PDA

View Full Version : Here's a segmented piece I recently made

Bill Wyko
25th March 2007, 08:59 AM
I bought a jet mini in December and started turning. This is my 12th piece. It's Walnut, Turquoise, curly maple, chakte kok and wenge. It's about 13 inches tall and is finshed with deft then buffed on the 3 wheel. Enjoy and critics are welcome.

lubbing5cherubs
25th March 2007, 10:28 AM
mate beautiful work again. You are doing great for just beginning
Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th March 2007, 03:56 PM
What Toni said.

You've way more patience than I... I have a hard enough time waiting for my bits of tree to dry before slapping 'em on the lathe for a turning session, let alone slicing 'em up and waiting for glue to dry too! :wink:

Zedster
25th March 2007, 07:19 PM
Astounding work, I must admit segmented doesn't float my boat, but I appreciate all the hard work and planning that goes into it, and thats probably why it doesn't float my boat, I am lazy.

However to have reached that high a standard in just three months, the worlds your oyster, you have an obvious eye and a talent, don't whatever you do waste it.................... well done :2tsup: .

Chris

Wayne Blanch
26th March 2007, 06:23 PM
I feel like someone who has just taken part in a Windows Vista add. My first reaction was "WOW" a lovely job.:2tsup:

I have got to give this segmented turning a go but I am a bit like Zedster too lazy and a lot like Skew, I think I am doing well if I wait for the tree to be down before I start turning it let alone having the patience to dry it properly and glue it all together.:D

You should be proud!

Bill Wyko
28th March 2007, 05:37 AM
Well, I stepped it up this weekend and bought a Jet 1442. I also got a set of 100mm jaws for my nova midi. Now it's time to kick it into high gear. (Which is easy with variable speed:2tsup: )Thanks everyone for the compliments. With this new lathe, this is just the beginning.

Bill Wyko
28th March 2007, 08:02 AM
mate beautiful work again. You are doing great for just beginning
Toni
Wow, you make some beautiful pens. I've never tried a pen yet but your work is very inspiring, I'll have to give that a try. Again, very nice work.:2tsup:

chrisb691
28th March 2007, 02:02 PM
Hi Bill,

The pieces are awe inspiring, and the fact that you are so new to it, just blows my mind. :2tsup:

What reference material did you use to get you started on the segmented work?

manoftalent
28th March 2007, 02:16 PM
man you are way ahead for only 12 times, great job mate, you should see some of my disasters ..its ppl like you who give ppl like me inspiration ...thanks mate :2tsup:

WOODbTURNER
28th March 2007, 04:29 PM
It would take me 3 months to cut and stick just one together if I had the patience. My better half said I swear enough already to try it.
Good stuff mate!!

lubbing5cherubs
28th March 2007, 08:39 PM
Wow, you make some beautiful pens. I've never tried a pen yet but your work is very inspiring, I'll have to give that a try. Again, very nice work.:2tsup:

thank you. I enjoy it very much.
Toni:D

Hardenfast
31st March 2007, 07:29 PM
Hi Bill. Great work - amazing!

Can I ask how you fix the turquoise in place? Also, how do you shape it? Surely you don't use the conventional turning tools on it?

Continuing my inquisition, what do you mean by "finished with deft then buffed on the 3 wheel"? What is deft and what is the 3 wheel? Sorry, I've only been turning for 2 weeks & haven't actually made anything yet - your stuff seems light years away at the moment.

Finally, where do you buy the Turquoise to begin with. Do you inlay any other precious stone?

Do I have any other questions? Absolutely!!

Bill Wyko
3rd April 2007, 09:04 AM
Thank you all very much. As far as the Turquoise goes, it's actually a product called inlace. What I did with it was mix up some clear casting resin, mix it up with about a tablespoon of walnut stain then added about 1 cup of the simulated turquoise and poured it into a breadpan. The inlace settles to the bottom. Once it's cured I square up the piece and run it through my drum sander to make it into a rectangle with flat surfaces. Then I cut it into strips determined by the height of the segments to be made. Then I cut it into segments which are part of that beauty ring. Now Once all the rings are drum sanded and glued together i can turn it like anything else.:2tsup: When I started turning I bought a book by Ray Allen and Malcolm Tibbetts. They are both very informative and give you step by step instructions on how to do segmenting. I feel the beauty of segmenting is that you get to use so many different kinds of wood on one piece. I'll tell you though, some of the Hollow forms I've seen you all do is far more difficult than segmenting. Segmenting just takes so long because I have to wait for the glue to dry. I'm working on one right now that will be over 20 inches tall and 12.5 inches across. with 2000 plus pieces. I'll keep you all posted on my progress.:)

Bill Wyko
3rd April 2007, 09:09 AM
Here's another couple I recently made.

Bill Wyko
3rd April 2007, 09:16 AM
Hi Bill. Great work - amazing!

Can I ask how you fix the turquoise in place? Also, how do you shape it? Surely you don't use the conventional turning tools on it?

Continuing my inquisition, what do you mean by "finished with deft then buffed on the 3 wheel"? What is deft and what is the 3 wheel? Sorry, I've only been turning for 2 weeks & haven't actually made anything yet - your stuff seems light years away at the moment.

Finally, where do you buy the Turquoise to begin with. Do you inlay any other precious stone?

Do I have any other questions? Absolutely!!You sound like me when I started. I'm one of those guys that'll ask questions until I get answers. I like that in a person. Tells me they want to learn.:2tsup:
www.inlaceonline (http://www.inlaceonline) is the source for the turquoise simulate. Deft is a glossy laquer available at most hardware stores and a three wheel is a tool made by a company called Beal What it is. is a shaft that goes on your lathe with 3 buffing wheels. The first is a coarse wheel with tripoli the next wheel is softer and has a combo wheel and uses white diamond. The 3rd is a soft cotton wheel that uses pure carnuba wax. Turn it on, start on the left and go to your right. Now you're done at the other end.:D

Hardenfast
4th April 2007, 05:38 PM
Many thanks Bill.

I'm currently checking out the products etc that you've mentioned. Managed to find the Beall Tool company and their great range of wood turning accessories, including the 3 on-lathe mandrell set of buffing wheels. For those not familiar with Beall look here:

http://www.bealltool.com/

Obviously, I must have one. Anybody know of a local agent for the Beall equipment? Otherwise I'll get my son to bring one back with him in a few weeks, plus a few other goodies. You Americans have all the good stuff over there. The Inlace company and their range of inlay fillers etc is also amazing. I'm moving to the US.

http://www.inlaceonline.com/

Keep the piccies coming, Bill - great inspiration. I'll try not to annoy you - well, not too much anyway. Having said that, feel free to provide details of a few more of your products/dealers when you have time. I'm generally able to have these things brought back over here on a regular basis.

Much appreciated. Wayne

Bill Wyko
5th April 2007, 08:16 AM
Here's some pics of the latest piece I'm building. It'll be 12 inches in diameter and 20+ inches tall. with over 2000 pieces.:no: I just hope it'll stay on the lathe until I'm done. There's also some pics of my centering plate and a pic of how I put a bottom in it. Enjoy and as always comments and suggestions are always appreciated.:2tsup:

tashammer
5th April 2007, 08:57 AM
i figured out how you do it so well; you don't have any real pieces of wood, all you have are the bits of things that have exploded at times. So you HAD to learn to be good with segments else you woulda been unable to make anyfin at all. Am i right or am i right?

Hardenfast
5th April 2007, 09:25 AM
Pretty daunting stuff, Bill. What type of ahesive do you use? Any chance of some pics on the cutting & clamping process?

Bill Wyko
6th April 2007, 03:14 AM
Here's some of the rings that it took to make the one pictured. I'll have to put up pics of the cutting procedure when I bring my camera to work. :2tsup:The pic on the left is my homemade press for clamping the rings on top of each other after drumsanding. The glue I use is titebond2. BTW other than the turquoise you can bet it's all real wood.:p

tashammer
6th April 2007, 11:54 AM
re the Beall Co - he seems to be very good value. The vernier protractor caught my eye so i checked to see if there was an Australian supplier, there was:
http://www.rs-components.com.au/1/42891-UNIVERSAL-PRECN-PROTRACTO.html

even lists the Chinese supplier, but if you look at the price, the Australian supplier wants $Au260.00 for 1.

So i thought given the huge price variation that, maybe, Mr. Beall made a mistake on the price of $US 65.00.

Dear Mr.Beall, himself, emailed me back and said the price was $US65.00 as stated on the web site:

http://www.bealltool.com/products/measuring/protractor.php

Strewth, thought i. No wonder we feel like some Australian merchants are screwing us for all we are worth. What is the price difference, around 180.00 ?

Well, i know where i am shopping.

Tankstand
6th April 2007, 11:56 AM
Beautiful work Bill, and thankyou for the step-by-steps.

GordRocks
6th April 2007, 03:18 PM
the Australian supplier wants $Au260.00 for 1.

So i thought given the huge price variation that, maybe, Mr. Beall made a mistake on the price of $US 65.00.

$65.00USD = $79.42AUD

Wow, what a difference!!! How do they justify that kind of increase? Can't all be shipping charges.

Bruce101
6th April 2007, 04:23 PM
Magnificent work Bill.....Keep up the good work, it's products like this that keep me inspired when the s.... hits the proverbial fan and I feel like giving it away.

Bruce G.

chrisb691
6th April 2007, 05:11 PM
When I started turning I bought a book by Ray Allen and Malcolm Tibbetts. They are both very informative and give you step by step instructions on how to do segmenting.:)

Hi Bill,

When I looked at your original post, I found it pretty stunning that you had got so far in such a short time. It inspired me to order a couple of books off Amazon, on segmentated turning. One was by Allen, and the other by Tibbets. Seems possible that they are the same ones you started with. :rolleyes: If all goes well, I might eventually be posting some wotk that looks similar to some of yours. Would that be plagarism? :D