Banker loses fingers. . .
http://www.local10.com/news/11253270/detail.html

click on the link under the picture

found elsewhere...

Reminder to be VERY CAREFUL. . .

Jedo

Yrg
25th March 2007, 04:50 AM
Darn figers, getting in the way of the blade . . .

Seriously, that's the fear of every woodworker to have that happen to them. Bothers my stomach just thinking about it.

http://www.woodworkingadvice.com/Articles/Health-Safety.htm

rrich
25th March 2007, 08:45 AM
Magic words to live by...
"I was tired."

soundman
25th March 2007, 08:58 PM
Now thats a horror show:oo: :no:

ss_11000
25th March 2007, 09:08 PM
my cousin freaked out when i showed her the pics:U :o :D

manoftalent
25th March 2007, 09:10 PM
it takes no time at all to make a simple cheap tool to use for guiding wood through the blade a stick of wood something like 50mm x 19mm and about 350mm long ....with a V cut in the end for grip .....WOULD SAVE FINGERS FOR SURE... and rule number one when using cutting equipment .....do it wide awake ...or not at all !

AlexS
25th March 2007, 10:03 PM
Ouch!

watson
25th March 2007, 10:43 PM
Didn't even look at the picture link........now you know why I hold my breath every time I turn on a machine.

scooter
26th March 2007, 12:16 AM
Sheeeyytte :oo::oo::oo:

BobL
26th March 2007, 10:21 AM
Another "botty winking" reminder of what can happen!

As an aside, I wonder what the injury stats are for CSMs V's TS V's portable CS in terms of injuries per number of machines out there. I don't have a lot of experience with CSMs but it seems to me that moving a blade around might be slightly more dangerous than knowing a blade is fixed and where it is in space?

Whatever the case it's another reminder about being careful with machinery. I reckon reading the WWW Safety forum is a very useful contributor to continually raising my safety awareness.

Bleedin Thumb
26th March 2007, 10:49 AM
Didn't even look at the picture link.........

Me either....got the idea from reading the article, don't need to traumatise myself this early.

NCArcher
26th March 2007, 10:56 AM
A bit gory but an exceptional job of re-attaching the fingers.
I'd be interested to see how well it worked and if he recovered full use of the hand.

Shedhand
26th March 2007, 01:12 PM
All i can say is it must have been a chiwanese blade to make a cut that rough....:C

Doughboy
26th March 2007, 02:22 PM
Blood, bone and gore!!!

Sharp spinning things and flesh is always going to end in tears. You think there is going to be a garage sale at this blokes place?

I can just see the advert now,

............ slightly used mitre saw good to the bone!

weetum
24th April 2007, 07:54 AM
Now thats a horror show:oo: :no:

Well, your very simple words are going to be quoted in my next "safety" lesson with my students. Thanks for sharing them. They're a bit young to see "those" pictures :C ( gulp ), and I'm sure there are enough stories going around their companies to have the necessary effect.
Hey, this is my first ever post here ! :B

s_m
24th May 2007, 12:54 PM
Holy @#$%#$%#$%#$%#$% :oo: :oo: :oo:!!!!

He didn't chop his fingers off he chopped his #$%#@$%#$% hand in half...

A very welcome reminder to be very very careful!

Steph

zenwood
24th May 2007, 04:40 PM
A bit gory but an exceptional job of re-attaching the fingers.
I'd be interested to see how well it worked and if he recovered full use of the hand.
Never according to the doctor: "He will never have full use of his hand, but with rehabilitation he should have some movement".

He didn't chop his fingers off he chopped his #$%#@$%#$% hand in halfSurprising to see the fingers all still connected to the outer half of the palm. Meat is a lot softer than wood...

At this point, I think I will take some time to beef up the exit guard on my cross-cut jig. I never want to see a spinning blade emerge from the rear fence that my hand is holding on to. Even though there is a substantial guard over it already, I found myself pushing the thing forward the other day with my hand dangerously low over the guard. Thanks for posting the reminder that butchery is only ever centimetres (and milliseconds) away.