PDA

View Full Version : sticky chucks

hughie
24th March 2007, 10:43 PM
Hi, For all those who like to use hot melt glues. Heres an idea thats simple to make and should be effective as long as the glue holds. Me I am still undecided about the general holding ability. But I like the idea/design.
http://www.peterchild.co.uk/chucks/sticky.htm

Toolin Around
24th March 2007, 10:47 PM
That! is a darn good idea. After you want to remove it, put it back on the iron and gently pry off... love it. The holding ability of hot melt is pretty good, especially if you're talking about the surface area of the plate they have shown there. Your mileage may very of course, but I suspect it would be pretty good

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th March 2007, 02:09 AM
Yup. I'm not a fan of hot-melt glue, but I do use it when the job warrants and, when deeply engrossed, I've forgotten how it's mounted and turned pieces as I normally would (pretty aggressively :rolleyes:) without major calamity.

I've always used ply disks cut with a hole-saw, but methinks that's a good idea and I can see myself getting a few made up of various sizes. :2tsup:

RETIRED
25th March 2007, 09:17 AM
Ithink they use old hard disc drive components. Peninsula Woodturners have been using this method for year.

DJ’s Timber
25th March 2007, 11:33 AM
Ithink they use old hard disc drive components. Peninsula Woodturners have been using this method for year.

I believe they are actually the heads out of a video machine that you're thinking of there

docusk
25th March 2007, 11:37 AM
, do you mean a hard disk from a computer? I have several that have given up the ghost for one reason or another (I work with the damn things!) Suggestions as to which parts or will I see when I take it to bits?
:o
docusk England

DJ’s Timber
25th March 2007, 11:46 AM
Here is a link (http://home.vicnet.net.au/~pwguild/i-vid_hd.htm) to the Peninsula Woodturners page on the Video Heads

Old Arn
25th March 2007, 12:34 PM
Interesting idea. I haven't tried hot glue yet, didn't think it would hold that well, but after reading all your commnets I will have to give it a try.

ubeaut
25th March 2007, 01:02 PM
Hot glue is best removed by freezing. It all comes off. Using heat would make it almost impossible to remove completely and easily from the bottom of a bowl as shown in the Peter Childs link. Thus leaving the bottom with a somewhat undesirable finish that would require sanding or some other form of removal.

Stuart
25th March 2007, 03:09 PM
Ithink they use old hard disc drive components. Peninsula Woodturners have been using this method for year.Wonder where I could find an old harddrive to test this on? ;) :D

OGYT
25th March 2007, 03:25 PM
They also sell an "industrial" Hot Melt Glue, that I've used. It's probably twice as strong as the regular stuff. Like they say, "The wood must be dry", in order for this to work well.
You can dry the flat on a blank with a hair dryer, but it takes a while, and you risk cracking it.
Thanks for posting this info. I've emailed PC and asked about them... (I couldn't find a price for the StickyChuck on their website.

RETIRED
25th March 2007, 03:27 PM

I believe they are actually the heads out of a video machine that you're thinking of there RobboYou are quite right. :2tsup: Relying on memory which is always a bad thing.:U

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th March 2007, 04:35 PM
I believe they are actually the heads out of a video machine that you're thinking of there

AAAAAAAAAARGH! :o

Can you guess who threw out a couple of old VCR's just last Thursday, calling 'em "bloody useless shed clutter?" :doh: Worse, they've been sitting there for years... :-

Frank&Earnest
25th March 2007, 06:45 PM
might be right after all (see pic). I think that's where this piece comes from (I KNEW it would be good for something!:D ).

After all your comments, though, it seems to me that the old piece of scrap wood and PVA is more practical. Just a neat cut with the parting tool and it is as it never existed. (Without even going to the trick of interposing a sheet of paper etc.)

Looking forward to further comments after more people have used it!

Cheers
Frank

scooter
25th March 2007, 11:36 PM
Could scab the rare earth magnets out of the defunct hard drives, though :2tsup:

Frank&Earnest
27th March 2007, 07:34 PM
At a closer look, maybe the HD wheel is not the best. It has a diametre of 47.5mm, it might be a problem with standard 50mm jaws. Will see next week, when my shedload of machinery arrives.
Cheers
Frank

rodent
2nd April 2007, 02:38 AM
ILL get the old one out of the bin for you skew drop it over tomorrow .