PDA

View Full Version : What is this old racer - help please

TassieKiwi
3rd April 2007, 09:13 AM
...and what is it worth? ($300 asked for). A cursory look tells me that it wouldn't be too much work to get shipshape again. What do you think? I'td be the first yacht for the family, nippers are only 7 1/2 &6. Seems a bit more compicated than the Sunburst.

Dan
3rd April 2007, 12:28 PM
At a (very) rough guess I'd say 505. Is there a mainsail with it? There could be a big clue printed on it. Otherwise a couple of measurements might help.

onthebeachalone
3rd April 2007, 12:52 PM
I'td be the first yacht for the family, nippers are only 7 1/2 &6. Whatever it turns out to be, IMHO, it doesn't look like an ideal boat for the nippers at that age to start out. You could put them off sailing for life. :o :o :o :o

JackoH
3rd April 2007, 05:37 PM
Looks like a skiff of some sort. Not, as J says, an ideal starter for little kids. Get a Heron or a Mirror.

Bleedin Thumb
3rd April 2007, 06:42 PM
it doesn't look like an ideal boat for the nippers at that age to start out.

Unless they... LIKE TO GO FAST!:)

onthebeachalone
3rd April 2007, 10:51 PM
Unless they... LIKE TO GO FAST!:)

Yeah but, have they got enough weight to keep it upright. And, if they do capsize, have they any hope of righting it?

Alternatively...

...are they good swimmers??

catbuilder
3rd April 2007, 11:00 PM
Hi All

Only a guess really, but could be Cherub (would a red heart on the mainsail) definately not a 505.

Regardless of whether its a cherub or not, one of that age would still be a possibility for the kids, but you might have do some sailing with them first.

As for price, its probably about right, depending on whether its got sails etc.., its obviously got a mast, is there a centreboard or rudder? I'd say $300 if complete (within reason).

Regards

Matt

TassieKiwi
4th April 2007, 12:36 PM
Thanks team. It has gone from the verge so assume that someone with less imagination than me bought it.

Boatmik
11th April 2007, 08:25 PM
Howdy,

A 505 is round bilged and quite differently shaped.

If this one is 12ft long it is probably a cherub - circa 1975.
If 14ft long it is a 14ft dinghy
If 18ft long it is an 18ft skiff (unlikely because it is missing too many identifying features)

But the unusual feature is the advertising on the side of the hull - the cherubs were not able to carry advertising until recently - normally only skiffs could do so.

Seeing that you can get a beaten up boat complete that sails NOW but leaks a bit for around $400 or $500 I wouldn't be offering much more that a coupla hundred. But only if complete and a trailer might sweeten the deal.

MIK

Mezaire
20th April 2007, 10:48 PM
Again I know this thread has probably run it's course but I thought I would just confirm, most definately a Cherub. They were very popular in Tassie 15-30 years ago and there is alot of them laying around in that sort of condition and worse.

Advertising would of been allowed in club races I guess as I don't think that boat has seen a chanpionships for many a year!!!

Boatmik
24th April 2007, 02:01 PM
Again I know this thread has probably run it's course but I thought I would just confirm, most definately a Cherub. They were very popular in Tassie 15-30 years ago and there is alot of them laying around in that sort of condition and worse.

Advertising would of been allowed in club races I guess as I don't think that boat has seen a chanpionships for many a year!!!

Cheers for the clarification on sponsorship Mez.

MIK