PDA

View Full Version : River redgum pics

benji79
1st April 2007, 08:58 PM
Hey guys,

I know its not the best wood on the market, but I found a dead river redgum covered in burls on a property i go to.

Here are a few pics of what I done today.

First one is a platter made out of the last thin cut of wood, wasn't to sure what to do but it turned out alright.

Second one is of the biggest bowl Ive done so far. Got bigger bits of wood so ill be trying bigger, but the nova can only take so much. Been thinking about getting bigger jaws for it, still using the standard ones.

Let me know what you think.

Benji.

fred.n
1st April 2007, 09:07 PM
Benji, just keep doing what your doing. They look great :2tsup:

Rookie
1st April 2007, 09:11 PM
Nice looking piece of wood Benji. You've made some nice pieces out of it too. Look great.

If you're going bigger than the bowl in 2 and 3, might be an idea to get some bigger jaws, assuming your still using 50mm.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st April 2007, 09:45 PM
The main problem with River Redgum, IMHO, is all the inclusions.

However, in a burl the inclusions are part'n'parcel of the overall look, enhancing the end result and making for interesting pieces. Those're some damned nice bowls, mate!

I'll disagree with Rookie though... if you really want to start turning larger bowls than the std. jaws will handle, you really want to start looking at doing faceplate work. Just my opinion, of course, but larger pieces also tend to mean larger imbalances at the beginning and faceplates are just so much more secure...

(When correctly mounted, of course! Anything incorrectly mounted is a potential disaster. :wink:)

OGYT
2nd April 2007, 01:21 AM
Benji, truly nice work! :iagree: All of it. Faceplates are really more secure than jaws. :logic: But I also hate to use one, because of the time involved... :shrug: I'm always in a hurry...
I have and use the 47mm jaws a lot... but am thinkin' about gettin' the regular powergrip jaws next. If not that, then I'm goin' for the Titan with the big powergrips. :think:
Anyway... :way2go: :thewave:

Rookie
2nd April 2007, 09:42 AM
Happy to be disagreed with Skew because I'm still getting the hang of this stuff myself.

Explain a bit more because I understand about using the faceplate to start with. Shaping the base and foot, but when you turn it around to hollow out, don't you then use the chuck, or do you use another face plate? I'm just confused because of the screw holes that will be left or are you talking about a sacrificial base with a faceplate.

Gil Jones
2nd April 2007, 12:53 PM
Well done, Benji, you are doing fine work. Mighty nice wood too.

HappyHammer
2nd April 2007, 02:11 PM
The main problem with River Redgum, IMHO, is all the inclusions.
What are inlcusions the figure or the holes?:?

HH.

Wild Dingo
2nd April 2007, 03:29 PM
Happy to be disagreed with Skew because I'm still getting the hang of this stuff myself.

Explain a bit more because I understand about using the faceplate to start with. Shaping the base and foot, but when you turn it around to hollow out, don't you then use the chuck, or do you use another face plate? I'm just confused because of the screw holes that will be left or are you talking about a sacrificial base with a faceplate.

Rookie I think hes talking about a sacrificial peice... mmm seems I remember a discourse about just such attachin wood to jaws an faceplates some time back maybe someone will remember but anyways Im fairly sure thats what he was on about

Says he who hasnt been able or daring enough to touch the lathe for months now... but will in a few weeks time when the digits up an running again! :2tsup:

Well done Benji... I know of a nice elm that has a nice nobby bit sticking out of one wing that looks like it could be a goer... mmmm missus fav tree missus gotta go out sooner or later have chainsaw... mmmm

Anyway!! Greenie on its way mate! :2tsup: beautifully stunning figure in that eh :2tsup:

benji79
2nd April 2007, 04:09 PM
Thanks guys,

Ill put some new ones up next week, got about 8 more big bits of that wood.

Benji.

ss_11000
2nd April 2007, 05:17 PM
awesome bowls mate:2tsup: and it looks like there will be a few more to come! nice stash:cool:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd April 2007, 06:31 PM
What are inlcusions the figure or the holes?:?

The holes, sorta. :) "Inclusions" generally means all the stuff you find in there besides wood. :wink: In River Redgum you tend to get a lot of sap veins; sometimes lots of small pockets, sometimes bloody doozies that run for miles. In a burl, they tend to be just swirly little resin holes.

It's one of those things that has several different approaches. :shrug:

For mounting onto another faceplate, you can just turn a flat on the foot to glue on a sacrificial piece as Dingo suggested. Or, you can leave a stub the same as you would for a chuck in contraction mode and screw into that. This is what I prefer to do if the blank is still unbalanced even after turning the outside. It happens sometimes and although glue is surprisingly strong, I'd rather err on the side of safety. Especially when it involves big and heavy pieces.

Both of these need the sacrificial piece or stub to be removed later, that's when Cole Jaws or similar really come in handy. But, if you thought ahead and made the sacrificial piece or stub thick enough for the screws and a parting cut... then you can avoid that routine. :wink:

There are other methods as well, of course.

HappyHammer
2nd April 2007, 06:45 PM
Thanks Skew.:2tsup:

HH.

Rookie
3rd April 2007, 09:20 AM
Thanks Skew. I've got some different sized faceplates. I'll have a play around.