PDA

View Full Version : $18 Workbench Upgrade

MajorPanic
27th March 2007, 08:23 PM
The double fluoro over the small bench finally gave up the ghost. :((

As I'm getting older I find I need the incandescent work light more & more....(needed glasses too :oo: ) for fine work.

So for the princely sum of $18.00 I bought 3, 12V Q/H down lights :U
Found a bit of scrap Camphor & the rest was easy! :wink: :2tsup:

What a bloody difference!! now I can see fine detail easily & because the lights are set quite high I don't fry me brains. :roll:

Now I'm well pleased VERY even lighting & less shadows, due to moving the lights back towards the wall a bit more.... & bright!!!

http://www.majorpanic.com/images/woodwork/BB/Lighting_1.jpg

http://www.majorpanic.com/images/woodwork/BB/Lighting_2.jpg

Sir Stinkalot
27th March 2007, 08:29 PM
Love it ...... Thought about it myself after seeing how effective that they are over kitchen benches ..... I will have to give it a shot now.

The Camphor really makes it into an art work.

Gumby
27th March 2007, 08:55 PM
I have a few ambitions left in my life.

1. Retire with enough money to be comfortable

2. have grand children

3. stay healthy

4. Take a bucket of sawdust to Brisbane South and chuck it all over MP's workshop :cool:

MajorPanic
27th March 2007, 09:07 PM

4. Take a bucket of sawdust to Brisbane South and chuck it all over MP's workshop :cool:

Ya want directions on how to get here Gumby?

You'd be more than welcome anytime!!

(Major - Hat maker to the Stars)

BobL
27th March 2007, 09:11 PM

Only one? - maybe you mean "truck" , not "bucket"?

DJ’s Timber
27th March 2007, 09:20 PM

I've got 4 or 5 44 gallon size bags of shavings from the buzzer and thicknesser you can have too Gumby :2tsup:

Ps consider the idea stolen Major

Gumby
27th March 2007, 09:29 PM
Ya want directions on how to get here Gumby?

No need.

I put the words 'too tidy' into 'whereis.com' and it came up with your address. :cool:

Lignum
27th March 2007, 09:42 PM
Love it, just like your workshop :2tsup: A simple solution to a problem we all have. A trip to Bunnies on the weekend is in order now. Great tip Maj:D

Wood Butcher
27th March 2007, 09:47 PM
Trust me Gumby, the photos do Majors workshop no justice.

It's even cleaner in real life!!:o

Gumby
27th March 2007, 10:04 PM
Trust me Gumby,

I never have before and see no reason to change :D

manoftalent
28th March 2007, 12:17 AM
great idea mate :2tsup: I will be adding that to my workshop soon as I finsih building the damn thing

RufflyRustic
28th March 2007, 09:48 AM
Me too.

There's gonna be little versions of Major's shed popping up all over Australia soon :D

rod1949
28th March 2007, 10:51 AM
Brilliant absolutely brilliant

zenwood
28th March 2007, 12:03 PM
A pure stroke of genius, Major. You can tell because we're all slapping our foreheads saying to ourselves "Why didn't I think of that?"

That second photo looks very inviting . . . pure wood- seduction . . ."Hmm come here and shave me . . . you know you want to . . ." in a deep husky voice . . .

rod1949
28th March 2007, 12:11 PM
That second photo looks very inviting . . . pure wood- seduction . . ."Hmm come here and shave me . . . you know you want to . . ." in a deep husky voice . . .

zenwood you're sick.

Bodgy
28th March 2007, 12:37 PM
Major

I'm going to shamelessly copy that idea (and call it my own). I have a single bright fluoro bulb over the bench but it casts shadows. Yours shouldn't.

Could I ask; the spacing of the lights, whether you would make it 4 x if you made again, and the height above the bench it hangs?

silentC
28th March 2007, 12:41 PM
Found a bit of scrap Camphor
If that's what constitutes a scrap in your shed, then I'm sending my cousin with his B Double to pick up your rubbish next time he's up your way.

robbiewy
28th March 2007, 01:06 PM

I think Zenwood is right it should be this months centre fold for woodworkers playboy.:D

MajorPanic
28th March 2007, 06:28 PM
Major

I'm going to shamelessly copy that idea (and call it my own). I have a single bright fluoro bulb over the bench but it casts shadows. Yours shouldn't.

Could I ask; the spacing of the lights, whether you would make it 4 x if you made again, and the height above the bench it hangs?G'day Bodgy,

The lights are spaced on 560mm centres & the hight above the bench is just on 1200mm.

It's only a small bench (6') so 3 lights seem to be enough... there is no hot spots or fall off from one light to the other. :2tsup: :2tsup:
The bulbs I'm using are 60° spread which I was told are the widest available.

chrisp
28th March 2007, 06:50 PM
I don't want to be a stick in the mud and undermine MajorPanic's lights idea, but using Q/H lights might be okay in MajorPanic's super clean and dust-free workshop, but the rest of us might want to consider that Q/H lights can get very hot and may be an ignition source in a typically dusty workshop.

Gumby
28th March 2007, 07:02 PM
but the rest of us might want to consider that Q/H lights can get very hot and may be an ignition source in a typically dusty workshop.

so can baked beans :(

outback
28th March 2007, 08:17 PM
The trick is not to fart while the static is discharging from the dusty. :o

MajorPanic
28th March 2007, 08:35 PM
I don't want to be a stick in the mud and undermine MajorPanic's lights idea, but using Q/H lights might be okay in MajorPanic's super clean and dust-free workshop, but the rest of us might want to consider that Q/H lights can get very hot and may be an ignition source in a typically dusty workshop.At the lighting shop I bought the lights from I also saw covers for the back end of downlights for about $11. The speal said you can cover right up to & even over the lights with some insulation materials, although I'd never cover a downlight with insulation. :oo:

Might be the way to go if you are worried about that sort of thing. :cool:

Wongo
29th March 2007, 11:25 AM
:doh: Oh geez, what's wrong with a bit MDF?

:D

Gumby, don't use sawdust. Use red paint instead. :D

Doughboy
29th March 2007, 11:38 AM
So that must be Tip # 591 from the Big Book of 'Panic Tricks!

Yep I too have filed it away under must do's.

Wongo
29th March 2007, 11:46 AM
Major

Could I ask; the spacing of the lights, whether you would make it 4 x if you made again, and the height above the bench it hangs?

But where are you going to put it? :D 20 cm above your workbench?

Wild Dingo
29th March 2007, 02:16 PM
aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the cleanliness!!! gawd the tidiness hurts!! :o mmmmoooommmyyyyyyyyy!! :U

Seriously... gawd dont yer ever get it dust covered dirty chips everywhere bits an peices of jobs every which way?? I mean... MM MAA MATE!! :doh:

If thats your idea of "scrap" I definantly want to raid your scrap pile :2tsup: ... this will be about 5 nano seconds after Ive raided your sparkly shiney shed :;

okay okay nuff Shane :roll: a couple of questions come to mind

1) is it a tin shed? if so how'd you go about sticking the ruddy ply to the walls? and who has that much ply that they can stick it on the walls? Im gonna have to find a real cheep source of ply around here! I want ply walls!!

2) Are you always sooooo flamin neat? I mean lookit the walls :o all those special holders brackets an such everything just so... is it always like that? or have you gone totally troppo cleaning and tidying everything just for the photo op?

3) the lights are a brillian idea!! :2tsup: mind you Ive gotta do something cause those fluro spotlights on the stands I have modified for over head light are sizzling me mushy stuff out there

Cheers
Shane

Did I mention your shed burnt me eyesockets? :;

Bodgy
29th March 2007, 02:28 PM
But where are you going to put it? :D 20 cm above your workbench?

Scotty

The lights will go over the bench in the new and seriously big 'shop' to be built when I move the 30 cubic metres of dirt and sandstone that currently occupies the space.

TassieKiwi
29th March 2007, 02:31 PM

He is a tidy prick! Great craftsman though, so it all balances out.:cool:

I've been meaning to do this for years. At present I have a couple of 350w worklights over it, but they get a bit hot. Nice in winter.

MajorPanic
29th March 2007, 04:11 PM
:doh: Oh geez, what's wrong with a bit MDF?

What's MDF :? :? :?

:wink: :U

zenwood
29th March 2007, 07:33 PM
What's MDF
I think it must have something to do with this 'sawdust' that people keep talking about -- ?

Dingo: if you can go with other than plywood walls, you could do what I did and use gyprock, or 3mm MDF (- oops! who said that?) on the doors to keep the weight down.

MajorPanic
29th March 2007, 07:48 PM
I think it must have something to do with this 'sawdust' that people keep talking about -- ?

Dingo: if you can go with other than plywood walls, you could do what I did and use gyprock, or 3mm MDF (- oops! who said that?) on the doors to keep the weight down.I used 15mm flooring grade ply on the walls for a couple of reasons;
I wanted to hang cabinets & other heavy things on the walls.
It helps a lot with sound insulation.
Makes the structure VERY strong. :U :U
Also got a pretty good deal on bulk buy. :2tsup:

MajorPanic
29th March 2007, 08:04 PM
:roll: a couple of questions come to mind

1) is it a tin shed? if so how'd you go about sticking the ruddy ply to the walls? and who has that much ply that they can stick it on the walls? Im gonna have to find a real cheep source of ply around here! I want ply walls!!

2) Are you always sooooo flamin neat? I mean lookit the walls :o all those special holders brackets an such everything just so... is it always like that? or have you gone totally troppo cleaning and tidying everything just for the photo op?

3) the lights are a brillian idea!! :2tsup: mind you Ive gotta do something cause those fluro spotlights on the stands I have modified for over head light are sizzling me mushy stuff out there

Cheers
Shane

Did I mention your shed burnt me eyesockets? :;
Thanks Shane,

1) The shed is indeed tin. A 6 X 9mtr Titan.
The design/style of the shed was based on me wanting to line it with ply. It's 'Goldstar' Stud Frame shed. If I went with a portal frame, lining the shed would of been a nightmare.

2) Yup, I'm 'usually' pretty neat especially when I'm doing a reasonable size project. But... it usually turns into a crap pile when the project is in the final stages...... haven't worked that one out yet! :? :? :? The shed was in a 'as is' condition for the photo - no cleaning up required. :U :U

3)Try the down lights, I reckon you will like them. They are cheap enough to change if you don't find that they work for you. :wink:

coedcae
1st April 2007, 04:13 PM
Will he get some dust on top of the lights? :o

Peter

David L
1st April 2007, 05:07 PM
[quote=coedcae;488410]Will he get some dust on top of the lights? :o

No he will connect them to the dusty:wink: