PDA

View Full Version : small lathe

Ikkyu
27th March 2007, 09:59 PM
Hi guys,
I was wondering whats a good small Lathe all I want to use it for is turning tool handles and plane knobs and stuff would those GMC things be any good??

Ikkyu

DJ’s Timber
27th March 2007, 10:11 PM
Jet Mini or Leda

Ikkyu
27th March 2007, 10:21 PM
thanks djstimber i'll look into those brands.

Ikkyu

DJ’s Timber
27th March 2007, 10:25 PM
Leda is available from here (http://www.cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107144882&product_id=1107369638) and Jet from here (http://gpwoodturning.yahoostore.com.au/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107136770&product_id=1107219999)

thefixer
27th March 2007, 10:30 PM
Do yourself a favour and don't go within coowee of the GMC lathe. The thing is only good for ,hmmmmmmmmmmmm , nope , can't think of anything it is good for.

Cheers
Shorty

Tornatus
27th March 2007, 10:43 PM
Do yourself a favour and don't go within coowee of the GMC lathe. The thing is only good for ,hmmmmmmmmmmmm , nope , can't think of anything it is good for.

Cheers
Shorty

"Boat anchor" is the term you're groping for, Shorty - although now I think about it, the bastard would probably rust away to nothing in record time .... :no:

DJ’s Timber
27th March 2007, 10:47 PM

Cheers
Shorty

Maybe a boat anchor :doh:

Tornatus
27th March 2007, 10:50 PM
Maybe a boat anchor :doh:

No prize for second, DJ!

Ikkyu
27th March 2007, 11:51 PM
Hi guys,
I'm in the market for a good boat anchor any brands I should be looking into:;

Thanks for the link djstimber within my price range which is good :D

Ikkyu

Solutions Aust
8th May 2007, 12:46 PM
Hi guys,
I was wondering whats a good small Lathe all I want to use it for is turning tool handles and plane knobs and stuff would those GMC things be any good??

Ikkyu

Have a look at the M305 Midi lathe on Woodfast www.woodfast.com.au

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th May 2007, 08:44 PM

Conversion to a linisher. I wouldn't touch an original GMC linisher with your wood. :D

Barry_White
8th May 2007, 10:04 PM
Hi guys,
would those GMC things be any good??

Ikkyu

I have one you can have for the price of postage.

rodent
9th May 2007, 12:34 AM
too dear postage is a killer bazza. Oh how about back fill for a hole guys and put gmc and its date of manufacture and death i mean there both the same date arnt they on the concrete .:aro-d::2tsup:

Frank&Earnest
9th May 2007, 01:21 AM
Pretty convincing unanimous vote about GMC lathe value. I remember having read recently about somebody using a "cheap lathe" to mount a 3 wheel buffer system, however. The local carvers' club also has some honing wheels mounted on a rod that can be held on a lathe between centres. Wouldn't the GMC lathe be adequate for these purposes? $75 would seem to be a good deal if it did the job.

ETA: if it WOULD do the job, Bazza, is postage less than $75?:D

Jim Carroll
9th May 2007, 08:49 AM
Ikkyu the Sydney working with wood show will be on in a few weeks so it would be a good chance to see all the lathes in one place.