PDA

View Full Version : Hand cranked drill press

RoadToad
9th July 2003, 11:48 PM
Hi all

I just bought a hand cranked drill press at a Trash 'n Treasure and wondered if anybody knows anything about it - I havn't seen one before. Can find nothing on the internet about it.

The only markings on it are 'The Globe' and Australia 403. I am pretty pleased with it as it seems to be in good working order, although I am yet to drill a hole.

A large cam on the hand crank gradually pushes the chuck down as it rotates by means of a ratchet and levers.

Have attached a photo

Anyone?

derekcohen
10th July 2003, 04:51 PM
RoadToad

Nice find! I spied one on eBay a few months ago, which was going cheaply, but the cost of shipping across Oz to Perth was exorbitant.

Now wait for Armageddon and you'll be the only one drilling!

Another one for us Neanderthals.

Regards from Perth

Derek

RoadToad
10th July 2003, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the comments Derek

Not too cheap I hope ... I paid $80 for it.

haha ... yes, I know what you mean about the cost of shipping ... I had enough trouble lugging it to the car!

Armageddon too - although I suspect the drilling would be rather slow. Still there may be a plentiful supply of cheap labour under those circumstances!

Any idea of the 'provenance' ? (do old tools have provenance? I don't know.) I would like to find out who used to make them and when etc

Cheers

Neil aka RoadToad

kenmil
10th July 2003, 08:17 PM
$80 sounds a little too much for an anchor. Jeez, you blokes and your old scrap metal.:D

RoadToad
10th July 2003, 08:47 PM
yeah well that is one way of looking at it, I suppose, but it should outlast you and me and every electric drill in the country...

I know I could buy a modern crappy press for the same money. Guess I just appreciate the simple design and the amount of effort that went into making it. :)

kenmil
10th July 2003, 10:22 PM
RoadToad,

Don't be offended, I had fun time with Derek earlier this week on the subject of his piece of sh...er..Porsche bomb....er car. Your post is in the same vein, so I couldn't resist . Nothing personal.;)

soundman
10th July 2003, 10:22 PM
Yes toad my brotherinlaw has one just like it.

I was once co opted to crank it.

drilling progressed reasonably quickly i thaught.

His version had a groove for a belt drive on the crank wheel.

Commonly known as a blacksmiths drill.

More productive than an exercise bike and better for the upper body.

fxst
10th July 2003, 10:35 PM
maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate its not worth a cracker but if u want u can freight it to me and Ill use it as a mooring anchor for my canoe
I pay the freight to help u out

RoadToad
10th July 2003, 11:55 PM
Ok guys, thats fine, give it to me straight. I can take it. No ken, I'm not offended, all comments are fine by me as long as there is some humour (or information) in there somewhere. So thx so far, and I'm still happy with it DESPITE the anchor remarks.

Dennis Hill
11th July 2003, 06:32 AM
With a sharp drill bit that old lump of cast iron will drill a hole pretty quickly. I have a similar, but most probably older, drill and it still wotks fine. You need to keep them well oiled and be a bit patient but they will do the job quite well.
Muscle development is a bit one-sided though.;)

Neal
11th July 2003, 07:25 AM
RoadToad dont know if its any help but this site has a few "Post Drills" they are restoring . http://www.grm.net/~shlosser/yeold.htm
Neal

RoadToad
11th July 2003, 07:17 PM
Thanks Neal

I appreciate the effort. yep enjoyed the site. have found
a few more bits on post drills, since.

Cheers Neil aka RoadToad

RoadToad
11th July 2003, 07:19 PM
Thanks Dennis too

Oh well, some muscle development better than none! Have to spin iy 180 degrees occasionally and wind backwards!!

DonN
11th July 2003, 07:59 PM
think you will find you can fit a motor on that drill. A flat belt driving on to the fly wheel.
DonN

RoadToad
11th July 2003, 10:11 PM
Its interesting you should say that Don, as in my web browsing i had just been reading something about just that thing, although not on this particular drill. (here is a good restoration of an older drill press, by the way (http://home.att.net/~ilikerust/postdrill.html).

When you mentioned a belt drive and my drill press my immediate reaction was 'no way' but then I went and had a look. Now I'm not so sure but I don't know much about these things..... Here is a photo I just took showing the flywheel from above. (No 'get a life' comments thanks, anyone!) Would a belt stay on that wheel?

Cheers Neil

DonN
11th July 2003, 10:30 PM
Neil
That is the same type of pulley my drill had. I drove my drill with a 1/4hp 1440 rpm motor. The motor had a 2'' flat pulley and drove a 1" flat leather belt. I did buy it all set up, the chap sold it to me for $10. I only kept it for 2 years before selling it at a tool auction for $112.
If you set you drill up with a motor be carefully as the only way to stop it it to switch the motor off.
Have fun restoring it.
DonN
:D

RoadToad
11th July 2003, 10:41 PM
Thanks for that Don .... I am looking forward to doing some work on it. I like the idea of a motor, but am a little nervous about belts and pulleys, guess i should make a guard for it, but that would probably look bad! After my admission that I paid $80 for the drill I am not sure I should reveal that I lopped off the end of two fingers in my reckless youth - by oiling a motorbike chain while the motor was going. :(

Anyway will keep my eyes open for a suitable motor.

Cheers, Neil

RoadToad
11th July 2003, 10:46 PM
Well I shan't take that seriously then.

DonN
11th July 2003, 10:51 PM
Doorstop

Thats about all I see them go for now. People just don't want them any more because of the cheap drill presses made in china.

DonN

JohnM
11th July 2003, 11:22 PM
Neil, if you do fit a motor drive, FIT A GOOD GUARD TO MEET OHAS STANDARDS!!!!! Please!!!! I have done some work in accident research, and believe me pictures of people who have had their arms torn off by machines like this are not funny to look at.:eek:

RoadToad
14th July 2003, 04:13 PM
John

That is a fair comment; If I do motorise it I will fit a decent
guard to it. I think I will probably leave well enough alone though.
If it looks good, I won't mind if it isn't the most efficient thing in
the world. I won't risk any further digits or limbs, I can assure you!!

Neil.