PDA

View Full Version : Danish Oil

JackoH
19th April 2000, 06:34 PM
I have been informed by someone who should know that D.O. is toxic and should not be used as a finish on any surface that is likely to come into contact with food. Can anyone throw any light on this please?
John H.

Mac Simmons
20th April 2000, 03:42 AM
Most "drying oils" contain metallic driers, which contain "heavy metals" like lead, cobalt, magnesium, zinconium, etc. These "metals" will remain in the coating after the it has dried.
This is the reason the "Danish Oils" are not reccomended for surfaces that food would be served on.
MacS

JackoH
20th April 2000, 10:27 AM
Mac. Thanks for the info on D.O.This is the sort of thing I have been hearing. However is there a definitive answer on this? Rustins label only carries the warnings re keeping out of reach of children,avoid naked flame, etc. and can be used on the handles of kitchen utensils and lids of jars.

Further to the above:-
I have now done what I should have done in the first place and spoken to my supplier re. Danish Oil. The brand which they sell and I use is Rustins (made in the U.K.) This product hes been passed by the British Health & Safety Council as safe to use on food containers and baby toys 30 days after application, as any oils and other ingredients are absorbed by the wood or have evaporated after this period of time.There are however, several different brands of Danish oil on the market and the above may not apply to them. Hope this clears up some of the confusion which seems to be around.
John H.

[This message has been edited by John Hambly (edited 20 April 2000).]

Mac Simmons
21st April 2000, 01:33 PM
For what ever this is worth.

"Danish Oil" is a just name used by many finishing manufacturers.
There also is a company in the US that sells a "Salad Bowl Oil" that is approved by the FDA here.It don't contain any metallic driers. It also lacks many of the good characteristics of the "Danish Oils".
It's a trade off, non toxic coatings would be needed for any materials used for foods. So,these coatings would not be as durable or chemical resistant as the "DANISH OIL."