PDA

View Full Version : Beginner's pride

Frank&Earnest
22nd March 2007, 01:20 AM
Uhmm, I was feeling pretty good with myself for making my first bowls using a "proper" lathe, then I see the works of Messrs. Weissflog and Lee in the last post (bugle sound in the distance to mourn the death of my pride...)
Oh well, just look at the nice figure of the olive timber (only polished with EEE).
The first, 186w 38h 4 thick, comes from the centre of the leftover from slabbing a small log. The external shape is dictated by the curvature of the log.

The second was a problem solving exercise: how to mount and get a pleasant shape out of a minuscule chainsawn sliver: 98w, 20h, 3mm tapering down to 1 at the lip.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd March 2007, 04:13 AM
Uhmm, I was feeling pretty good with myself for making my first bowls using a "proper" lathe, then I see the works of Messrs. Weissflog and Lee in the last post (bugle sound in the distance to mourn the death of my pride...)

Hmmm... pleasant forms, a damned good thickness and no obvious tool marks. Although... are those sanding marks I see in the flash highlight on pic #1? :oo: Or just artifacts in the photo? :wink:

Mate, you have every right to be proud of 'em. I would be and I reckon I've a wee more practice on a "real" lathe than you. :D

Gil Jones
22nd March 2007, 07:41 AM
Yep, you can be proud of these bowls.
If your sandpaper is revolving as the piece rotates in the lathe you may avoid the circular rings caused by the abrasive hand held at one angle. Also, when cropping the pics, try to leave a bit of open space on all sides of the subject.

Cliff Rogers
22nd March 2007, 09:54 AM
Good stuff Frank, you seem to have the hang of that, now go & practice your photography a bit. :p

PS. The foot on the 2nd one needs pruning a bit. :wink:

ciscokid
22nd March 2007, 10:08 AM
I'd say that's damn fine work for a beginner! You've nothing to apologize for here, mate. I wish I could turn like that. Keep it up and you'll be showing these old hands a thing or two in no time. :2tsup:

Frank&Earnest
22nd March 2007, 11:14 AM
Thanks for your advice guys, much appreciated.

I definitely need more practice with photography.

Gil, how do I "revolve" the sandpaper? I tried a circular motion with the hand, but does not seem to make a difference.

With #1 there are indeed two small marks (5mm straight lines in the dark area right of the flash light). I admit that after 1 hour of sanding I was too bored to get them out :- . What look like circular lines in the flash are streaks of poorly buffed EEE. The spigot in the screw chuck broke before I was happy with the finish. Now that it is off the lathe, I was thinking of wiping it with a bit of turps. Will it be ok?

Cliff, how do I "prune" the foot?

Thanks again for your advice.
Cheers
Frank

Cliff Rogers
22nd March 2007, 11:27 AM
... how do I "revolve" the sandpaper?.....
http://www.ubeaut.com.au/rotary1.htm :2tsup:

... Cliff, how do I "prune" the foot?...
Make it a bit smaller/thinner.
Here is a pic (http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37357&d=1167555658)of a similar shape item that I have reversed into a set of large bowl jaws to 'clean up' the foot.

OGYT
22nd March 2007, 11:38 AM
Frank, nice job on your first bowls. I echo what Ceesco says.
For the revolving sandpaper, here's a shot of mine. They're made from RollerBlade Wheels (most of 'em), 1/4" all thread, Flip-flop rubber, Velcro, and 1" dowels, with a bit of epoxy to hold it all together.
Just hold 'em against the spinnin' wood, (and slow it down a bit, so it don't get too hot).
I expect that Gil may come back in with his idea, too.

Frank&Earnest
22nd March 2007, 12:50 PM
Of course, "rotary" sanding... how silly of me!:-
And even the option of building my own tool, cool! (although since i broke my coccix on roller blades 50years ago I haven't been anywhere near them... :C ).

I will try making a cup chuck and holding the small bowl steady with the tailstock to touch up the foot, with a 1mm rim it will be a bit hair raising... it's all experience. If I pull it out, next week, and manage a good pic of it, I'll brag a bit more.

Thanks
Cheers
Frank

joe greiner
22nd March 2007, 01:22 PM
Well done, Frank. (except the photography:rolleyes: )

Absent Cole jaws, Longworth chuck, donut chuck, etc., here's a fairly simple way of finishing the bottom of a bowl: Mount a scrap piece of plywood (round optional) on a faceplate. Turn a groove to mate with the rim of the bowl. Mount the bowl in the groove, with duct tape wrapped around the back of the plywood and/or faceplate. Turn away.

Thanks, OGYT. I've collected heaps of roller blade wheels from garage sales. Now I have another use for them.

Joe

Gil Jones
22nd March 2007, 02:58 PM
Thanks, Al, those inline skate wheel sanders are neat.
Here are a couple pics if inertial sanders. The articulated one is not mine, but I like it. Mine is the dirt simple 3/4" dowel with an angled hole at one end with a bushing in it. Robert Sorby sells a fancier version, and U-Beaut Enterprises (owner of this fine forum) sells a rotary sander too. Check them out...

scooter
22nd March 2007, 05:10 PM
Thanks Al & Gil for the pix of the homemade sanders :)

Cheers...................Sean

DJ’s Timber
22nd March 2007, 06:10 PM
Nicely done :2tsup: Frank or was that Earnest

tashammer
22nd March 2007, 07:46 PM
It doesn't matter how well other folks are doing when looking at your own work; it's more a matter of comparing what you have done with what you are doing now. You can probably tell that from what folks have been saying, that is, what you have done is something to be proud of and you have every right to feel good. he muttered vociferously into his whiskers.

RETIRED
23rd March 2007, 09:18 AM
Oh well, just look at the nice figure of the olive timber (only polished with EEE).
The first, 186w 38h 4 thick, comes from the centre of the leftover from slabbing a small log. The external shape is dictated by the curvature of the log.

The second was a problem solving exercise: how to mount and get a pleasant shape out of a minuscule chainsawn sliver: 98w, 20h, 3mm tapering down to 1 at the lip.Everyone else has covered everything pretty well but EEE is not a finish but an abrasive.

The finish will dull quickly unless you actually apply a finish. Yeah, I know, a bit Irish.:D

Frank&Earnest
23rd March 2007, 03:29 PM
Everyone else has covered everything pretty well but EEE is not a finish but an abrasive.

The finish will dull quickly unless you actually apply a finish. Yeah, I know, a bit Irish.:D

Thanks . Now that it is off the lathe, and a snowball chance in hell to remount it unless i glue on a sacrificial foot to be removed after finishing, would you recommend going through that trouble or would you think that a couples of wipes by hand would be enough? And what finish would you recommend? I have the leaflet for Shellawax but for some totally irrational reason the conservative in me is a bit dubious of the concept of mixing shellac and wax in the same concotion.

By the way, thanks everybody for the compliments :B now I will try to really earn them...

Cheers
Frank

Cliff Rogers
23rd March 2007, 03:53 PM
Rub on by hand & buff off with one of these. :2tsup:
http://www.ubeaut.com.au/sdmops.htm

Frank&Earnest
23rd March 2007, 05:35 PM
Rub on by hand & buff off with one of these. :2tsup:
http://www.ubeaut.com.au/sdmops.htm

SOLD!

Unless I see contrary advice, i plan to buy the 150mm and fit it to the grinder, which would give me a good surface for carvings etc.

While i am at it, any suggestion on how to optimise my grinding facilities? I have 2 standard 150mm units, one with the medium and coarse wheels it came with, the other with a cloth wheel for honing and a medium one that could be replaced by that buffer, plus a finer wheel /larger wet stone machine. Can't see much use for the coarse wheel, is it worth replacing with something else?

Cheers
Frank