup:
"As for the sea sick bit, you do realise that the relationship between building boats and actually using them is purely accidental. "

"Then there's my Dad. As a lad, he worked in the Packing Shed at Renmark on the Murray. One of his jobs, when he unloaded the train, was to sift through the piles of floorboards looking for boards suitable for the local boat builder. Those boats were built with one temporary frame and donkey's years of experience ... by a bloke who was old in them days".

Richard[/quote]

STEPHEN MILLER
24th March 2007, 05:10 PM
It is unfortunate that he comes from up the river that is unfortunately how I know him through our parents cant win them all i guess
and this certainly is the right place to go to because there nobody here who knows much about boats either:D

Aberdeen
24th March 2007, 11:06 PM
I really can't say too much.... originally from Alawoona, then Loxton. Uncle from Pyap West and all that stuff...... So have a little riverland blood flowing somewhere deep down in the veins........ Friends originally from Glossop, ex brother in law from Waikerie.... sad isn't it...

It is unfortunate that he comes from up the river that is unfortunately how I know him through our parents cant win them all i guess
and this certainly is the right place to go to because there nobody here who knows much about boats either:D

Daddles
25th March 2007, 11:11 AM
Flamin' heck. Can't escape ya can I? Mum and Dad both come from Renmark where I was born and lived there for a bit. Lived in Berri for a bit - Dad managed the experimental orchards at Berri and Loxton. Then into the Barossa before moving to the big smoke.

Richard

Boatmik
12th April 2007, 09:09 PM
Howdy All,

Not quite the same thing, but sortof the same thing.

Here the traditional bamboo raft building technology updated using industrial age materials.

Took the photos when I was in Taiwan a couple (three) years ago.

An interesting case of how technology and tradition crops up in interesting ways.

http://www.storerboatplans.com/Taiwanboat/Taiwanboat.html

Like the Yamaha "banana boats".

MIK