PDA

View Full Version : timber selection for cabin joinery

wizard2
27th March 2007, 09:38 PM
Hi there, I'm in the process of restoring an old 30ft gamefishing boat and I am coming up to the stage of fitting out the cabin/galley with cupboards, table tops, benches etc... you get the idea. I have no experience in this area at all so I am wondering what would be a suitable timber choice. I have pretty good cabinetmaking skills, but would still prefer something that is easy to work with and of course, the cheaper the better. Also any tips on what to finish it with???

journeyman Mick
27th March 2007, 11:49 PM
I won't make any recomendations, just give you some questions to ask yourself which may help narow the field.
1. What is readily available in a good range of dimensions at my local suppliers?
2.Which timber(s) do I like the colour/grain of?
3.Do I need to be able to buy ply in the same species, and if so, is it available?
4.Which species are lighter in weight (important in boats, esp. planing hulls)
5.Is there any major cost saving to be had by using any particular species.

No point me recomending, say, New Guinea Rosewood, if it's hard to get where you are and horrendously expensive.

Mick

manoftalent
27th March 2007, 11:57 PM
mahogany is good, but as Mick said, price does have a factor and availablity may be hard too.....try going to a few boat yards/shows/repair yards, it may give you idea's having a stickybeak and or talking to some locals in that field ..