PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy nitrocellulose lacquer?

riph
22nd March 2007, 11:08 AM
Forgive this incredibly basic question, but I've recently wanted to start finishing guitars with a sprayed nitrocellulose finish.

I've tried the big hardware stores but none seem to stock any. I live in Brisbane (western suburbs) so if anyone knows where I'm able to source this or the kind of shop that normally does - ideally in aerosol cans initially, but also tins of the stuff - that would be great.

Thanks in advance...

Cliff Rogers
22nd March 2007, 11:14 AM
MajorPanic (http://www.woodworkforums.com/member.php?u=1965)is the bloke you need to contact about that down there.

Major has had a couple of get togethers at his place & he is a wealth of knowledge about spraying. :2tsup:

MajorPanic
22nd March 2007, 10:00 PM
Don't know about aerosol cans but I get my lacquer from here;

Mirotone Pty. Ltd.
679 Progress Rd Wacol QLD 4076
ph: (07) 3271 1466

Ask to talk to a Tech Rep & they will be able to recommend a type of lacquer.

It's about $44 for a 4ℓ tin.

starr
23rd March 2007, 01:58 PM
Wattyl sells a two-part nitrocellulose lacquer called Hicat. My woodturning group buys it in a large drum so I don't know if they sell small amounts.

I find it to work quite well.

riph
23rd March 2007, 10:28 PM
Cheers for all the tips.

$44 for 4L sounds reasonable. I'd probably pay off the spray equipment with the savings on the aerosol cans by the time it's used up so it looks like the way to go.

surfdabbler
24th March 2007, 01:47 PM
I bought mine direct from Wattyl in the past. About $80 for 10 Litres, but they have smaller tins as well. They were in Bowen Hills, I think on Sneyd St from memory. (Or tufton or lenham, which are the next 2 streets up).

I used Wattyl Stylewood, and the local guitar maker, Doug Foster uses the same on his guitars.

surfdabbler
24th March 2007, 02:14 PM
Sorry, Doug Eaton, not Doug Foster. :)