PDA

View Full Version : Weed Vase

Gil Jones
22nd March 2007, 12:46 PM
A simple weed vase turned from a leftover scrap of Spalted Oak.
66.7mm wide x 95.25mm hi (2 1/8" wide x 3 3/4" hi). One coat of Deft lacquer, buffed and waxed.
Bored 3/16" by 3 1/2" deep, not hollowed.
Your comments are always welcome.
========================
Edit: I am familiar with a "smooch", but not a "schmoo"...
This second pic clearly shows the base, which has a wormhole through it. The piece was turned mainly so it would not go to waste.

DJ’s Timber
22nd March 2007, 01:29 PM
Very nice, the spalting can certainly turn an ordinary piece into a spectacular piece

Cliff Rogers
22nd March 2007, 03:07 PM
Nice piece, nice finish. :2tsup:

I have taken the liberty... :rolleyes:

What I have done is black out the spalting so you can see the form.
I also left out the bead.

Can you see why?

I know it is not always easy but if you try to continue the line of the form through the features like beads, you get a better result.

Gil Jones
22nd March 2007, 03:07 PM
Thanks DJ.
Yep, spalting is a beautiful natural gift.

Thank you, Cliff, and I know that you are correct about follow through on the form lines. I got to playing around with the bead until I formed a depression above and below it...oh well, maybe next time.
Take all the liberty you wish, I need all the help I can get :)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd March 2007, 03:09 PM
Love the timber, but I'm not too sure of the form. The change in angle of the side doesn't quite look right to me, even though the bead does go a ways towards breaking it up.

Any particular reason for the choice of form?

Gil Jones
22nd March 2007, 03:31 PM
Nope, no worthy reason at all. Just decided to cut a bead in the neck, and ended up going below the line:C
While it is not beautiful, it is better than becoming firewood.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd March 2007, 03:39 PM
Oh. I thought the black mark in the RH side of the bead might've been a defect, so you decided to leave a bit of meat.

I know it's all too easy to lose the flow, but 'tis a nice piece just the same and they're always a good save from firewood! :D

joe greiner
22nd March 2007, 09:43 PM
Nice rescue from punkiness; just in time it appears. I agree a smoother flow absent the bead would be better. But I'd start the reverse curve a little lower than Cliff - more of a Shmoo shape. (Anybody remember Al Capp's shmoo?) The bead is still a nice added feature.

Joe

tashammer
23rd March 2007, 01:11 AM
yep, i remember the schmoo. That was a while back.

OGYT
23rd March 2007, 12:50 PM
Nice job, Gil. Very Schmoo-like.
Gil's too young to remember the Schmoo.