PDA

View Full Version : Veritas® Honing Guide Mk.XXXXII

Mirboo
2nd April 2007, 01:51 AM
Check out the new offering from Lee Valley. A Veritas® Honing Guide Mk.XXXXII (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=56737&cat=1). :wink:

journeyman Mick
2nd April 2007, 02:04 AM
Very funny indeed, :D wonder how many people thought it was for real? I wonder if they photoshopped it or actually made one?

Mick

Mirboo
2nd April 2007, 02:11 AM
I wonder if they photoshopped it or actually made one?

Mick

I was wondering the same thing. You'd think it would cost a bit to actually make one. If it's photoshopped then it is well done.

Harry72
2nd April 2007, 02:29 AM
Its just like that marking guage they had 2 years ago... the one that looked like a Gatlin gun had 12 or so shafts!

Mirboo it wouldnt be that hard to photoshop that.

jaspr
2nd April 2007, 11:14 AM
Well spotted Mirboo.

Do they do this every April Fool's day? Is that what the marking gauge was?

Looks cool!

Clinton1
2nd April 2007, 11:45 AM
and a nifty reference to the Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy.

Last year was the rare earth magnet tool belt, for hanging your planes off.

Rob Lee
2nd April 2007, 12:09 PM
I was wondering the same thing. You'd think it would cost a bit to actually make one. If it's photoshopped then it is well done.

Hi - $1400 to be precise... but we actually got two for that price...

Our internal rules are - we have to actually make the tool - and it actually has to do what it shown. All of the April Fools day tools exist! The tool belt is actually holding all of the planes hanging off of it ( several thousand dollars worth of antiques)....

In this case, the body is modelled in a resin, but all of the metal parts are..... wel... metal.

Photoshop is verbotten!!

Cheers -

Rob

(who spent the day driving to Buffalo....)

silentC
2nd April 2007, 12:25 PM
Good laugh, Rob. You guys really are a stand out company :)

One question though, if rare earth magnets are so rare, how come every second jig has some on it some where?

TassieKiwi
2nd April 2007, 03:16 PM
Bloody funny. Cool that you actually make'em.

Life can get too serious. Thanks.:D

zenwood
2nd April 2007, 05:09 PM
I'm wondering about the pricing figures:

$139.42 guide
$27.42 holder

---and lapping everything to constant thickness: a one-time trivial exercise, ha!

Poppa
2nd April 2007, 06:16 PM
I love it. I want one. And then I want a 12 inch wide low angle smoother.... :wink:

derekcohen
2nd April 2007, 08:02 PM
If you guys can just be patient for another week (or so), I will have a review of this honing guide completed. :U

Watch this space.

Regards from Perth

Derek

bsrlee
3rd April 2007, 01:30 AM
I'd like to say 'Thanks' to Rob and all the gang at Lee Valley. As well as the general service, its nice to see 'someone' spending on providing some entertainment for the masses :U