PDA

View Full Version : benches in bathrooms etc.

celeste
28th March 2007, 07:59 PM
Hi all

I am thinking about putting in a bench/shelf in the bathroom.

I have seen some in display homes, where the cabinet's bench top extends past the cabinet over the end of the bath to the wall.

my question - how do they attach it to the wall - there doesn't seem to be any brackets.:?

celeste

arms
29th March 2007, 09:13 AM
Hi all

I am thinking about putting in a bench/shelf in the bathroom.

I have seen some in display homes, where the cabinet's bench top extends past the cabinet over the end of the bath to the wall.

my question - how do they attach it to the wall - there doesn't seem to be any brackets.:?

celeste

The usual thing is to screw some steel screws into the end then cut off the heads leaving about 25 mm of shank sticking out then put glue onto the end then line the top onto a line on the wall where you want the top to be then push the screw shanks through the wall to act as dowels while the glue sets
:doh:

bricks
29th March 2007, 07:22 PM
I've seen it done with a standard 90 degree braket that is fixed to the studs inside the wall and then gyprocked and tiled over before the bench goes on.

Hope that kinda makes sense

celeste
29th March 2007, 07:26 PM
The usual thing is to screw some steel screws into the end then cut off the heads leaving about 25 mm of shank sticking out then put glue onto the end then line the top onto a line on the wall where you want the top to be then push the screw shanks through the wall to act as dowels while the glue sets
:doh:

Hi arms

thanks for that Arms.:2tsup:

Also, If the bench top is say 800mm long from the cabinet, should I also put a (now to think of the correct name) Oh thats it batten along the long side and the steel screws at the short end? or will the steel screws and cabinet be enough to hold it up - I am thinking of using the precut laminate bench tops from either IKEA or bunnings. Further to that what if I used solid wood?

Celeste

arms
29th March 2007, 07:29 PM
Hi arms

thanks for that Arms.:2tsup:

Also, If the bench top is say 800mm long from the cabinet, should I also put a (now to think of the correct name) Oh thats it batten along the long side and the steel screws at the short end? or will the steel screws and cabinet be enough to hold it up - I am thinking of using the precut laminate bench tops from either IKEA or bunnings. Further to that what if I used solid wood?

Celeste

if the bench has only 800mm to span then i wouldnt worry about it ,unless you are going to tile the bench then it may move with pressure ,logic will always prevail
:roll:

celeste
29th March 2007, 07:36 PM
I've seen it done with a standard 90 degree braket that is fixed to the studs inside the wall and then gyprocked and tiled over before the bench goes on.

Hope that kinda makes sense

Yeh, that could work, I could attach it to the brick, after I dig a bit of render out so it is flush and just sit the bench on top then tile around it.:2tsup:

Thanks all, that given me a couple of ways, now to find a 500 - 550mm vanity cabinet. I can only find 400 / 450 or 600mm.

Any one in Perth know where I can get one.:?

Celeste