PDA

View Full Version : Blackwood and Acrylic Tables

Scissors
5th April 2007, 01:46 PM
Here are a pair of tables I just finished. As mentioned in the title they are made from acrylic sheet and Tasmanian Blackwood finished in hard shellac and wax.

The construction is pretty much all open slot mortise and tenon or bridle or whatever you want to call them. The acrylic tops were made with a router from a 20mm thick sheet of acrylic, it was my first time working with acrylic... it was, shall we say, interesting.

RufflyRustic
5th April 2007, 02:11 PM
Hi Scissors

Nice Work!! and that includes your photography setup too.:wink: :)

Suggestion: a bit more diffuse light would help as I'm finding the timber work a tad too dark to see clearly - or is that just my eyes :rolleyes: :?

So, what did you learn about working with perspex?:)

cheers
Wendy

Scissors
5th April 2007, 02:17 PM
Let's just say I learnt where fake snow comes from! Sorry about the lighting, I don't have any sizable lamps or anything suitable. :(

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th April 2007, 03:30 PM
Nice indeed.

From the pix, I think the uprights are squared stock? That would've made for some interesting angles to cut! Somehow I think I would've rounded them and saved myself some thinking... but I'm a lazy bugger. :D

How'd you finish the edges of the acrylic? Router and hand-polishing?

Scissors
5th April 2007, 03:54 PM
One of the tops I wet-sanded up to 600g then flame polished. The other I just wet-sanded all the way up to 1200 then polished. The uprights aren't square, in fact there aren't really any uprights. each table is made of the top and three 'tapered Us', the 'Us' meet at 120• to each other to form the upright. Lots of angles to keep track of, but at least they were all 'simple' 45s, 120s, 60s, etc, except for the tapers on the 'arms' and 'legs"

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th April 2007, 04:08 PM
My admiration increases then! :2tsup:

Brown Dog
5th April 2007, 05:33 PM
Very nice work Scissors...I like that design a lot....clean simple and elegant but with plenty of interest in how you have designed the parts to go together.

Sorry about the lighting, I don't have any sizable lamps or anything suitable. :(

If your are interested in lighting...I picked up some twin 500w halogen work lights from supercheap for $23 ( the kind on the stand)...Team that with a photographers umbrella (around $7 on ebay) or something to diffuse the light and...you have instant and cheap studio lighting. The work lights also come in handy around the shed.

cheers
BD :2tsup:

AlexS
5th April 2007, 09:23 PM
Very impressive, Scissors. I'm impressed with the way you've inset the tops into the supports - I would have been slack & just sat them on top, but have to say they look better your way.

joe greiner
5th April 2007, 11:11 PM
I'll bet it was "interesting." Very nice bevels. I'm not sure if digital cameras can adjust exposure time like film cameras, but some may be able to adjust equivalent film speed or other such tricks in manual mode. When all else fails, outdoor photography is generally bright enough. Erect a bedsheet or such above the subject as a diffuser.

Joe

Harry72
5th April 2007, 11:44 PM
For some reason they remind me of some martini glasses!

They look good Scissors, well done mate

Lignum
6th April 2007, 12:02 AM

My exact thoughts as well. They would be great in a bar/cocktail lounge. Well done Scissors. :2tsup:

Clinton1
6th April 2007, 01:48 AM
I usually don't like that post-modern, minimialist, whatever you call it style.

Your tables 'work' for me... I like them, well done.
Bet that keeping track of the angles was difficult, you must have had a well thought out plan. Greenie launched

Scissors
6th April 2007, 08:14 AM

I too had thought of that. In fact, the Sketchup file I made for them is called "Shaken Not Shaker.skp" :p

zenwood
12th April 2007, 03:50 PM
I love these tables, Scissors: the almost-symmetry of the forms is great. Any chance of posting the sketchup file so we can see the details of the design?

It looks as though the perspex is non-removable, which might be a pity in the longer term, since perspex scratches very easily. Did you think of doing them in glass?

Scissors
12th April 2007, 05:10 PM
I'll see if I can rustle up a copy of the skp when I get home, but unfortunately it doesn't have construction information in it only the 'shape'. The acrylic isn't removable, but scratches that result from the intended use will be small enough to buff out easily with some plastics polish. I wanted a thick top and prefer being able to work the material myself so I couldn't use glass. Also, I prefer the appearance of acrylic in the context of modern furniture.