PDA

View Full Version : Is your hobbie woodworking or workshop building?

joez
29th March 2007, 01:32 PM
I have just spent a couple of years, building a nice little workshop and learning/honing my skills. I finally got everything sorted and guess what I havent been in the workshop in 6 months!!

I am starting to think my hobbie was building the workshop rather than woodworking. Has anyone ever been in a similar situation?

Dont get me wrong I still read all the mags and visit the forums I just dont get into the workshop:C .

Going to try to find some time to get in there and get started again, to be honest I feel guilty if it dont put all that equipment to use.

Interested to see if anyone elses has been in the situation?

joez71

RufflyRustic
29th March 2007, 01:42 PM
I have a fear that once I get my shed, I won't end up using it anymore, for whatever reason.:(

I'm pretty sure that won't happen though:rolleyes: :D

zelk
29th March 2007, 01:56 PM
Hi Joe,
Funny you should say that, I feel the same way. I am in the process of renovating my workshop and this is an interesting challenge, I fear that once it is completed I may never walk into it again, I hope it doesn't happen as I have invested fair bit of money into the equipment. I comforted by the fact that once I retire, which is many years down the track, the workshop will be there waiting for me
Zelk

journeyman Mick
29th March 2007, 03:00 PM
You mean that building up a workshop isn't an end in itself?:o :doh:

Mick

mugwoody
29th March 2007, 03:26 PM
By jeez Joe I thought it might just be me.

I am having more fun building and playing than sucessfully building much else and have this little niggle in the back of my mind that the "journey' is what its all about.

I have 2 sheds actually one at our factory and one on Flinders island which is a 20 ft shipping container.

I'm sure this will pass with time and I too am looking forward to the time when I can enjoy building stuff.

Currently the way it works is very much like the code of conduct found elsewhere on these pages and each time I go into the shed I am quite happy to stare aimlessly, move things around etc. Things still get done in order of priority but the most fun is in setting things up as you want them to be. Sort of like looking for the ideal world.

I think its a passing thing :rolleyes:

If not then no one is hurt and we have lotsa fun and hell isn't that what lifes about anyway.

Enough of philosophising, get on with it and enjoy.

Peter

Frank&Earnest
29th March 2007, 05:56 PM
By jeez Joe I thought it might just be me.

I am having more fun building and playing than sucessfully building much else and have this little niggle in the back of my mind that the "journey' is what its all about.

I have 2 sheds actually one at our factory and one on Flinders island which is a 20 ft shipping container.

I'm sure this will pass with time and I too am looking forward to the time when I can enjoy building stuff.

Currently the way it works is very much like the code of conduct found elsewhere on these pages and each time I go into the shed I am quite happy to stare aimlessly, move things around etc. Things still get done in order of priority but the most fun is in setting things up as you want them to be. Sort of like looking for the ideal world.

I think its a passing thing :rolleyes:

If not then no one is hurt and we have lotsa fun and hell isn't that what lifes about anyway.

Enough of philosophising, get on with it and enjoy.

Peter

Scary! Were we twins separated at birth?

underfoot
29th March 2007, 06:57 PM
hey joez
I too have suffered from SBNIHTJIS,(sheds built, now I have to justify it syndrome) it started off as a simple slab. intending to put up a quick frame,then tin walls ,but alas no ! I got into the hard stuff (concrete block) from there it led to harder stuff (rock)And then it really got out of hand.what started out as an 8 week project started me on a downward spiral..it is now complete,and it must be used for the purpose for which it has been built....but wait ,,I can't possibly start work without a decent awning at the north end..
cheers underfoot

Brown Dog
29th March 2007, 08:01 PM
Im going to try making woodworking more of a job (ie earn some money from it) so I can partly fund my shed building/kitting out hobby :U

cheers
BD:2tsup:

Just George
29th March 2007, 09:01 PM
My wife and I moved into our house mid2006, I now have my own shed rather than having to share my tools with a trailer in the unit garage we had.

I thought having this would be better and I'd be in there all the time, with SWMBO calling out "dinner, phone for you, or Where the hell are you - again".

NOPE, instead she asks "when are you going to start these projects?

You're not alone, so don't feel bad...

Just George
29th March 2007, 09:05 PM
Im going to try making woodworking more of a job (ie earn some money from it) so I can partly fund my shed building/kitting out hobby :U

cheers
BD:2tsup:

Ditto, this has been my plan for the past 3 years. Now however I have a big mortgage to pay so this will be more incentive now than ever before. I also want to buy the new Triton Thicknesser so I have to save/sell like crazy.

Purpleheart
29th March 2007, 09:14 PM
Hey Joez.

Seems you are not alone there.

I also spent a couple of years collecting machines and tools to enable me to build pool cues, with the aim of building a dozen or so each year, and selling them at great profit so as to pay for all the tools I had just accumulated.

But now I am lucky to build 2 or 3 cues a year, and most are given away as presents, or bartered for whatever.

Still, as others have said, the workshop and all the tools will still be there (hopefully) for retirement, when I will have more time......(hopefully) !!

PH.

Wild Dingo
29th March 2007, 09:15 PM
BLOODY HELL!!! :o Geez underfoot thats a flamin amazing shed!!! Cripes :o please DO NOT show me a pic of your flamin house!! :no: :o

ahem but back to the shed... Ive been suffering from severe shedbanneditis for several months now... Some days I meander dolefully out there and stand in me fav corner or on me fav moaning chair and groan sigh sob and just sit and ponder... Ive gone out at other times and spent hous painstakingly wiping the minute speckles of what appears but shouldnt be dust or sawdust from the benches only to dejectedly get a handfull of savings turning dust and other fine timber bits and chucking it up in the air... aahhh well at least Ive done SOMETHING this time! :roll:

I wander around in circles or spend hours polishing the table tops of the tools till they fair glisten... other days I glare at the lathe spit at the tablesaw curse the thicknesser sneeze at the bandsaw slap the router table abuse the hell out of anything and everything... just to make sure they remember me! :B The hand power drill and its mates the dreaded forstner bits get short shift I can tell you! :~ bloody things attack me will they by geez I'll flamin well show them whos the bloody boss of my shed! :roll: .. me! :doh: yep ME!! :2tsup: :U

It will get betterer :doh: ... it must!! :o retirements a fair whack of years of I hope dso I aint about to let the bloody things sit smugly out there doin buggar all till then by gar! :~

Severe shedbuilditis is yet another of my many manic things :roll: Can help it really I mean a bloke just cant have enough shed room... mind you having the shed plus the 40ft seatainer is one giant leap from the double garage of a few years back in Mandurah and a gigantic step from half the laundry I had as a workshop for many years in Carnarvon... but even so once a bloke {or sheila :; } gets the "musthavetoolitis" bug the shed will just never be big enough :C and boy are you in deep shyte if you also get severe "musthavewooditis" at the same time :o :doh: Im presently drooling over the thought and plan of getting another 40ft seatainer AND a bloody great 60ft x 20ft shed... aahhh to dream eh! :U

Cheers
Shane

but that shed whooooeeeeee! I want THAT shed!! :2tsup: :U

rsser
29th March 2007, 09:58 PM
The intention shapes the nature of the engagement I reckon.

One of the Greeks defined leisure as 'freedom from the necessity of being occupied'.

The shed should be a place of leisure if it's a shed and not a factory.

manoftalent
29th March 2007, 10:13 PM
well....I bought and erected shed no 1 and started fiddling around making this and that .....bought more tools ......fiddled.....bought more tools ......ran out of space ........bought shed number 2 .....the wife stole it .....with all the junk we never use but can't throw away, it became the mower/garden tool/storage shed of useless junk shed .....so I was back to the "I can't move in here shed"...work had me working all hrs and the only time I had to spend in the shed was from 9pm-11pm at night ......can't make noise at that time of night .....so it lay unused for a bit .....so now my work has me up early and home by lunch most days ( I work 7 days a week).....hence the new shed being built (workshop)....and when its finished ...not hell or high water is going to keep me out of it ....( yep I had wifes permission to say that)......lol.......only because she is sick to death of me telling her my idea's when I get it up and running ......reverse psyc works guys :2tsup:

tashammer
29th March 2007, 10:30 PM
yes, but on who Manoftalent?

Groggy
29th March 2007, 10:55 PM
well....I bought and erected shed no 1 and started fiddling around making this and that .....bought more tools ......fiddled.....bought more tools ......ran out of space ........bought shed number 2 .....the wife stole it .....with all the junk we never use but can't throw away, it became the mower/garden tool/storage shed of useless junk shed .....so I was back to the "I can't move in here shed"...work had me working all hrs and the only time I had to spend in the shed was from 9pm-11pm at night ......can't make noise at that time of night .....so it lay unused for a bit .....Hey, I was going to say all that! I just wish I could say shed 3 was on the way too :(

Frank&Earnest
29th March 2007, 11:14 PM
The intention shapes the nature of the engagement I reckon.

One of the Greeks defined leisure as 'freedom from the necessity of being occupied'.

The shed should be a place of leisure if it's a shed and not a factory.

The ancient Romans were even smarter: for them business (negotium) was the absence of leisure (nec otium), that is, the dredful obstacle to pursue intellectual activities. Ergo, everybody, retire early!

Vale
Frank

Sturdee
29th March 2007, 11:39 PM
Hey, I was going to say all that! I just wish I could say shed 3 was on the way too :(

Shed 1 is the finishing shed, shed 2 is the timber store, shed 3 and 4 are the garden tool sheds, shed 5 is for storage of bulky things that which the family don't need but doesn't want to part with, shed 6 is the chook shed and then there is the workshop, where everything has its own place and everything is in its place.

Yes I'm a sufferer too.:D

Peter.

manoftalent
30th March 2007, 12:21 AM
" shed two is the timber store"?....now there's an idea to free up the 2 car length carport......walks off for a chat with the "missus":roll:

oldbob13
30th March 2007, 12:52 AM
You guys talk as though this is a wood dust generated ailment.
Don't any of you own a boat? You know that great family bonding device that you just had to have. It sits there for 5 years until SWMBO encourages u to "get rid of that **** waste of space.
Our dreams must be tempered by the reality of our true wants and needs.
But there's no fun in that.:U
BobT

joez
30th March 2007, 10:01 AM
Looks like I am not the only one :oo:

hmmmm retirement would be nice, but unfortunatley thats about 25 years away.......

I made a promise to myself to get in there this weekend and to tackle some unfinshed projects , hopefully it will get my juices flowing :wink:

joez71

rat52
30th March 2007, 10:26 AM
What can I say. I too suffer but more from the fact I'm a hoarder and I just don't have the room.

I barely have room to restore the chair. God only knows how I'll do the table.

zelk
30th March 2007, 11:20 AM
You guys talk as though this is a wood dust generated ailment.
Don't any of you own a boat? You know that great family bonding device that you just had to have. It sits there for 5 years until SWMBO encourages u to "get rid of that **** waste of space.
Our dreams must be tempered by the reality of our true wants and needs.
But there's no fun in that.:U
BobT

BobT,
you mention, family bonding, efficient use of space and true wants and needs, as long as there is a mere trace of any one of these elements its Ok to pursue a dream.
Zelk:D

Rum Pig
30th March 2007, 12:02 PM
I'm still setting up my shed but I still have to fight of SWMBO and her idea that it is for storage, it might help if I remove all the timber out of the shipping container that is meant to store the s*#@T that we need but will never use???????:?:?

As for not getting in there and working on something that I promised A year ago well I found the answer to that (do not promise in the first place)I moved me beer fridge (filled with rum) into the shed :2tsup:now when I want to have a drink I must go into the shed also I can go into the shed for a drink and SWMBO thinks that I am working and will leave me alone especially if I turn the grinder on and leave it running.:cool:

I can not wait till my shed is fully set up at the moment it dose not even have a lathe yet but that is on it way so I will need to build a bench for it so I better fill the beer fridge up and get ready to do some work.

Good luck with your sheds and move that beer fridge in there you will not regret it.

Cheers Justin :drink2:

lubbing5cherubs
30th March 2007, 12:49 PM
I am sort of the opposite. I started with a hobby or obsession(not sure which) and the shed been built around me..LOL
Toni

Wizened of Oz
30th March 2007, 02:01 PM
What can I say. I too suffer but more from the fact I'm a hoarder and I just don't have the room.

I barely have room to restore the chair. God only knows how I'll do the table.

Strewth, rat. You and I could have an argument about who's shed looks worse.
At least we can claim to excel at something. :) :)

MajorPanic
30th March 2007, 08:11 PM
My shed is an on going project, adding/changing things to make it more efficient is a very enjoyable pursuit.
It's a bit like fettling a plane, it takes a while but the results are always improving! :cool: :U :U :U

WillyInBris
30th March 2007, 09:24 PM
I would and I am sure my mates would concur that I enjoy workshop building and so do they.

For instance last weekend had three mates over with the partners and was showing them my lathe and bandsaw etc and said I really would like to move this over there and this there etc and one of them said hey between the four of us we can do it in a few Min's :doh: .

Well one of them is really pedantic the other a bludger the other took place of the designer and I took place of supervisor and after two cases or beers and 3 hours it was all done. our wives weren't talking to us and we ended up having pizza then watched the footy in front of the TV in the workshop whilst they talked about all the girl stuff upstairs.

In the end all came good the wives got so drunk it wasn't funny and let us off the hook and now I have a workshop set up ready for tomorrow I really don't want to get it dirty though.:C

The guys said the only thing thats missing is the Bar and fridge but the offered to come around next month and help me with the bar :o

The wives should love that one.:oo:

buzzby
30th March 2007, 10:41 PM
I have a an idea on this

When u buy the new car it is clean too clean u dare to drive it in case it gets dirty or scratched so u just look admier how new it looks . Well this is what i do , get a piece of pine from the hardware cut it in half and then cut it in half agian now you've done it saw dust all over the place !. Now stand back have a beer now like spinage to popeye the wood worker within you breaks out . You see that a clean wookshop is an unused wookshop but a dirty wookshop is you're other room of the house .

If this doesn't work not to wory u get too drink a beer :doh:

Groggy
30th March 2007, 11:19 PM
In the end all came good the wives got so drunk it wasn't funny and let us off the hook and now I have a workshop set up ready for tomorrow I really don't want to get it dirty though.:C Thanks for the laugh, that's what friends are for after all!