PDA

View Full Version : Hey girlfriend !.... have you got any bookshelf ideas for me ?

JDarvall
31st March 2007, 02:04 PM
A friend of a friends mother in laws sister (:? something like that) has asked me to make him up a bookshelf. Freestanding.

Can't be too clever or else it'll take too long. The guys got a couple of porshes in the garage, and drinks expensive beer, so I'm not gonna do it for cost this time. :roll:

And I want to do something different than the norm. Got any flashy ideas, pictures. Something you've made in the past to show off.

Thanks. :)

masoth
31st March 2007, 03:13 PM
Made MANY years ago a free-standing book case consistiing of a series of rectangular boxes up to the ceiling, with a solid (say, 6mm ply) back. Each level had a long free end and this had mounted a wood carving (the lowest one was a vase) to act as a book-end.
Sorry have no pictures.

soth

Cliff Rogers
31st March 2007, 04:03 PM
This one is a bit different.
http://emporiumindonesia.com/Woodworking-Project-Plans/Boat-Bookcase-Plan.htm

This one is fairly normal.
http://www.mitre10.com.au/DIY-Central/Mitre-Plans/_category/Build-It/_name/Build-a-bookcase/

You could always build a wine rack & tell them it is a book case. :D
http://www.mitre10.com.au/DIY-Central/Mitre-Plans/_category/Build-It/_name/Build-a-wine-rack/

More here....
http://www.plansnow.com/bookcases.html
http://www.woodcraftplans.com/ah7340.htm
http://www.freeww.com/bookcases.html

JDarvall
31st March 2007, 04:58 PM
Thanks Soth and Cliff.

Found a few from the last 3 links that I like.

Appreciate that Cliff.

Wild Dingo
31st March 2007, 05:47 PM
A friend of a friends mother in laws sister (:? something like that) has asked me to make him up a bookshelf. Freestanding.

Can't be too clever or else it'll take too long. The guys got a couple of porshes in the garage, and drinks expensive beer, so I'm not gonna do it for cost this time. :roll:

And I want to do something different than the norm. Got any flashy ideas, pictures. Something you've made in the past to show off.

Thanks. :)

Now first up Apricot ol son... what is it? is it a sister? or a bloke? cause they are different critters an have different tastes yer know?.. see I knew you knew that!! but is it "A friend of a friends mother in laws sister" or is it a bloke thats askin for it? for himself? for his whatever she is? comeon ol son!!

knowing if its a sheila or a bloke will determine the type of offering that heads your way!

Like a sheilas one would have to include chinz curtains shag pile carpet all tissy little sheila type thingymabobs while a blokes? well a blokes would just be simple as... a few ol milk crates a slab of timber and bobs yer uncle... so which is it? :roll:

tongue in cheek so to speak :;

jmk89
31st March 2007, 06:46 PM
Ding - look where we are - It's the Ladies Bar (Wood Whispering Women)- :doh:
Jake was talking to the luvly ladies in here - getting some ideas from the toffs in the town who drink their beer sitting down, :D not like real blokes propped at the main bar. :p
So put a shirt and shoes on or drink in the public bar....:B

Jez

JDarvall
31st March 2007, 06:47 PM
Now first up Apricot ol son... what is it? is it a sister? or a bloke? cause they are different critters an have different tastes yer know?.. see I knew you knew that!! but is it "A friend of a friends mother in laws sister" or is it a bloke thats askin for it? for himself? for his whatever she is? comeon ol son!!

knowing if its a sheila or a bloke will determine the type of offering that heads your way!

Like a sheilas one would have to include chinz curtains shag pile carpet all tissy little sheila type thingymabobs while a blokes? well a blokes would just be simple as... a few ol milk crates a slab of timber and bobs yer uncle... so which is it? :roll:

tongue in cheek so to speak :;

yeh, sorry......:D ....I'll try again....its a friend of a friends mother in laws sisters son....... yep, so its a bloke. But he could be giving it to his misses ? :?

he's a fast talker on the phone, and he sounds like he doesn't know exactly what he wants himself. It doesnt matter, cause he doesn't mind what it looks like too much as long as it doesn't look like super Amart ?????. uno, has to look swish.

So, thinking, thin lines. A few beads here and there. Silky oak, cause I've got heaps of it at the moment. Paneled back. Crowned moulding around the top somewhere.

Cliff Rogers
31st March 2007, 06:51 PM
Ding - look where we are - It's the Ladies Bar ...
Yeah Ding... Geeze.... :rolleyes:
Do I want you as a neighbour???? :cool:
You might lead me astray. :D

JDarvall
31st March 2007, 07:00 PM
Ding - look where we are - It's the Ladies Bar (Wood Whispering Women)- :doh:
Jake was talking to the luvly ladies in here - getting some ideas from the toffs in the town who drink their beer sitting down, :D not like real blokes propped at the main bar. :p

Jez

:U yeh Jez. Talking to the luvly ladies. They often got a keener eye for beauty (so I'm told everyday). So Cliff ! Got any good design points ? :U :;

Cliff Rogers
31st March 2007, 08:11 PM
:U yeh Jez. Talking to the luvly ladies. They often got a keener eye for beauty (so I'm told everyday). So Cliff ! Got any good design points ? :U :;
I am sitting down drinking my beer...:rolleyes:
But it is only 'cos my feet hurt. :D

Wild Dingo
31st March 2007, 09:37 PM
Strewth fellas I thought Id get at least one rise outta the sheilas over those comments... but lookit that not one flamin sheila bites :roll: strike me roan whats the world and the forum comin to eh? a bloke can take the mickey outta the sheilas an they dont bite?? :o man ooooh man :doh: ... but brother talk about a bunch of :o ... ahem scuzzy :B Okay Im sittin down now got me daks an hobnailed workboots on an even slung a blue t shirt on me hemanlike chestybond :; ...just sos I could sit in here with the rest of yous sheilas! :U :U

An yeah I think Id at least make a real valiant go at that Cliffy... Im a wonder at makin up ABSOFLAMINLUTELY imperative we do this that or the other thing to the missus just to lean on me fav part of the bar at the local church of the great rubbetty slurpin down the good oil :2tsup: But its okay I can do the sheilas bar thing no worries :2tsup:

Says he gettin in touch wif his femin... fema... fimen... buggaritall!!! :~ sheila side! :q sorta like yous bunch of galahs eh!! :U :U :U no wukkers :2tsup:

Honorary Bloke
31st March 2007, 09:53 PM
Now Shane, what worries me the most is that I understood your last post perfectly. :rolleyes: I have always said, and I shall always say, that if I can grasp the essential meaning of WDs typical post, I am ready for my Aussie language comps. :D :wink: :D

JDarvall
31st March 2007, 10:04 PM
:U ..well, I reakon your doing real well Bob. Cause it took me a couple of re-reads to understand that myself.

Your the bees knees Dingo.... But I didn't know true blue blokes like you could type so well.

Cliff Rogers
31st March 2007, 11:23 PM
.... what worries me the most is that I understood your last post perfectly. :rolleyes: .... :D :wink: :D

:U ..well, I reakon your doing real well Bob.....
Narhh, :shrug: dead easy after 4 olds, 2 reds, a steak, icecream, 3 ports, & a partridge up a gumtree. :2tsup:
I bet he talks slower than he types.:wink: :p

tameriska
31st March 2007, 11:54 PM
:fish: taken the bait, and running :D

Wild Dingo, I apologize that I havn,t seen this thread before, but I was ( still am) doing one of those flamin sheila things, been braiding my hair this afternoon :p , and looking at my poor neglected curtainless windows, although I suppose that it's ok to put the curtains back up now that daylight savings has ended and they wont fade too quick now.:((

The scarey thing is, that I can match you on the hobnail boots, (blundstone, 1957)

Re the bookshelf topic, cant really help you on the asthetics of making it look fancy, my bookshelves are predominently (yeah, cant spell) designed to the most avaiable, cheapest aquired materials and built when my other bookshelves are overflowing badly.

If I ever get up that way, I'll sit in the front bar with you and have a drink (I'll have an ouzo tho, got cured of drinking beer by trying to keep up with my old man once, and once only, drinking beer)

Harry72
1st April 2007, 01:05 AM
AT the best way to ensure a good WAF is to match/contrast it to whats already in its intended room.
No point going shabby chic if its going in a blokey den aye... its a code violation.

RufflyRustic
1st April 2007, 09:54 AM
I've moved this thread to a more appropriate Forum.

Thanks
Wendy
Senior Moderator
Woodworking Australia's
WOODWORK FORUMS

2shane
3rd April 2007, 11:05 PM
My favourite design is the old wooden single bed frames.

Strip them, clean the timber up, remove all sharp and nasty edges and objects...

Lie the main boards parrallel, and mark where you want the shelves to be with a pencil line.

Apply generous amounts of glue to the frame joints... and rebolt up all nice and square.

Excess glue should of course run everywhere.

Cut up slabs of 2" x 4" pine (or what ever) to the width (or what ever takes your fancy) of the uprights (long wooden bits).

Cut the shelves to lenght - from nice dresed pine board. Wide for wide big books, narrow for narrow books.

Apply generous amounts of glue to the shelf joints... and clamp up all nice and square.

This bit sort of requires some fore thought...

But one ende of the frame is going to be the foots and the other the heads.

If you have a full square width of frame at the ende you want to call the foots....

Cut 2 nice lengths of 2" x 4" and apply generous amounts of glue to the foots joints... and clamp up all nice and square.

On this unit in the pix, I made simple angle iron feet....

To finish, go around the sharp corners with an angle grinder...

Leave overnight and bingo a NO bolt, fast and easy to make book shelf that is nearly indestructable and cheap.