PDA

View Full Version : GMC Hardcore 235mm CS & wc2000 Setup problem

djfoggin
22nd March 2007, 09:11 PM
Hi Guy's this is getting me seriously stressed!!!

Took back the GMC 235mm saw that i got last week - awful burning smell and however much i tried no cut was right.

Just spent another 2 hours setting replacement saw set up now got it nearly right, ripping 16mm mdf at 150mm strips(thats setup on fence) the cut seems to have a slight bevel on it i.e. one side of cut is 150mm and over is 151mm.

Any suggestions with this saw and yes its the best that i could afford.

If I was a rich man i would savemyself some grief and get the triton.

David,

Ps
Scooter - i know i was going to arrange time for you to offer guidance in setup - forgot my own b'day.

dazzler
22nd March 2007, 09:31 PM
Hi

Is the saw locked down tight?

Is there any movement/flex etc.?

Do you have a stabiliser bracket fitted?

It sounds like saw slump where one side is of the saw is dropping slightly.

If you dont have the stabiliser bracket try removing the saw, setting at full depth and then using wire/zip ties or even bolts lock it down so that the saw no longer has any movement.

Try again.

good luck

toddles
23rd March 2007, 12:51 PM
I found I needed to adjust the blade to square withn the CS hanging upside down (it's final orientation) in the the WorkCentre - this took care of any minor saw slump. I had similar problems until I did this. I took the table top off and used an adjustable square to get the blade right.
You should also:
Check all the fixings on the saw are tight (you need to do this periodically with almost any saw in a WC as it generates a lot of vibration).
Check that the square you're using is truly square.
Always have the square running between two teeth of the blade (the teeth are thicker than the steel disc they are mounted on).
I know these mistakes only because I've made them myself!
Good luck and keep posting - we'll sort it out.:2tsup:

djfoggin
23rd March 2007, 03:38 PM
the stress that this causes is unknown to non triton users, I tried using a square to square the blade against the top but the ridge between the top and the blade throws it out when using a try square, will try my adjustable one to see if that helps.

there should be a triton users anonymouse group

Stuart
23rd March 2007, 04:46 PM
Follow the Triton manual step-by-step - don't skip any, and don't get them out of order.

Saw slump, as pointed out will cause significant problems, and it isn't a constant, so if it is there, no matter how much you compensate for it in the setup, it will muck you up. Either the saw stabilising bracket, or your own version (aka Toddles) will help.

djfoggin
23rd March 2007, 07:38 PM
went out and bought the bracket , will fit it later and let you know all about it.

djfoggin
23rd March 2007, 11:32 PM
spent 3 hours installing brackets as best as i could, saw tight to base, still cutting at slight angle, have released mitre/angle setting on saw and then pushed saw as flat against baseplate as possible, used try square and combination square, went back through instructions step by step and now there is an occasional burning smell from mdf, materfial is no longer binding between fence and blade, any suggestions or ofers of assistance before i go bald?

dazzler
24th March 2007, 08:09 AM
Hi DJ

You are not Robinson Crusoe in having difficulty. Here are some threads re alignment of the triton. You will soon see that there are a number of views on the forum re alignment issues. Some blame the assembler, some blame the unit.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=2278&page=5&highlight=alignment

and

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=44269&highlight=alignment

and

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=36439&highlight=alignment

and

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=36328&page=2&highlight=alignment

My suggestion is to start from scratch again. Pull it all apart and lay all the pieces out on the kitchen table. Go and have a coffee, kick the neighbours cat, whatever relaxes you :D.

Then walk back in and say:"Wow, my new triton has arrived!"

Now, grab someone else and say:"Hey, look at my new toy, pls help me set it up". Females are good because they look at things differently plus they just looooove getting grabbed :D.

Then set up your new, never before assembled triton step by step only referring to the manual. No jumping steps here, no using brain, just be a robot.

If it doesnt work then you can always go here;

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=43811&highlight=tsc10HB :wink::p

I am sure there are some orange users near packenham who may be able to help.

:2tsup:
good luck

dazzler

djfoggin
24th March 2007, 09:47 AM
Thanks Dazzler,
many words of wisdom, Scooter may not like this - I didn't set the triton up, it came pre assembled, I bought an exdemo ($350) from bunnings in narre warren (scooter can breath easy it wasn't from cranbourne bunnings) so the only thing I needed to do was to place the purchased saw in the chassis and do the alighnment bit.

Did everything from scratch i.e.alighnment this morning.
I had to move the saw right to the very front of the chassis as with the stabilising kit its still a bit away from the pivot point of the saw, according to stabilising kit it should be directly in line with the pivot, this wasn't possible. With the squares the blade is slightly out of square, don't know if this is right as my wife says i cant see straight anyway.

The saw is now nearly in the middle of the slot when you put the top on, just off on a tangent here slightly, the top seemed to be harder to put on this morning, checked that it wasn't the blade (it rotates ok no scraping of metal against metal. So don't know if my table has gone out of square for some reason?

As my post yesterday the cut is still slightly off in the vertical, the horizontal is ok. Just want to get building cupboards for the laundry.

It seems a long time to the next meeting of the triton woodworkers at holmesglen.

David

Stuart
24th March 2007, 01:08 PM
This is going to sound real stupid, and really demeaning, but.....your blade isn't backwards or something?

Sorry - forget I asked - I've just not heard the setup cause this much trouble.

Just read the last post again - think I see the problem...

"it came pre-assembled" and yes, I am serious.

djfoggin
24th March 2007, 06:12 PM
Stuart,

As far as I can see ( please see earlier comments from wife as to my eyesight) the teeth are pointing towards the power switch end.

I know that its going to be something really simple when it comes down to it.

Followed stabilising bracket instructions, but it is nigh on impossible to get the bolt for the slotted strap to line up with the pivot point of the saw, i had to slide the saw further forward on the chassis to get it any where close to being opposite. maybe take some pics of problem to explain it. I need the saw cuts to be straight as wife has list of jobs that nned to be tackled i.e make wine rack, laundry cupboard, etc etc etc

Stuart
24th March 2007, 08:06 PM
Roll on the 15th April (or whenever the next meeting is eh)

scooter
24th March 2007, 10:15 PM
Catching up with David on Monday night to work this through.

toddles
25th March 2007, 01:16 AM
...maybe take some pics of problem to explain it...

Definately post some pics. Maybe draw a exagerated diagram of the "off vertical" you're refering to. I'm pretty sure I know what you mean but I can't see why adjusting the angle of the blade in your saw wouldn't solve it - so maybe I'm assuming wrong.

Two questions:

1) Your WC2000 was an ex-demo. Did it come with the video (it should have)? The set-up and adjustment section takes you through everything you need to adjust the saw.

2) Are you aware that the markings that indicate the angle of the blade on most saws aren't exactly accurate -especially when hanging in a Triton WC? You have to adjust this until the blade is cutting square. The final setting may look like the saw is set at +/- 5º. Some patient test cuts measured with a square between incremental adjustments to the saw blade's angle should solve your problem.

bpj1968
26th March 2007, 02:57 PM
This is a photo of my GMC saw mounted. I haven't had a problem, and haven't used a stabilising bracket.

(Sorry about the blurry photo, combination of dusty saw and reducing fromabout 2 Mb)

I have circled a small stop adjustment screw. (This allows the saw to go beyond 90 degress, i.e. the 91 or 92 you may need. Most saws have simialr adjustments screws at 90, and some also at 45, allows quick return to the coming settings.)

It may be as simple as releasing this a few turns.

If that's not the problem then we might need a photo or use mine as reference, and explain what "angle" you need, i.e 88, 89 92 etc.

Are all your adustments tight. if the lever can't get tight enough, because it's run out of room , undo the nut holding the lever. The lever then comes off like a ring spanner. put it on a bit further around and replace the nut.

Another possible source is the pivot bolts, are they tight enough.

scooter
27th March 2007, 02:41 PM
Went around to David's place last night, & we spent a while working on his W/C setup.

Combination of a few things but nothing a bit of tinkering & a couple of coldies couldn't fix. :)

djfoggin
27th March 2007, 03:07 PM
scooter your assistance was much appreciated last night and I can now cut timber, but what do i do with all these test cuts of mdf??? (LOL)

Thank's to all the other forum members who have offered there pearls of wisdom it was appreciated.

David

Now need to plan for a winerack/cupboards/bookcase etc

Cheers

scooter
27th March 2007, 03:16 PM
Pleasure, David :)

Like I said, get that wine rack done pronto, mate, happy wife = happy life :D

NCArcher
27th March 2007, 04:17 PM
Ya gotta love a happy ending
Good work Scooter :brava

toddles
28th March 2007, 01:02 AM
Ya gotta love a happy ending
Good work Scooter :brava
Hear, Hear!

David: Welcome to the orange beastie love-in.:2tsup:

djfoggin
28th March 2007, 01:08 PM
Spoke to Malcom at triton today and they are replacing the front panel and the side arms as discussed with scooter on monday, so that should force the top down as it was having to be clamped down. They say i will have the parts by monday of next week - fantastic service if they arrive as described and on time!

David

scooter
28th March 2007, 11:54 PM
Spoke to Malcom at triton today and they are replacing the front panel and the side arms as discussed with scooter on monday, so that should force the top down as it was having to be clamped down. They say i will have the parts by monday of next week - fantastic service if they arrive as described and on time!

David

"Ehhhhhxxxcellent" (in my best Monty Burns voice ;) )

Good to hear they're coming to the party, David. :2tsup:

Just George
29th March 2007, 06:23 PM
If I was a rich man i would savemyself some grief and get the triton.

David,

The Hills Clearence Centre in Brisbane had a pallet of them recently, they were selling for $230 each, maybe your nearest Hills Centre has a few left.