PDA

View Full Version : What to do with pieces of wood a certain size.

soundman
1st April 2007, 07:15 PM
I've been breaking down some timber lately and I have quite a bit "laid down" that should be ready soon

so what do you make out of pieces of wood of a "certain size"

19mm or less is certainly pen teritory get too thin and its lace bobin time

35mm seems to be a convienient size to chop things into is this salad server size

45mm seems to be a common dressed 2" board thockness
Lots of tool handles will come out of this size and a bit bigger.

65 to 70mm seems to be a nice size to set the fence to and lots of stock timber comes this size

90mm ahh now we are looking at malet head size.

whats the thaughts

what do some of the common projects demand

cheers

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st April 2007, 07:39 PM
19mm or less is certainly pen teritory get too thin and its lace bobin time

Yep. No argument there.

30-40mm is around what I use for making decorative spindles for furniture, eg. chair backs, spokes for spinning wheels, etc.

(Geeze, I haven't done any serious furniture for a couple of years now! :oo: Really should get around to finishing the last s/wheel and freeing up some shed space... but that counts as one of my "incomplete projects" to conform with the Code of Practice.)

45mm seems to be a common dressed 2" board thockness
Lots of tool handles will come out of this size and a bit bigger.

Yep. Also my turned legs for furniture are normally in the 40-50mm size range.

The only things I can think of that I make in the 70-80mm range are rolling pins. There's bound to be other stuff but I can't think of anything off-hand.

Ooh! Ooh! S&P mills! :doh:

90mm ahh now we are looking at malet head size.

That's where I start thinking "goblets" or "finialled boxes," depending on the length at hand. :D

Of course, there's a lot of overlap (I've made goblets & finialled boxes from 20mm pieces and smaller, but they're... "less than practical" to say the least. :wink:)

La truciolara
7th April 2007, 09:40 PM
and below 19 mm ????
tooth picks :U

powderpost
7th April 2007, 09:57 PM
Aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh Laminators dream time.......... :fireworks:
Jim

echnidna
7th April 2007, 10:01 PM
200 x 50 and even 200 x 75 are good sizes to cut as they can be resawn to numerous sizes when you need them