PDA

View Full Version : Another Which way should I turn....

Doughboy
26th March 2007, 02:55 PM
I am now in the position of being able to purchase a lathe ........... herein is the dilemma. I reckon $2000 should get my foot in the door nicely.

I really like the Leady, I'm impressed with the new nova and then there are probably others that need serious consideration.

I am not wanting to turn four-poster bed legs, but I would like to get into pens, pencils, platters and bowls, you know all the sorts of things one can do that is on a small scale.

I'd appreciate some other peoples thoughts on these and other choices available to me.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th March 2007, 03:17 PM
I really like the Leady, I'm impressed with the new nova and then there are probably others that need serious consideration.

Given a $2k price cap, I'd also be inclined to look at the Vicmarc VL100 series... ranges from around $1.1k for the VL100A thru to around $1.8k for the VL100C. Hmm... which Nova are you looking at? I don't think you'll find a DVR in that price range? I like the Woodfast lathes, too, but am not sure what models are available. :rolleyes:

I think that given a choice between a Leady lathe and, say, a Nova 1624, I'd go for the Leady every time provided it came with an extra bed or two. Great unit for the money and Bruce is an approachable bloke. :2tsup:

lubbing5cherubs
26th March 2007, 03:36 PM
Gidday I can't comment on the other lathes but I must say I love my Nova 1624
Toni

Cliff Rogers
26th March 2007, 03:53 PM
I have a big Vicmarc with electronic variable speed & a small Jet without.

The the price you are looking at, I would consider a jet with electronic variable speed.

The Jet Mini with EVS is about $600.

The next size up is the Jet 1442 about $1600 but it is a mechanical variable speed.
I don't know what it is like but I have a Shopsmith with a mechanical variable speed & it is very noisey.

The next size up is the Jet 1642 with EVS but it is about $2650.

PS. Don't forget to leave some money in the kitty for all the extra bits.... the lathe is the cheap bit. :wink:

Twinnie
26th March 2007, 05:40 PM
this might sound a silly question but do you have a band saw? because if you don't then it's realy nice to have a good low speed. it's also good if you want to have a go at of center things.

my troubles with my nova 16/24 are well documented but i still wouldn't part with it if you payed me.

most evs lathes i've seen don't go below 450 rpm but i havn't had much experiance with them my self.

Matt

Cliff Rogers
26th March 2007, 05:45 PM
...most evs lathes i've seen don't go below 450 rpm ....
The one on my Vicmarc is "Infinitely Variable 30 -3000 rpm"
That is a half a rev per second.

Zedster
26th March 2007, 05:46 PM
I use a Nova DVR and cannot fault it, cannot comment on others

DavidG
26th March 2007, 05:49 PM
The one on my Vicmarc is "Infinitely Variable 30 -3000 rpm"
That is a half a rev per second.
and if you change the belt to the other pully it is 10 to 1000rpm :2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th March 2007, 06:04 PM

What'd that set you back? Around the $4k mark? A wee tad over his budget I think. :D

and if you change the belt to the other pully it is 10 to 1000rpm :2tsup:

Now really... how many people do you know who actually use their lathe as a winch? :oo: Some speeds are ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Just to play Devil's Advocate, EVS isn't particularly attractive to me. Maybe just 'cos the earlier versions were so damned prone to breaking down and causing grief... something I trust that has been improved over recent years!? When one starts playing up, well... there goes your lathe.

At least with a pulley-system or mechanical speed adjustment, if something goes wrong the average shed-tinkerer with some basic metal-working skills has a chance of fixing it. (Says the bloke with the original Frankenlathe. :p:D)

DavidG
26th March 2007, 06:44 PM
Now really... how many people do you know who actually use their lathe as a winch? :oo: Some speeds are ridiculous. :rolleyes:
Don't know about that.
With off centre turning I like to watch it go round nice and slow a few times so I know where NOT to put the hands. :C

Also reveals if things are where they are supposed to be.
Like turning it by hand a few times, but the lazy mans way.:;

rsser
26th March 2007, 07:14 PM
Good if you're reverse turning too ... ramping up slowly ... :o

soundman
27th March 2007, 11:47 AM
If you're thinking about mostly small stuff, the new version of the jet mini is certainly worth a look
It now swings 12 inches, add an extension bed and you have a lathe that has more capacity than some of the " full sized lathes".

you could then afford a band saw too.

cheers

DavidG
27th March 2007, 01:15 PM
Go and play with a few out at the Canberra guild (http://www.woodcraftguild.org.au/)"Shed"

Do not forget that you will need about $700 - $800 for chucks and some tools etc not counting Bandsaw, dusty, and what ever else.:doh:

Run now whilst you still can :;

baxter
27th March 2007, 06:11 PM
... which Nova are you looking at? I don't think you'll find a DVR in that price range?

What'd that set you back? Around the $4k mark? A wee tad over his budget I think.

Now wanting to buy into the "which one" debate, just noting that - in the October 2006 Australian Woodworker - Trend Timbers in Sydney were quoting a Nova DVR XP for $2,995. That price included a Supernova 2 Chuck and free delivery in the Sydney area. I realise that this was six months ago, however I don't believe that the recommended retail price would have varied much in the interim.:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th March 2007, 07:31 PM
Now wanting to buy into the "which one" debate, just noting that - in the October 2006 Australian Woodworker - Trend Timbers in Sydney were quoting a Nova DVR XP for $2,995. That price included a Supernova 2 Chuck and free delivery in the Sydney area.

Just did a search and found a Nova DVR XP going for $1999. :oo: Jim Carroll, on the other hand, has a Nova DVR3000 XP listed at $3300.

I wonder what the differences are? Hitting the Teknatool site isn't really informative... it seems the DVR's are still under development and model no's are coming and going as things change.

Still... $1999? Hmmm... I wonder what my Frankenlathe would pull on ebay? Enough for a deposit? :innocent:

baxter
27th March 2007, 08:27 PM
Just did a search and found a Nova DVR XP going for $1999. :oo: Jim Carroll, on the other hand, has a Nova DVR3000 XP listed at $3300.

I wonder what the differences are? Hitting the Teknatool site isn't really informative... it seems the DVR's are still under development and model no's are coming and going as things change.

Still... $1999? Hmmm... I wonder what my Frankenlathe would pull on ebay? Enough for a deposit? :innocent:

Skew I don't think you will find any difference, just marketed differently in the USA to Australia.:D

I dip my lid to you on Jim's price, but I think that once you put the $US in front of the 1,999 and added the shipping you might find that you will have to put some cash with the MC to cover the deposit.:U

Twinnie
27th March 2007, 08:30 PM
in the latest? wood reveiw mag there is a section by richard raffin on chosing a lathe
which you might find interisting.

Matt

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th March 2007, 08:34 PM
Skew I don't think you will find any difference, just marketed differently in the USA to Australia.:D

:doh: Normally, I tick the "pages from Oz" box but obviously I didn't that time. :-

Still... is this (http://www.trendtimbers.com.au/index.php?id=69) the offer you were talking about? Obviously still current. Maybe I'll throw one'r'two o' the MC-900's on epay too. :D

baxter
27th March 2007, 08:41 PM
:doh: Normally, I tick the "pages from Oz" box but obviously I didn't that time. :-

Still... is this (http://www.trendtimbers.com.au/index.php?id=69) the offer you were talking about? Obviously still current. Maybe I'll throw one'r'two o' the MC-900's on epay too. :D

I'll have to have a look where the "pages from Oz" box is.:D

That advert is in a different format but same lathe and chuck deal for same price. If that price is still current then I would recommend it, and Trend Timbers for that matter, to anybody who is interested:2tsup:

Doughboy
27th March 2007, 11:55 PM
Thanks for all the replies. It seems that they are all ''good'' it just depends on personal preference.