PDA

View Full Version : Library Books ........

masoth
23rd March 2007, 08:10 PM
......... on boat building.
Can anyone suggest a book, about building a smiple punt and preferably with plans, a public library is likely to have? I'm thinking about building a one-person floating platform, to put on to the river, from where I can do a spot of fishing.
Something like a small version of the 'tinnies' commonly seen on rivers.
Stop laughing you lot - we all start somewhere!

soth

echnidna
23rd March 2007, 08:12 PM
what about a PDR? (Puddle Duck)
plenty of info in the forum on making one

masoth
23rd March 2007, 08:25 PM
Thanks Bob. Isn't the PDR designed for sail, and would not fitting for sail change the balance of the finished boat? Otherwise it looks very interesting.

soth

echnidna
23rd March 2007, 08:30 PM
I reckon it'd be a good one for paddling Soth, but I'm not a real boatie even though I've had a few different boats
Biting Midge is away for a while.
Maybe Daddles could possibly advise you

masoth
23rd March 2007, 08:39 PM
Thanks Mate.

Studley 2436
23rd March 2007, 08:52 PM
One I do like is here (http://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=323) nice design 14ft and you could lay it out with a tiller control motor centre consol or forward controls if you wanted. Put a deck in it for that matter to make an ideal boat for cruising the backwaters and going for some Murray Cod/Callop

The ones that tought themselves as being easy to make are stitch and glue but this is more expensive. Be neat to get a book and go from there but you might have to pay for plans.

Studley

DJ’s Timber
23rd March 2007, 08:57 PM
What about the wooden punt (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=44090) that Micheal Storer donated recently in the prize draw

masoth
23rd March 2007, 10:25 PM
Thanks Studley and DJ. I have been thinking of a little electric outboard for power, and would you believe the Micheal Storer donation is what started me on this quest, and I completly forgot it. Bluddy 'oltimers gets me every time.
Because I didn't win that prize I guess I'll now have to buy it.

soth

Daddles
23rd March 2007, 10:37 PM
The Puddle Duck ala Mik has a few things going for it.

One, it'll do what you want - yes yes, I know this is usually a dis-incentive, but it does. Sure, it was designed for sail, but it'll also row and Mik knows how to beef up the transom for a small motor.

Second, you can dabble with sail if you like ... or you might choose not to and just not build the saily bits.

Third and the MOST important - it comes with a comprehensive set of plans and instructions that are basically a course in boat building. That makes it worth the miniscule cost on its own.

Now, a boat that is more suitable to your stated requirements and which is a brilliant little design in its own right, is the Mouseboat
cue piccy of daddles being cute in his son's mouseboat :U Actually, it's my son at 12 in the Mouseboat HE built himself - 'Scrat'. In this photo, he's rowing it (it was the first rowing version of the Mouseboat) but most are built to be paddled.

http://woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=7576

Here is a link to this wee boat (on this forum) which includes a link to my imagestation album of the lad building his.Mouse Boat album (http://woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=15960)
This thread also includes a link to Gavin Atkins' website where you can download the plans for free. There's a very active yahoo email group about these boats and quite a few variants now ranging from the original to 14 footers.

After the success of my son's Mouseboat, I built a roughie for myself. I'm 6', 105 kg (ie, 'cuddly') and my Mouseboat, 'Toad', serves me very well. She's a real, 'carry it on your shoulder' boat and will do anything you and the dog want, even in strong winds and chop (if you don't mind getting wet).

Really, you'd be mad to build anything other than these two designs. My personal recommendation is to buy the PDR plans from Mik for $20 - you get far more info than you'll get anywhere else, let alone at such a stupid price, then build a Mouseboat (because it's what you said you wanted). For a small punt, the Mouseboat is the better boat, but is built the same way (it's just different).

Most 'free' plans on the net either aren't free or are crap. The Mouseboat and the PDR are not. Both have both been designed by men who understand boats, understand the technicalities behind boats, who love boats, who understand the needs of the home builder AND the builder of such small craft. Both designs work very well. The PDR is a racing sail boat that will do anything you want except emigrate to Iceland but is primarily a sailing boat. The Mouseboat is a rowing/paddling punt but there are sailing variants for those who want them ... and you probably wouldn't choose it to paddle to Iceland either.

My personal interest? I have built two Mouseboats. I know Gavin Atkin by email and respect him and his boats in the same way I respect Mik who has helped me tremendously over the years and whom I commissioned to design a rig for my fourteen foot sail boat. I'm not biased, these two are among the BEST in the world of small boats.

Richard

jmk89
23rd March 2007, 10:45 PM
If the PDR plans that Michael produced are anything to go by, his Punt plans for $80 will be a bargain. The PDR plan set is not only the plans but also a detailed booklet with heaps of useful info on how to build the boat properly.

I reckon it would be money well spent and the fact that Michael is on the forum (and seems to be a good bloke anyway) means that whenever you strike a problem he's available to advise you. No better "after-sales service" is available in the boat world than to be able to ask the designer what you need to do next to get his design on the water.

Daddles
23rd March 2007, 11:06 PM
and the fact that Michael is on the forum (and seems to be a good bloke anyway)

No 'seems' about it. I know him personally and he is one of nature's gentlemen. He's as passionate and knowledgeable about his craft in person as he appears on the forum and a damned good sailor to boot.

Richard

jmk89
23rd March 2007, 11:14 PM
No 'seems' about it. I know him personally and he is one of nature's gentlemen. He's as passionate and knowledgeable about his craft in person as he appears on the forum and a damned good sailor to boot.

Richard

But (he asks innocently) why would anyone want to boot any sailor, let alone a damned good one?

Is that different from a darn good sailor, who I suppose never has holes in his socks.

This English is tricky stuff.....

Seriously, though, I haven't had many dealings with Michael, but I have friends who have, and they give almost identical testimonials to Richard's.

PS No thread, however sensible, is safe from random outbreaks of drivel.:doh:

Daddles
23rd March 2007, 11:20 PM
PS No thread, however sensible, is safe from random outbreaks of drivel.:doh:

Yeah, well don't let it become a feature here in boats okay? We can have fun with boats and a certain amount of mucking about is cool but let's not spoil the experience okay? [/heavy]

Richard
wearing his moderator's hat :D

masoth
24th March 2007, 10:58 AM
I like the Mouse Boat, but can't imagine me AND a very large Murray Cod in one at the same time, so I will concentrate on the punt by Michael.
Thanks for all contributions.:2tsup:

soth

TK1
24th March 2007, 10:02 PM
Hi,

Have a look at the latest/current Australian Amatuer Boat Builder (their site is www.boatbuilder.com.au but the issue shown is 6 mths old!). On the cover of Jan/Feb/Mar is a 4.6m river punt, like Mr Storer's design, and looks quite easy to build...I've got it in mind for when I eventually get my act together and start building. Not complete plans in the issue, but most of the info you need, and only a few dollars an issue.

Looks like a great little fishing boat if you don't head out anywhere too rough, plenty of room and easily powered.

Alternatively, from the library get "Stitch and Glue Boatbuilding" by Chris Kulczycki which has some great kayaks/canoes. Or see www.clcboats.com if you can't get hold of it. I am looking at building the Mill Creek 13 as an easy car-toppable fly-fishing boat...stable, easy to build from a few sheets of ply.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Darren