PDA

View Full Version : Thor rebuilds

greenie512
25th March 2007, 10:45 PM
So, this is the rebuild of my beloved Seas Thor transmission lines into their new MLTL cabinets. Those cheesy braces took ages to drill out.

For the full blown theory behind this check out the links on my WIP page http://www.greenie512.net/greenie512/html/wip.html plus the low down on my recent stuff ups.

Cheers - Phil

Harry72
26th March 2007, 01:58 AM
You must like drillin holes or something!

greenie512
26th March 2007, 08:51 AM

Harry, I usually cut “ladder” type braces. However there is +/-85 mm width on the top part of the side-side bracing where the front-back brace passes through it. A bit like Wendy’s wood talking to her? I could just hear my 60 mm hole saw speaking to me “…use me … use me …” – so I did!

But for the lower part I’d marked 3 rectangular openings so drilled 12 holes in the corners to get my jig saw in. Before I could reach for the jig saw in the cupboard the spade, Forstner, hole and other bits started calling out “well you’ve started now … finish the job as designed …use me …use me …use me …” – so I did!

Cheers - Phil

greenie512
7th April 2007, 06:27 PM
Just gluing the tops on, here's a shot before the last side goes on.

Harry72
7th April 2007, 06:34 PM
Those Xovers look huge!

greenie512
7th April 2007, 08:07 PM
Harry - you've got good eyes. Yep there a bit big - all premium parts Hovland etc - here's a closer look in their original cabinet (actually slung under the base). Second picture shows some rather large capacitors from a previous project.

Harry72
8th April 2007, 10:50 PM
A few dollars worth tied up there, its amazing how much they can cost... more than the drivers/enclosures sometimes!

greenie512
9th April 2007, 10:32 AM
A few dollars worth tied up there, its amazing how much they can cost... more than the drivers/enclosures sometimes!

Yes, it shocked me when I first started 3-4 years ago how expensive those little bit for a crossover can cost and it can get eye-wateringly painful if you go for the premium parts another reason I got interested in full-range drivers.

Well basically finished the boxes, still rough yet but couldn't wait to get em back in the living room and have a listen. With the redesigned MT TL box slightly smaller than the original, I how have the BASS that the original design should have produced. For more detail on that see my thread over at diyAudio - http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99596

Pic 2 - finally remembered to use some blocks to stop tear-out when routing out over a flush panel.

ciscokid
9th April 2007, 09:19 PM
"Pic 2 - finally remembered to use some blocks to stop tear-out when routing out over a flush panel."

Clever. Very clever. Excellent use for scrap pieces. I continually learn new tricks from you guys.

greenie512
30th August 2007, 09:06 PM
Well, with the help of Brisso57 I finally got around to veneering the Thors. This is Sliced Pacific Maple paper backed veneer and I’m a bit embarrassed to say 3 coats of good old poly. I must start investigating shellac and laquer finishes in the not to distant future.

For the raw veneer pics see http://www.greenie512.net/greenie512/html/finished_thors.html

Harry72
31st August 2007, 10:30 PM
Why thats a fantastically smashing effort Wallace!

greenie512
4th September 2007, 10:18 PM
Why thats a fantastically smashing effort Wallace!

You know – I was so pleased with the end result Harry – I just had to go and have a piece of gorgonzola

kiwigeo
5th September 2007, 07:08 PM

I would have gone down to my local Bunnings and bought a few bags of holes.....on special this week.

Big Shed
5th September 2007, 07:42 PM
I would have gone down to my local Bunnings and bought a few bags of holes.....on special this week.

But would they have met your exacting requirements?:rolleyes:

kiwigeo
5th September 2007, 11:06 PM
Im sure I would have had one of the people behind the counter roaming the aisles looking for the bags of holes.

sundancewfs
8th September 2007, 07:38 AM
Reminds me of the guy who was cutting up mine shafts and selling them as wells...
Nice rebuild greenie512. A lot of effort gone in there.

Pete F
2nd November 2007, 05:55 PM
So how do they sound?

greenie512
3rd November 2007, 12:25 PM
Pete, the “Small” Thors sound absolutely stunning. Are they the best speaker in the world – of course not but you’d need to spend a hellava lot of dosh to better these babies.

Because they don’t have massive dedicated woofers you will not get window rattling bass. But what I get is good enough to make me retire my 10” XLS Peerless sub.

What everyone comments on the great mids and highs the Seas Excel drivers deliver. These speakers play the full range of music from folk/jazz to electronic “noise” with aplomb.

For a fuller review see - http://www.greenie512.net/greenie512/html/small_thor_review.html

Pete F
3rd November 2007, 09:49 PM
Ok, thanks. I have considered both the Thor but was sold on the Orions. As it's turned out the new room they will be going in is wide and but not deep so I wouldn't have the room behind the speakers for the Orions. I hear good things about those drivers but they would replace EPOS ES22 and I'm not entirely certain it would be a huge upgrade.

Pete